Yarra Trails regulars

Beej1

I still remember when it was about 30cm wide most the way around that loop. Those rocky switchbacks you guys refer to is where I've taken my last 2 new bikes to make sure I could clear the whole lot, and that I hadn't made a mistake going all slack HA.

Having said that, "last 2 new bikes" is 2 & 5 years ago now.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, they've been pretty eroded for a few years now but getting worse bit by bit

I like it, slowly gets more challenging
Jesus no MTBers should be cutting corners. The rocky switchback climb is just fine the way it is.
Plus 1. I'm not great at technical stuff (but want to be) but I'll never be if all the tricky bits keep getting taken out. It's one thing I really dislike along the YT's, every time something or someone puts in a bit of a challenge someone takes it out!!

I wonder why no one hasn't filled in the big dipper yet...........

Last edited:

Big AC

Likes Dirt
If my 105kgs, propped up high on a bike with a 1,200mm wheelbase can get up those switchbacks then most should be able to make a decent attempt. There is only one section about halfway up which requires a little bit of line planning, the rest is just turn the cranks.

When I was out there last weekend I didn’t notice any shortcuts. Although I did notice that the straight rocky section about halfway up (just after the one corner which needs a little bit of line planning) was really wide.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plus 1. I'm not great at technical stuff (but want to be) but I'll never be if all the tricky bits keep getting taken out. It's one thing I really dislike along the YT's, every time something or someone puts in a bit of a challenge someone takes it out!!

fairies coaster, they're everywhere with their little shovels, picking pebbles off tracks, grinding down tree roots, the days of the hard core Neanderthal who would have a crack at anything are over, I'm now getting back from 50k rides with no cuts on arms, no bleeding shins, no bloody good mate.

cracker

Likes Dirt

or tried to move that massive tree?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
fairies coaster, they're everywhere with their little shovels, picking pebbles off tracks, grinding down tree roots, the days of the hard core Neanderthal who would have a crack at anything are over, I'm now getting back from 50k rides with no cuts on arms, no bleeding shins, no bloody good mate.
You sound so fucking grumpy mate. "Back when I was riding my 7 speed rigid we used to ride mountains and women". The only change to many areas of the Yarra trails is that they have got wider over the years with the 800% increase in users.
No one has sanitized your Neanderthal riding experience. You obviously ain't riding hard enough and need to go elsewhere. May I suggest Plenty Gorge or Smiths Gully. Should get bleeding arms and shins for the next 12 years out there.
Your anti basic maintaince tone is really dull and unproductive for these trails. You need to drive the change you want to see through action rather than snipes and "I like the old stuff better than the new stuff".
People looking for mountainbiking enlightenment from the Yarra trails are delusional. They are not technical, have no elevation, poorly designed and have got trashed over the years. That is not to say that the Yarra trails are an amazing asset to city cyclists, walkers, runners and naturists- but MTB nirvana they ain't.
101- I don't know what you are wanting from these trails but the past is in the past- let it go mate and help shape the future

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Easy on JD, I doubt 101 is calling for the YTs to become some extreme sport experience, just that it keeps some of the challenges in there. Surely you must also share the disappointment when an act of God or trail maintainer (are they the same?) puts something reasonably challenging in only for it to be removed? I know I am even though it presents a new opportunity to lose skin.

No one is expecting the YTs to be a mountain bike park, but I wish they'd stop making it the other extreme.

With that said it is nice to belt along the YTs after a SG ride, regardless of its complexity it's great to have. And unlike MTB101 I do still come home with cut arms and bleeding knees or shins, my speed often does not equate to my skill.

Got to love it :)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Easy on JD, I doubt 101 is calling for the YTs to become some extreme sport experience, just that it keeps some of the challenges in there. Surely you must also share the disappointment when an act of God or trail maintainer (are they the same?) puts something reasonably challenging in only for it to be removed? I know I am even though it presents a new opportunity to lose skin.
)
Nothing has changed. What's been removed. What's been sanitized. What "challenges" have been nullified? I could count on one hand the "challenges" along the entire stretch. Even Hans hasn't changed. These trails remain the same as they always have. Any work done will change with the next rain or 1000 users.

You talk as though filling in a rut or removing a fallen tree has somehow destroyed the experience.

The Yarra trails a a collection of odds and ends, of scrapped together linking tracks that except for Hans are all illegal. They have no input from Parks unless it starts to look like a MTB trail ( berms, jumps, etc). It is what it is and always has been. While this year there are a few doing their bit to maintain and make them sustainable - next year perhaps not. The trails ebb and flow depending on conditions and effort from individuals. Tell me why should anyone bother? You can't please everyone but what a whining minority.

I don't think I'm being harsh and I realize that 101 and everyone else don't want a MTB park. Once again- if you want something different then get involved- get active and lead by example. It is like complaining about the government after failing to vote.

Seriously why would anyone care ?

I'm on holiday on the Gold Coast for a month- I don't give a flying ratsarse about it- "sips beer by the lagoon"

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Let's get this straight - you can't build anything challenging along the Yarra trails. If fact you can't build a new trail, diversion or fill a hole. They are illegal and if you put in a berm, drainage channel or jump the challenge will be removed or the trail will be closed.

So don't you make the best of what you have? It is basic trail maintaince 101

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm on holiday on the Gold Coast for a month- I don't give a flying ratsarse about it- "sips beer by the lagoon"
Damn you, damn you to hell :)

So don't you make the best of what you have? It is basic trail maintaince 101
Totally agree.

I agree with what you're saying JD, just also annoyed that some nice little challenges get removed needlessly.

Have a great holiday.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One mans rollover is another mans poison...
Rode today and two rollovers in Bruce's have gone! They were tiny but still provided some interest in trying to be smooth over them.
I think we just have to breath deep and say the tracks evolve. The YTs are nothing like what they were 15 years ago - some better, some worse. What goes around comes around, and when you can take the stone from the masters hand you'll be a grasshopper. Or donkey dick. Or something...

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Ive been riding these trails for 6 years now I think. Mostly up the Kew to Heidelberg ends. I do go to hans occasionally. The trails haven't changed a lot in that time for me. I'm still doing similar times. Yes there are some new challenges with trees that come down etc, but hey what do you expect, go to Lysterfield, its just as bad there. In a perfect world someone would clear the tracks after a storm, but shit,this is mountain biking. The challenge is to go fast with a new course in front of you. Everyone goes faster if the track is the same all the time, you know when to duck and weave, but its bloody boring.

For me I'm happy that this is on my door step and I can punch out some K's.

JD. enjoy your break. Would like to catch up for a ride in the new year. Big bastards need to stick together. Always good to meet a legend.

Merry Xmas everyone. Might run into some of you in the New Year. At least I hope I do. See you in the New Year.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Goodbye Yarra Trails. I will miss you. You have been my friend and training partner for 9 years and I'll never forget you. I'm lucky to have known you and share you with others.
Goodbye YT.