XC riders getting bagged?

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's the whole perceived toughness/coolness/wankability that goes along with DH/Freeriding that is ultimately responsible for the whole XC - pussy thing.

They are two very different disciplines, both well respected within their own ranks and will always be seen that way.

The simple fact is, both are fucking fun, in their own way. I'm not the fittest karnt out there and tend to enjoy the lazy, but wide-eyed rush of flying DH and launching off shite I previously would have balked at.

But then we do get together, with the 'pussy bikes' and trundle off for epics, with lunch packed, and women to meet us at the end to cart our weary bodies off to the Pub for re-hydration. Hauling the long ones is simply awesome, especially when you push you limits and venture beyond your perceived capabilities, not to mention the sights you see!

However, if I do wear Lycra, it's conealed under my baggies! I feel comfortable with the extra protection of heavier shorts. Although...I do wear tight-ass dick pokers when clocking up kays on the Roadie...not a pretty sight! :wink:

i really have no problem with XC riders... i mean i used to be a XC until freeriding was more on scene,,, people say there pussys because they dont do huge drop or fly down nasty DH tracks,, y? maybe they dont want to!!! maybe there choice of XC is more interesting for them!!!! you dont see XC riders saying that freeriders are pussys, so y labell them as pussys

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
everyone saying "2 wheels, whats the diff?"
bullshit. 2 totally different aspects of sport.
dh is a more skills orientated sport.
whre as xc is more fitness.
dont say there teh same, thats bullshit.
the only reason someone like paul rowney is good at both is, he probably trained his arse off for both!

the only problem i have with the, well roadies, are is on the great vic, u have this bike with - to them chucnky tyres(26 x 1.95)- and whenevr u over take or go faster than them they crack the shits, and they walk around in nad hugging shorts even off the bike which scares me, but other than that i woudln't mind taking it up with dh, fitness and you dont have to heave a big bike round as much, if you wanna be a good dh rider or jumper you kinda have to do xc, but they i got nothing against em...its those dam old fogies road riders out there...

Dane

Likes Dirt
luckyphil said:
everyone saying "2 wheels, whats the diff?"
my take on that is cyclists should stick together - a la critical mass. i saw a cyclist copping shit from someone in a car the other day and it made me furious. i was itching to do something about it but unfortunately the traffic didn't allow me to do anything (lights turned grren). cyclists cop shit often, i just think why should we fight amongst ourselves as well. alot of you people should have a crack at road riding one day, it can be really exciting to say the least. many people enjoy a number of cycling disciplines. people you see commuting to work in lycra during the week, could very easily be ripping up the hills on the weekend.

Psycodh said:
...whenevr u over take or go faster than them they crack the shits...
...its those dam old fogies road riders out there...
ever tried speaking to these old fogies? i've heard some great stories from them. however as for your first comment on the great vic - i'd have to agree. thats just arrogance.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah we should all form an angry mob that way we could stop losing all our riding spots and the fogies are cool

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
luckyphil said:
dh is a more skills orientated sport.
whre as xc is more fitness.
dont say there teh same, thats bullshit.
Not exactly true, alot of XC racers are pretty damn skilled riders and it is important. Why? Because if you can ride rough terrain smoothly your using much less energy accelerating back upto speed plus your body's not getting as beat up.

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
Psycodh said:
the only problem i have with the, well roadies, are is on the great vic, u have this bike with - to them chucnky tyres(26 x 1.95)- and whenevr u over take or go faster than them they crack the shits, and they walk around in nad hugging shorts even off the bike which scares me, but other than that i woudln't mind taking it up with dh, fitness and you dont have to heave a big bike round as much, if you wanna be a good dh rider or jumper you kinda have to do xc, but they i got nothing against em...its those dam old fogies road riders out there...
fair call notb4dinner. but psychodh, maybe the "old fogies" are old? ur basing your judgment on an entire group of people how a few people react! thats like saying "a black guy stole my tv: ALL BLACKS ARE CRIMINALS!!".
ya just cant do that, maybe the old guy was a dick. so what? get over it.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
dh is skills based and xc is fittness?

bollocks

come on we all know riders who ride dh but can only blast through stuff 'cos of the 'talent copensators' fitted to the bike

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
umm ok, we'll give u a Santa Cruz and see if you can win the world cup. u'll lose, why? because u dont have enough skill. u give a marathon runner a decent bike, and he might just do ok at xc, why? because its FITNESS based.
o, and i said ORIENTATED, obviously u need to have elements of both, its just that u need a different percentage of elements.

wombat

Lives in a hole
luckyphil said:
umm ok, we'll give u a Santa Cruz and see if you can win the world cup. u'll lose, why? because u dont have enough skill. u give a marathon runner a decent bike, and he might just do ok at xc, why? because its FITNESS based.
Bullshit. They gave Lance Armstrong (a pretty fit bloke apparently...) a mtb and stuck him in an XC race and you know what? He got his ass kicked, simply because he couldn't handle the tech sections.
I also recall an interview with Scott Sharples (I'm pretty sure it was scott) in which he stated that he had ridden one of the WC downhill courses as part of a ride loop with Cadel Evans; they were both on XC bikes, and Scott said straight up that Cadel had hammered him. If you think XC riders are lacking in skill you're kidding yourself; you're doing a similar thing if you think top DHers aren't as fit as all f*ck.

wombat

Lives in a hole
If you really want to argue semantics fine, but lets not clog the boards; if you want to get personal we can do that too.
I'm completely aware of your final statement, but if you want your comments to be interpreted in such a general way then don't go making specific statements like this:
u give a marathon runner a decent bike, and he might just do ok at xc, why? because its FITNESS based
The fact remains that DH and XC at an elite level require much the same level of fitness, it's just a different type of fitness.