XC riders getting bagged?

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
carbonboy said:
Watch a good xc guy on a downhill section and it'l blow your mind. And try the same after exerting yourself for ages and the respect grows.
Exactly. There are heaps of XC dudes that learn to descend with flat bars and high seat posts, put them on a DH rig and the results are often pretty impressive. Plus there are heaps of 'hardcore' DH riders doing plenty of XC, Josh Street and Jamie Green doing solo 24 hour for example.

junior

get out of my grill
u find alot of the little allbie kids giving alot of XC riders shit, even thoy most xc are mad riders.

G

im an every type of rider so everyone gets my respect and no bagging out.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We also have to look at what the XC riders are probably saying about us!!!
It's all crap.. at the end of the day we all have pedals, wheels and a seat and ride through the bush!!! love it or like it the only real diffrence is the grade we're riding on!!

Velophile

Likes Dirt
Fat_Ride said:
I have no problem at all with XC riders... I used to race a fair bit of XC and the only thing I didn't like about it was the lack of social contact afterwards etc.
I would suggest heading down to the pub for a beer or two and the other guys would want to go home and hit the special juices, the ice packs etc etc....
The race & beer combo is big (almost compulsory) in the singlespeed scene.
Here in Melb the Tuesday night dirt crits finish with beers, included in your $5 race entry. It's a pity the season ends next week. :(
Hmmm... Night Dirt Crits... bring your lights..... hmmm

hardtail hero

Likes Bikes
i used to do some xc, its hard - trying to decend on a bike that handles like crap when ur completely stuffed. but man ive heard some ####### in xc goin on about 30cm 'drops'.!?

SPyX

Likes Dirt
30cm is nothing. Who was going on about that?

Thats the size of the steps in the Thredbo Division 1 technical section.

Yeah I'm going to give Downhill a go, because I really enjoyed the 'going-down-the-hill' part of the XC course.

AND I want to do more other riding, like DJing, but I'm freaked out by gap jumps - I fear not making it etc :S

SPyX

Likes Dirt
I think the same about DH riders as well, alexMc.

But everyone started somewhere, so I'm gunna probably give DH a go in April.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Get down a few days early and go and do some clinics with Raw NRG and you will be flying down the mountain before you know it :D

Jordy

RYD4LF
xc riders are still riders... i'd say the pussy-xc rider stereotype comes from them shaving there legs and wearing lycra...

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
An inspiration to all of you are two local guys: Paul Rowney and Rob Eva.

Paul Rowney has been racing internationally for years, parties harder than a pack of you kids combined, gets up the next morning and spanks the hell out of all but 2 or 3 of the keenest, cleanest dorks out there.

His skills on the bike are awesome, pulling decent air, wheelies, manuals, stoppies and pivot turns during "serious" XC races.

The guy rocks.

Rob Eva is the John Tomac of Oz (kids google for Tomac if you don't know :roll:) He was XC and DH national champ at the same time for fricken years and still rocks despite being in his late 30's. He still wins his age group in at nationals XC and DH every year.

These guys are where it's at, marginalising yourself as a "flearider" or "downhiller" is just dumb and narrow minded. The best riders can do anything because all the skills in riding complement each other. XC fitness will make you pedal faster in DH, DH skills will make you faster in XC.

Current national XC champion Sid Taberlay use to be a DH'er, 2nd place Chris Jongewaard use to race BMX. 'Nuff said.

Mr Pants.
Singlespeeder and brewed beverage taster. :wink:

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2_fast_4_u said:
xc riders are still riders... i'd say the pussy-xc rider stereotype comes from them shaving there legs and wearing lycra...
I don't know you've got to be pretty tough to take the shit when shaving your legs. I know years ago, before shaving your whole bloody body was normal :? , I used to cop heaps of shit for having shaved legs.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Mr Pants said:
The best riders can do anything because all the skills in riding complement each other. XC fitness will make you pedal faster in DH, DH skills will make you faster in XC.

Mr Pants.
Singlespeeder and brewed beverage taster. :wink:
I second that comment :D

And I will be taking your advice on the Google search ;) even though I just new, not young :D

SPyX

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I think my XC riding might help DH riding if I get into it.

So I'll keep at it, trying new stuff :)

schmook

Likes Dirt
iLikeBasS said:
SPyX said:
notb4dinner said:
I'm yet to come across an adult rider who holds that attitude.
Which attitude?
i think notb4dinner was trying to imply that its generally the younger more immature people who call xc riders pussies.
Been to www.sticksandstones.com

well stik is Oldddddddd. well a little older than 25 i believe. not a fan of xc.

his webpage amuses me, by why the slag off at xc?
rowney should beat him up.