World Rally Championships - Rally Repco Australia

Rallycamping

Cannon Fodder
G'day
I am about 3 Ks from the Bosch Eden creek road section.
21 ks west from kyogle and 15 Ks from the sunday Gondwana and Upper clarence section.
Campsites along the creek all taken

Last edited:

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
I'm jealous guys, would love to be there to spectate. I went to Rally Oz in Perth a few years ago and if this event is even half as good as that one was, then its going to be great!

Only tip is to drag yourselves away from the Super-specials and get into the forest to see the cars in their natural environment.....simply awesome!

My predictions - Loeb for the win, Latvala 2nd and Hirvonen 3rd with poor little Matty Wilson finishing down in 7th!

brindog

Likes Dirt
oh yeah only 18hrs to go before it all kicks off !!!
4:00pm at Murwillumbah tomorrow for the party, followed by the first super special stage.
Its going to be great.

Im all set, got 2 new battery's, a stack of tapes, and a new SD card, so I'm ready to go.

WOOHOO !!!

paulmc213

Likes Bikes
Protesters BOO

Stage 6 of the rally has had to be cancelled because protesters are waving yellow flags mid stage and throwing rocks at cars.

What a joke. Really shows the intelligence of some people.

http://rallyaustralia.com/

Hope the organisers and police can sort out this stuff and let the rally continue.

n00b

Likes Dirt
What I find so amusing about all this is that as soon as the rally is over all the people who are crying foul about it will be back driving around their shitty beat up barely road worthy cars that haven't had a tune up in the last 30 years.

Who is doing more damage?

God forbid that some people don't agree with their fanciful ultra left ideology. Aren't these the same people who constantly preach tolerance and acceptance?

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I find so amusing about all this is that as soon as the rally is over all the people who are crying foul about it will be back driving around their shitty beat up barely road worthy cars that haven't had a tune up in the last 30 years.

Who is doing more damage?

God forbid that some people don't agree with their fanciful ultra left ideology. Aren't these the same people who constantly preach tolerance and acceptance?
It's a belief system thing, logic doesn't come into it.

People can be so one-eyed about things. Like the bastards that have been putting tacks on our local (legal) singletrack.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So much for a non-violent/hostile approach to their protest methods.

Hostile Hippies...pure hypocrisy.

As I drove into Uki yesterday at work there was 'PISS OFF RALLY' written across the road. Like honest to christ using the words 'Piss off' is absolutely rediculous when trying to convey some sort of 'anti-rally' message is just rediculous, so much for not loosing their cool.

All those who are opposed to the event held a 'rally' outside council chambers last Friday. I was in town so naturally I had a geeze. The crowd they pulled was a complete embaressment and didn't help their cause one bit. Numbers of around 20 people were standing there holding their signs with anti-rally slogans whilst the coppers who were anticipating a much bigger crowd looked on lazily.

I can't believe they have the hide to throw rocks at the competing cars either!

If they're so fucking concerned why don't they contact some sort of animal welfare program and so some volunteering to look after sick/injured animals as a result of motor car collision!

nizai

Likes Dirt
Give it back to us, we know how to run one!

Nobody in Perth cares about the environment, too many of us are employed to dig it up! :D

N

sprocket

Likes Dirt
if i wasnt working i'd be heading down.. but these idiots throwing rocks should be made to do some real community service.. or i'll be the first in line to throw rocks back at them.. and I agree give it back to perth.. good reason to go over that way..

wombat

Lives in a hole
SO SO SO MUCH AWESOME!!!

Thanks to some rediculously early starts, 2500 odd kays in a Camry, a bunch of helpful people and a metric shitload of blind luck, I got to see WRC cars rip through at a range measured in inches. Even got some pwetty pictures.:D

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome Shayne, glad it all panned out. Where did you stay, what stages did you see and did the hypocritical hippies bother you?!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Thanks dude. We were horribly underprepared, so we thought we'd cruise out to see the SSS at Murwillumbah on Thursday.

Friday we headed to the official spot at Repco (Iron Pot Creek, Kyogle), and whilst it was cool, it still felt really remote, not like I'd hoped the rally would be. so we spent the rest of the day checking out a couple of spots, one that I found online (Wiangaree) and another that was a pretty random tip off, heading down to Peacock Creek campground.

Luckily they both turned out to be killer locations, so Saturday we hit up Wiangaree in the morning, then headed down to Peacock creek to camp there Saturday night and watch the two passes of Castrol Edge West on Sunday.

Was only a few spots, but so worth it.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
My dad and I went down on Saturday. Was a huge day, very rushed. We only went to the sardine cans (spectator areas), and we won't be doing that again. The organisation was pretty poor I thought and if I ever see a orange vested man again I will punch them. Hard.

I didn't think the WRC cars were all that quick either to be honest. The historic 911s were as nearly as quick in a straight line I thought, and sounded so much better.

Aperture has shat itself so I haven't been able to go through my photos yet, but this one caught my attention on the LCD. Those photogs are pretty committed.

Last edited:

brindog

Likes Dirt
We only went to the sardine cans (spectator areas), and we won't be doing that again.

The historic 911s were as nearly as quick in a straight line I thought, and sounded so much better.
they can do sweet donuts as well

here's one of the spectator areas at hill yards, apparently there was over 10,000 spectators in that area *note the line up of car's going into the distance, it carried on for about another k or so.

so much for the wildlife and stock being scared and stressed over the helicopters and rally cars, after a few cars the cows moved closer and closer too the road to check out what was happening, and wanted to get amongst the action. They loved it !!

and heres a screen shot of Jari, now officially my favorite driver, after catching him doing a piss in Knox Park in Murwillumbah, waiting for the SSS to get underway, I shouted at him "what do you think your doing ??"
Latvala reply was "sorry, but I have to go !!" so I say to him "good on ya, I don't care anyway" then ask him how he is finding the stages, and how he is going, he tells me, while doing a wizz, and then I say well "good luck then" and he reply's "enjoy the rally".................
man that guy is a legend:eek:

I have over 300 minutes of film, which I have to start editing, and I can't wait for 2011 for a even better event !!

wombat

Lives in a hole
here's one of the spectator areas at hill yards, apparently there was over 10,000 spectators in that area *note the line up of car's going into the distance, it carried on for about another k or so.
Yeah, nah fuck that. I'd much rather do it this way, thanks:

:)

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Yeah, nah fuck that. I'd much rather do it this way, thanks:

:)
That's what we're going to be doing in 2011. Fuck the spectator jails. Gonna go down a few weeks before and do a recce and find some spots. And take the enduro bikes for quick transport between spots.:D

wombat

Lives in a hole
That's what we're going to be doing in 2011. Fuck the spectator jails. Gonna go down a few weeks before and do a recce and find some spots. And take the enduro bikes for quick transport between spots.:D
Our recce was Friday arvo (yeah, I'm awesome at planning and shit!:eek:). Funny you mention the bikes though, there were half a dozen guys camping at the same spot at us, all with bikes (and the best camp compound I've seen!). They knew the trails, and could get from stage start to finish, with a bunch of spots along the way, and never had to cross the road.

We on the other hand, just walked down the stage, and had no worries in the end. Only one course car stopped to talk to us, and the official was great, just told us to be out of the way ASAP and not do anything stupid. Thankfully common sense seemed to be the prevailing condition, which was awesomely refreshing; probably helped there were only a handful of people out there too, we were even outnumbered by film crews!

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fark, I feel so dumb for missing out on alot of the action. A bit more gusto next time it comes around and I'll have a aweomse MacGuyver-esque type set up cracking!

kudos

Likes Bikes
i was in the service crew or car 76 (the red wrx) of houghton racing we ended up comming 25th overall which wasnt to bad for a priverteer,