Wombat track status

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Hi Roland, AFAIK, its between DSE and the club. Private promotors (not just the Dirtworks organisers) pay a fee to the club which enables us to do maintenance and construct new track.

I rode the track today and would guess it was 98% dry. Most of it was dry/dusty with the last 4km occasional puddles. There are quite a few trees down as well. I was surprised at how dry the track was and a heap of credit needs to go to the trail guys for making the track more weather proof.

For me, Wombat track is back on the list of current rides. Of course, this could change with more rain.
O.K. thanks. I was just noting the very different approach by the same organsation, DSE, depending on where you live and which trails you use.

Then there is a whole new set of rules for Parks Vic areas, which not surprisingly is also part of the same big government organisation.

Roland

fergo

Likes Dirt
O.K. thanks. I was just noting the very different approach by the same organsation, DSE, depending on where you live and which trails you use.

Then there is a whole new set of rules for Parks Vic areas, which not surprisingly is also part of the same big government organisation.

Roland
I guess the difference is all relative. We use the same area with motos and 4wds that carve the ground like a hot knife in butter :mad:, so relatively, we do the least damage. Possibly that's why they work with us, rather than against us :confused:? Maybe in your area, mtb has the most impact???

"shrug"

Stons

Likes Dirt
Will be no riding for a while again after today
I was planning to go up there this weekend, considering there is next to no rain forecast for the next few days I would imagine it should be OK apart from a few puddles?

Happy to be corrected if anyone has first hand information.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we are going out for a ride tomorrow morning (sunday 10/10) so will see what it's like.

Stons

Likes Dirt
A few puddles is probably a bit of an understatement, there were numerous puddly/muddy sections on the wombat loop... But the majority of the course was in great condition... A few more weeks of drying and it will be sweet for the Dirtworks.

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
If you think the 100k will be dry you are dreaming. There will be bog holes of the large type in quite a few areas. Yes the wombat section will be ok and we will try to get all of the native forest single track drained but the pines and old fire roads will most likely be a mess.

Still it will be fun just makes for a different type of riding and racing.

Stons

Likes Dirt
If you think the 100k will be dry you are dreaming. There will be bog holes of the large type in quite a few areas. Yes the wombat section will be ok and we will try to get all of the native forest single track drained but the pines and old fire roads will most likely be a mess.

Still it will be fun just makes for a different type of riding and racing.
We did some across some rather large 'puddles' on some fireroads that a few 4wd's were struggling to get through!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wombat loop is 90 percent dry, with some puddles half way round and in last 5 ks or so. Some of the badly rutted fireroads are very wet, and some sections beyond loop where m-cycles have been have deep muddy ruts (single track).

fergo

Likes Dirt
A few puddles is probably a bit of an understatement, there were numerous puddly/muddy sections on the wombat loop... But the majority of the course was in great condition... A few more weeks of drying and it will be sweet for the Dirtworks.
Keep in mind there was 20 mm of rain there in between the few puddles comment and when you rode it.

Stons

Likes Dirt
I am aware of that.

I wasnt saying it in a derogatory way, just commenting that track condition had changed because of the 20mm of rain you have alluded too.

softek

Likes Dirt
im over riding in the mud

maybe it should be canned just like CTS serious, I sick of cleaning my bike man.

softek

Likes Dirt
you yangs

I second that, You Yangs are the best for wet weather man. I vote, Cancel the dirtworks 100.