Product Review Wolf Tooth 104 BCD Elliptical Drop-Stop Chainring from Mountain Bikes Direct

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I am working on this as we speak. I haven't intended to do all the in depth reviews like this one myself and agree it's great to have several trusted reviewers on the panel. I also have a shortlist of members that I would love to give parts to to add follow up reviews on parts that we've got reviews on to build up a good review source. Can anyone see any problems with that? It'd give us a mixed review base on parts that can deliver a different result for other users.
Seems the biggest gripe was the lack of negativity in the review. Just give it to Haakon or Goldenshowers for an unbiased hater fest. Should balance things nicely.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Seems the biggest gripe was the lack of negativity in the review. Just give it to Haakon or Goldenshowers for an unbiased hater fest. Should balance things nicely.
Negative comments in a review are perhaps more welcome than blazing admiration but what's the point in making up something negative just to satisfy those who feel as though they need to balance it? In the case of this chainring, it's that good that there's nothing bad I can say about it but yes, some people may look for a reason to give it some beef.

dunndog

Eats Squid
My joke meter may be on the fritz and I hope it is because if you think this is some kind of cheap scam you've got rocks in your fucking head.

We did reviews years ago when Rob was still around, I was part of that effort. We received free product then and not all of the reviews were fully positive nor did they gloss over obvious issues. Neither will these so how's about everyone just gives this a bit of a chance before you try and read some one's mind with your awesome powers of judgement.

I was the one that pushed this issue forward with exactly the aim that Dozer stated: building a product review database to assist current users and to try and generate more traffic and attract new users to the website. If y'all haven't noticed forums are slowing down and many are dying due to changes in social media. Dozer has worked hard to set up this agreement with MTBD to achieve these goals and now he's copping some completely unwarranted shit from people who are judging him before he's even been given a chance.

Have a think about that for a minute.

And when you do, try checking out how much MTB kit that Dozer buys and sells on the reg and ask yourself if he looks like the kind of guy that needs to scam for a few minor bike parts.
Yep, on the fritz it is Johnny. 100% joking, pretty much poking fun at some of the responses leaning toward what you so vehemently raged on. I'm well acquainted with Dozer (we almost even met once nearly!) so I believe you just missed my attempt at a little light hearted hip and shoulder Dozers' way.
Quality rant though, and all valid points

I still reckon it's a scam though. Dozer reckons the Malaysian gp is cancelled?!
Sure it is mate.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can't figure out if Johnny is angry because Dozer scored all the green mentos or is trying to deflect attention from his own big stash of green mentos...

Either way I'm not buy a 32t ring.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I still reckon it's a scam though. Dozer reckons the Malaysian gp is cancelled?!
Sure it is mate.
Okay look. This year's race is going ahead in October but thats the last one! Honest! ;)

And Poodle, the Mentos aren't part of the gig. I get Creme Eggs instead. :mod:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
...Yes, both rings are 32. I am very keen to test that theory of a bigger toothed elliptical can run the same heat rate as a 32 circular, thats very interesting...
Moorey or anyone comment?

Anyone have a 34T elliptical for a test?

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey or anyone comment?

Anyone have a 34T elliptical for a test?
Haven't tried a size up yet, and no fucks given about heart rates, but it stands to (my anecdotal) reason a 34 will climb as well as a 32 non oval, and give the advantage of higher gearing on the flats. My next ring will be 34. Can't add anything until then.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Can I do a review of Oranges? They don't even have to pay me. It will be unbiased.
Here's the global template for you to use when reviewing an Orange:

1) Does your Orange frame sound like a two draw or four draw filing cabinet when it's on the trail?
2) How much expanding foam have you used to dull the sound coming from your frame?
3) What brand of TIG welder have you purchased to service your frame each week?
4) Do you dream of one day being able to lift your bike without a truck mounted crane?

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt

1) Does your Orange frame sound like a two draw or four draw filing cabinet when it's on the trail?
2) How much expanding foam have you used to dull the sound coming from your frame?
4) Do you dream of one day being able to lift your bike without a truck mounted crane?
Winning......

indica

Serial flasher
I think the use of the word exciting was confusing.
Doesn't sound like Dozer at all.

Good review but.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

You don't think Moorey got those muscle on muscle arms from using a crane to lift his bike?

dunndog

Eats Squid

Sub question 3A: What structural welding qualifications have you obtained in order to carry out the necessary welding procedures required on your Orange frame?

Otherwise nailed it Dozer.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Sub question 3A: What structural welding qualifications have you obtained in order to carry out the necessary welding procedures required on your Orange frame?

Otherwise nailed it Dozer.
You'd need to know how to spot weld a big hole after you put one weld on it and the material turns to molten. :laugh: