Wireless Dilema #2

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NEW:

Right, so I got the correct thing, today.
Belkin N wireless router.
Sweet!

Hmm, nah.
See, my internet goes from the normal modem to the computer via USB cable, NOT the ethernet cable.
When I try and have the ethernet going from the modem straight to the comp, it doesn't work, I don't get an internet connection?

Is there any way I can change this?

ISP - Optus

OLD
I THINK I BOUGHT THE WRONG THING!

I have a motorolla surfboard (the black one..), which has this weird screw on cable which runs to the wall, which screws into a little mount.

So, i bought an ADSL wireless modem.
Netgear DG834G

I don't know how to set it up, and I'm pissed.
There's also no CD that came with it?

Sorry, this probably doesn't make any sense but I'm just super frustrated:mad:

Anyone know a tutorial/site for this sort of thing?

Cheers.

Last edited:

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i got a dlink wireless router to go with my unwired modem and it was a f@#$er to set up just give moto a ring and they should be able to help you.

Sps.

Banned
Does something pop up when you plug the wireless card/does the card light up? If it does, what does it say when it pops up, or when you slide it in does it just sit there and do nothing?

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does something pop up when you plug the wireless card/does the card light up? If it does, what does it say when it pops up, or when you slide it in does it just sit there and do nothing?
Nothing pops up, stuff just lights up on it.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Are you trying to get the surfboard and the netgear to talk to each other ?

Or have you now signed up to ADSL and trying to set the netgear up to use ?

Sps.

Banned
Netgear DG834G installation guide

NOTE: If it stuffs up or something goes wrong, I am not liable for any damages, virus's or any other technical problems that occur due to the use of this software. I am in no way affilated with them and have no prior knowledge of how trustworthy the site is.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Netgear DG834G installation guide

NOTE: If it stuffs up or something goes wrong, I am not liable for any damages, virus's or any other technical problems that occur due to the use of this software. I am in no way affilated with them and have no prior knowledge of how trustworthy the site is.
He isn't on AOL and he is not in the UK..

This will not help him at all...

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds to me like you got the wrong thing? are you using cable internet not adsl? i have the same modem i think which is cable,

it would of been easier to just get a wireless router

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Bad news:
You have a cable modem (optus cable right?) and you bought a wireless ADSL modem. You need to buy a wireless router without an inbuilt modem. I have the same netgear modem you bought and I dont think you can use it as a wireless router by itself.

Good news:
Wireless routers are cheaper than wireless adsl modems, so go take it back and exchange it and buy yourself somethin' nice.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Is it a laptop?
Does it have wireless 802.11g or similar plastered all over it?
It will have a switch to switch on the wireless transmitter of the computer.
If it is a desktop or a wireless plugin card then disregard the above switch.
If you have an existing network that you are trying to log on to then ensure your network is the same network the computer is looking for.MS xp default network is MSHOME.
Beyond this,call a 12 year old;)

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I wanna use it for my ps3 and my laptop.

Sorry for the lack of info guys:

This is what I have for my internet.

The COAX is the screwy-ony-cable thing.

this is the wireless router/modem

Can't be done?

Last edited:

S_M_I_D_D_Y

Likes Dirt
No wont work. take your new modem/router back then buy a router without a modem then run cable from the ethernet plug in your current modem to the router. should work from there.

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No wont work. take your new modem/router back then buy a router without a modem then run cable from the ethernet plug in your current modem to the router. should work from there.
Okay cheers.
Gonna go exchange it now!