why did you buy that bike

dirt_street_park

Likes Dirt
Hey,
I'm not exactly a good rider, and i do have a pretty expensive bike, but my parents did not pay for it. I saved up every cent myself. I just think that it is pointless to buy a bad bike when you start, and then when you get better you have to buy another bike, it's a waste of money.
Just my 2 cents.
Rick

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think all these little rich kids getting mega expensive bikes is great!!! Being a cheap bastard myself I really love buying great stuff off these kids when they realise they can't really ride these monsters.

My 2 cents worth.:D

Weddas

Should we laugh or cry?
Well I think if they want a really expensive bike then they can have one! I have a hardrock and im better than most of the people that I ride with. And they have $2500+ bikes. So I hang on to my own quote
"Its not the bike, it is the rider"

Weddas

berkyburger123

Likes Dirt
Ok this is like a lot of things to me, it doesn't matter if you have a mega uber super fantastic space age rocket bike if you suck when you know you don't need it.

What a lot of you are annoyed at is someone who can't ride for crap but thinks they need the great bike they have. If soemone thinks they are top shit and clearly aren't then you can be annoyed.

But if someone has a pretty good bike but admits their not good enough for it then thats ok cos their having fun and they feel privelidged (sp) which is good because they dont take what they have for granted. If "It was my birthday and I wanted to treat myself" thats fine because at leats they aren't assuming just because you have it means you need it.

There probably aren't many people here who can say they havent ever bought something a bit better than they needed because it was a privelidge (sp...again) and because we are all vian and greedy deep down.

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
Don't a lot of people have 4WDs and only use them to drive to the local?
Don't a lot of people have Extremely Wide Screen LCDs and only watch All Saints?
Don't a lot of people have bling-bling instead of only bling?
Don't a lot of people have something expensive that is way beyond what they will ever use them for?
Don't a lot of people have...You get the idea.
It is all about how you look the part isn't it? - Now hand me my 661s I am off for a ride to the servo

- need milk?

AN AUSSIE

Likes Dirt
I think you shouldnt care about what other people are riding and just make sure you can show them up on what ever your riding .

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
What i would realy like to say is that i am one of those people in camberwell with a really nice kona downhill bike, and the reason for that is that i just so happen to work there. It also means that i have 2 bikes instead of one, and sometimes i have 3. also many of my mates ride kona bikes too, and most of them also ride Oragne Kona's. So old mate there who called one of them a shit head come say it to my face or there face and not on a forum. As for them not being taken off road well that is a load of shit, my bike has gone everywhere since i bought it, i dh most weekends on satday and sunday, i have been to most national rounds for the last two years and state rounds for the last 4 or so and i went to whistler for a month and did over 300 downhill runs. so that to me sounds like a dh bike that gets well used and costs me a shit load of money, not my Rich Parents, who for the record dont pay for shit when it comes to my riding. Just like most other people i pay for it myself. Dont just assume that because they have a good bike and dont look like they couldnt afford it that there parents bought it for them. Now i must admit a few of my mates parents did and do pay for alot of their bikes but like me they also dh alot. Also how can you tell if a bike gets used lots or not at all without inspecting it closley??? Maybe what really is going on is that they have alot of respect for there bikes and they clean them and take care of them?? Just because people have money and can afford to purchase expensive items dont mean that you can have a crack at them, they generally have money for a reason, they worked hard to get it, and it means that they can do wat ever the fuk they want with it. If that means buying a $250,000 sports car for the wife just to do the shopping in or a $7000 bike for the kid to go get milk then they can and will. We dont need anything in this world but food, water, fire, shelter and clothing to servive, but why do we have them because we can!!

Last edited:

mpdowling

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weddas said:
Well I think if they want a really expensive bike then they can have one! I have a hardrock and im better than most of the people that I ride with. And they have $2500+ bikes. So I hang on to my own quote

Weddas
i'm sorry, but please give me two poeple that have $2500+ and are worse then you?

I personally think, poeple ride for fun, and having a better bike creates a more fun experiance, so it makes sense.
what i mean by this is that, when out riding on 1 metre hucks, (or however you want to call it) riding of it on a hardtail is adequate (sp?) but riding of the same object on a high bred hucking machine, it makes life easy.

The whole point in money is to better of your situation of life, so a better bike is on the same lines.

wtr

Likes Dirt
Weddas said:

Weddas
Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

brad of sydney

Likes Dirt
heres my story

i bought my bike and at the time it was way to good for me, but i paid for it. i bought a bike way to good for me because it would encourage me to get better.knowing that i have a bike that is almost capable of anything (with me on it) tells me that the only thing stopping it is me. so this makes me try new things and hurt myself(and occasionaly land them). i have now improved alot but am still pretty sh*t. but i try my hardest and thats all that matters to me. plus it also means i will not have to buy a bike for a long time, letting me "save" my money.
hope this makes sense to people.

brad

hubbie

Forever 1,337
brad of sydney said:
heres my story

i bought my bike and at the time it was way to good for me, but i paid for it. i bought a bike way to good for me because it would encourage me to get better.knowing that i have a bike that is almost capable of anything (with me on it) tells me that the only thing stopping it is me. so this makes me try new things and hurt myself(and occasionaly land them). i have now improved alot but am still pretty sh*t. but i try my hardest and thats all that matters to me. plus it also means i will not have to buy a bike for a long time, letting me "save" my money.
hope this makes sense to people.

brad
I'm with you. An STP1 may not be hugely excessive, but it comprised of basically all my money. Coming from a 04 Mongoose Pro Rockadile ALX, it was a pretty big step up, but i had decided that with all the probs i was having, i needed a new bike. I wasn't what i'd consider a mountain biker then. I rode bikes but had never been able to access the community of MTBing cos the bike i could afford wasnt up to it. My family thought it was ridiculous that i was spending a now mere $1250 on a bike. I was so glad to get on Farkin when i bought it though. Meeting new people that could show me around did so much for me.

I'm not too worried about people having bikes bought for them, it's only when those people think, though you worked hard for your bike and they did nothing for theirs, that their better bike gives them a right to brag about it's superiority over yours. THAT pisses me off!

Plow King

Little bit.
hubbie said:
My family thought it was ridiculous that i was spending a now mere $1250 on a bike.

Indeed, I often get the "you could buy a car with that much".

the hard parts trying to convince them to let you spend 1000 on 2 pogosticks welded together with oil inside them.

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahah
My bike cost more than my bros car
my bike = $3000
my parents were hesitent but after 3 months on convincing they let me
Im still a grand in debt:p
ill pay it off sometime..
im upgrading parts and i havent evey paid off my bike:rolleyes:

anyway
Al

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
norcohavoc said:
Indeed, I often get the "you could buy a car with that much".

the hard parts trying to convince them to let you spend 1000 on 2 pogosticks welded together with oil inside them.
Hahaha thats what my parents said
I still them today that it is a whole lot more than "just a bike"