do you listen to music when you ride?

• yes

Votes: 193 50.3%
  • no

Votes: 191 49.7%

• Total voters

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont understand why so many people have voted yes. Next time you go for a ride, count how many people riding listen to music. Almost none I'll guarentee. Its almost 50/50 in the pole but its more like 1/99 on the streets. can anybody explain this?
I don't agree, I reckon I see 50% or more of other cimmuters listening to headphones. (on the roads that is).

I've never seen anyone listening to music off-road.

On the main topic, I have my music playimg from the loudspeaker on my phone when I ride - it's in a pouch on one backpack strap. It allows me to hear the traffic & the music. I get some odd looks at traffic lights but hey, I get odd looks anyway because I look odd.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think even sam hill listens to music when he rides. Ive seen an ipod straped on his back a couple of times.

I listen to music if im riding by myself, but i dont have it too loud so i can hear the bike.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Music when riding

Funny thing is that i listern to music when i go to the gym or do training. However doing DH/FR or DJing i dont. I think this is because it screws up my concerntration & too many things are happening around me to enjoy the music.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Road yes, dirt no
Only on long rides on the road, usually the radio.
Listen to music before riding, gets you all pumped up, DO IT

magni

Likes Dirt
Nope

Oooo its nice n close,nearly 50/50:p
Yer well if i put the ear plug in ital fall straight out again:mad: ahwell

axertes

Likes Dirt
No on roads.

Yes on footpaths.

No on the trail, but only because I criss-cross and/or ride up DH tracks and need to listen for DHers. Might start taking the mp3 player to safe trails and the XC track.

nicklikesbikes17

Cannon Fodder
i sometimes listen to music on the road but i dont think you could on dirt the ear phones would come out and you wouldn't be able to consontrait.

Luke52

Squid
Yeah, I normally have one earphone in, but not loud or anything.

Basically it's loud enough for me to hear the music, but I'm still concentrating on the road/track and can hear if there are faster bikers coming behind me and the likes.

So many times I am ringing my bell like crazy to get others to move over, only to realise they have both headphones in their ears, music obviously very loud, and are basically oblivious to their surroundings..

fairy1

Banned
Hell yeah, some solid punk or metal makes you so much more pumped and you will try stupid things you've never done before.
I use Shure noise blockin phones so I can't hear my bike at all, seems to work for DH I love it.

However I have to walk up the fire trails noe instead of the trail I just came down as I can't hear oncoming riders.

I recommend Rise Against, Anti Flag, Machine Head, Killswitch Engage and Static Lullaby to make you ride faster, no Jack Johnson or the John Buthole Trio(unless you have a 29er).

new guy

Likes Dirt
hell yeah

Always i don't go anywhere without my mp3 plugged in even riding moto's they help stop distration and help me consitrate.

like chewy anyone ever riden wile chewing gum works good?

thompo

Likes Dirt
Always i don't go anywhere without my mp3 plugged in even riding moto's they help stop distration and help me consitrate.

like chewy anyone ever riden wile chewing gum works good?
i can't concentrate generally listening to music, i need to hear the sound of the bike and the music puts me off.

Never tryed chewing gum but doesn't sound a brilliant combination.

i dont only listen to music but only when i ride to like bmx track or to school or shops not downhill because you need to concentrate so you dont stack and break something

prosheep

Likes Dirt
yeah i listen to the ipod when riding a bit only when im riding my short tracks though cause they arnt as steep and fast so do need the amount of concentration that you do with a full DH run.

matty hall

Likes Dirt
If im at DJs one of my mates usually takes a set of speakers that we hook an iPod up to. Really good because you can still hear surrounding noises and also if its good quality like ours you can still have it really loud.

Also if you have and iPod in your ear when DJing or street riding you loose a bit of balance because 30% of your balance comes from your ears.