Whistler 2011

Adrian Forrester

Likes Bikes
Just booked 18 nights accom for mid August. Check out alluradirect.com

Owner direct accom. No bullshit with travel agencies.

Still sussing out airfares but Air Canada seems to be the choice at the moment. Love the direct flight with no stopovers.

Going over with my wife and 4 other friends. Keen to hook up with some other Aussies for a ride and some after hours entertainment.

BJ4D

Likes Dirt

Still sussing out airfares but Air Canada seems to be the choice at the moment. Love the direct flight with no stopovers.

Going over with my wife and 4 other friends. Keen to hook up with some other Aussies for a ride and some after hours entertainment.

Thanks for sharing that link, looks like it'll really help me find some good accom.
I just booked my flights for this August so will be there from 10th - 28th :)

binner

Hath shat hymself

you are on it bud, alluradirect is good. We did the same, found a place then just negotiated with the owners direct, saved heaps and didn't pay tax.

Geez, now I want to go back this year again...3rd time in 4 seasons..... im addicted..:eek:

$2600 rtn with Vaustralia

Last edited:

ademb

Likes Dirt
Well Im super stoked, just got my VISA approval email this morning. Heading to the travel agent to book my flight now!

$2100 return with Air canada. Wish there was like an open ended ticket or something. Would be handy when you don't know your return date.

stevenw

Pro Rider
Just booked Rhys' ticket with China Airlines for $1600. Not a direct flight but not a bad price.

Just a reminder to all your riders under 26 years of age. You need to make sure when you booked your accommodation, that they know you are under 26. Some owners will not rent to younger people and I've seen them kick riders out for not telling them when they booked the condo. Some places will rent to under 26, but usually charge $1000 deposit.

Just something to remember when you book accommodation.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Just booked Rhys' ticket with China Airlines for $1600. Not a direct flight but not a bad price.

Just a reminder to all your riders under 26 years of age. You need to make sure when you booked your accommodation, that they know you are under 26. Some owners will not rent to younger people and I've seen them kick riders out for not telling them when they booked the condo. Some places will rent to under 26, but usually charge $1000 deposit.

Just something to remember when you book accommodation.
Thanks for the heads up, dammit where do they come up with these age limits haha, I thought id of cleared everything once I hit 25. Still not an adult it seems lol..

RDH

Likes Dirt
G'day. This may be a little off topic but for those of you who've done Whistler in the summer regularly, how do you find the weather? Are many, if any, of your riding days rained out? The reason I arks is that I was over there for 2 weeks recently attempting to snowboard and the weather just would not co-operate - got rained on the first 2 days on the mountain and then it didn't snow for the entire time I was there. Anyway, just curious.

Ciao
Ryan

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
G'day. This may be a little off topic but for those of you who've done Whistler in the summer regularly, how do you find the weather? Are many, if any, of your riding days rained out? The reason I arks is that I was over there for 2 weeks recently attempting to snowboard and the weather just would not co-operate - got rained on the first 2 days on the mountain and then it didn't snow for the entire time I was there. Anyway, just curious.

Ciao
Ryan
winter sucks when weather is shit. i didnt go boarding for a month because of the rain, we rode bikes in squamish instead

summer lifts run rain hail shine, but not when there is lightning in the area which is rarely or when its retarded windy. i find the weather the same as melbourne,

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt

Ciao
Ryan
Not sure if we were lucky last year (June/July) but was in Canada (Whistler, Sunpeaks, Silverstar, Kamloops) for 4 weeks and got something like 10 mins of rain the whole time. This included 2 weeks in Whistler.

Also used alluradirect.com and found the site/accom great.

S.

ex offender

Ciao
Ryan
It rains quite a lot in May, reasonably often in June, not much through July/August, but by mid September until the park closes mid October, it's raining fairly frequently again. As Jazza said, it's mostly similar to Melbourne weather except you never get the 40+ degree days.

Adrian Forrester

Likes Bikes
Yeah Woody. Same for us when we were there in August. 2 weeks, 10 mins of rain.
Will not be taking as many clothes over this year.
Warm all of the days 25 and the night were just a bit cooler.

Bring on August!!!! 5 months to go!!!

binner

Hath shat hymself
any info

hey , normally we aim for July and before crankworks, the weather is always tops, but it was fuggin hot last season at that time esp when our condo didnt have friggin air con!!!!.
This time I'm thinking of hitting it in late july to catch the last 2/3 days of crankworks then ride after that. Has anyone been there at the end of crankworks and what is the weather, mountain, crowds like after crankworks finishes up?. I was looking at 22nd July till around 12/13 August this time around.
Thanks in advance peeps.....

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 2 times I've been there for it, its a freeking ghost town the day after crackworx. Most people are shipping out to where ever they came from...The lift lines are back to their usual.
Make sure you catch the Canadian Open DH. Take a bunch of tinnies up the hill and bring your loud voice. Heckler's rock is the ticket for a good time.

binner

Hath shat hymself
^^^^ thats what I wanted to hear, could be a goer then to aim for the end of CW then do the riding......

thanks for the info Reubs

beardi

Likes Dirt
Whistler is an awesome place in the shoulder and dead seasons....lots of good deals on accommodation, restaurants etc.....I loved the later part of the season after crankworx, although to be honest i've rarely had a super busy day in the garbo zone, even during crankworx. Most of the crowds gather lower down the hill.

ademb

Likes Dirt
I arrived on the last day of crankworx last year, even with the canadian open dh race going, we had less then 10min waits at the village and straight on the lift to get up into garbo. The next 5 days of riding I got in where basically the same, I don't think I waited more then 10mins at anypoint.

It was great weather aswell, its nice been able to go out in the sun and not get fried like you do here. Lunchtime runs, then hit the lake for a bit then late arvo runs for the win! Sooo many hotties down the beach on a sunny day haha.