Whistler 2011

Stinky

Likes Dirt
heading over to work on Crankworx again. Considering dropping into the Mega Avalanch on the way over. Could be a very big few weeks on the bike.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bump this up!

I'm heading over on the 30th of June or thereabouts, is anyone looking for someone to share a place with? I'm going to be there for about 15 nights and want to get a group together to share a house/apartment.

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
For those looking to work over in Whistler, try getting in contact with Intrawest before you leave (Intrawest being the company that owns the mountains).

A number of people I know have been able to arrange interviews and have jobs sorted before they leave. And depending on your skill set, there's a hugeeeee range of jobs available on the mountain.
For Summer? I don't think they do it for Summer. My wife and I rocked up on the 1st of May last year without jobs. May is dead season that's for sure (aside from opening day), but it's good to get into town to sort accommodation around then. Bike park jobs start happening around mid-late may.

For those intending to work, FYI I've heard rumours of the Canadian Working Holiday Program changing back to the old system for Australians. At the moment we are extremely lucky and can get 2 year visas, renewable up to the age of 30. Apparently they are going back to the 1 year, 1 only visa so if you have worked there before you won't get another visa. I've had a quick look on the Canadian WHP website and can't see any mention of it but plenty of people seem to know about it over there at Whistler. I've heard if you get your application in before early December this year you may still be able to get one under the current system.
Everyone seems to be telling this story, but no one can get some definite information out of Immigration. Although my mate just had a visa renewal for two years, and when he came over the border the Immigration officer only gave him one year! Apparently it's at their discretion.

Just ordered my TR450 for next year. Stoked!

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Heading over in July again.

Anyone booked any flights yet? What prices did you get and who with?

My Mate got a special through Air NZ for $2K return. Prices at the moment seem a lot higher then this (excluding the long stop over flights like China) though.

Last edited:

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
My Mate got a special through Air NZ for $2K. Prices at the moment seem a lot higher then this (excluding the long stop over flights like China) though.
WOW!! Student Flights in Belconnen (ACT) quoted the wife $1100 return pp for flights at the end of July from Sydney to Vancouver direct. Can't remember which carrier it was though. Will find out if people are interested?

Last edited:

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
WOW!! Student Flights in Belconnen (ACT) quoted the wife $1100 return pp for flights at the end of July from Sydney to Vancouver direct. Can't remember which carrier it was though. Will find out if people are interested?
Yes please. Although I did go with Student Flights last time and their after sales service was crap.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Yeah Id noticed the flights are quite a bit more expensive then last year. Im waiting for my VISA application to go through before I book my flights, will be some time around mid July though

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
Heading over in July again.

Anyone booked any flights yet? What prices did you get and who with?

My Mate got a special through Air NZ for $2K. Prices at the moment seem a lot higher then this (excluding the long stop over flights like China) though.
$1500 one way with my bike with AirNZ.

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
For Summer? I don't think they do it for Summer. My wife and I rocked up on the 1st of May last year without jobs. May is dead season that's for sure (aside from opening day), but it's good to get into town to sort accommodation around then. Bike park jobs start happening around mid-late may.

Everyone seems to be telling this story, but no one can get some definite information out of Immigration. Although my mate just had a visa renewal for two years, and when he came over the border the Immigration officer only gave him one year! Apparently it's at their discretion.

Just ordered my TR450 for next year. Stoked!
They definitely haven't changed back. It's still 2 years, they confirmed it on the website about 2 months ago.

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Fyi

Just got return flights through Expedia for $2,200 with Air Canada

I spoke with Flight Centre and checked with Webjet as well and their rates were close to $3,000 (except for 30 hour flights/stop overs with China flights). Definitely check with all sites.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Just got return flights through Expedia for $2,200 with Air Canada

I spoke with Flight Centre and checked with Webjet as well and their rates were close to $3,000 (except for 30 hour flights/stop overs with China flights). Definitely check with all sites.
i got my return flight for $1600cad. van-syd-melb then melb-syd-van from expedia

kaji

Likes Dirt
is anybody heading there for late august early september? just starting to investigate passports, flights and accomodation

ademb

Likes Dirt
i got my return flight for $1600cad. van-syd-melb then melb-syd-van from expedia
Damn thats a great price.

The problem I'm seeming to have with some of the sites when I'm checking flights, their options don't extend far enough into the next year to fit into what I've got planned. Right pain in the arse.

For anyone that has been over for a whole season or longer, Did you guys just find accommadation when you got there, or were you able to organise that on the net or something?

And the same again for jobs, just winged it and flew over or set something up prior>?

tumble

Likes Dirt
Going for the full park season - May through til September.

Pumped as.
Hey bro.. I'm breezing into Whistler on 31st May for 3 days of on & off riding. If your keen to do runs together PM me. Always far more enjoyable riding with others.
ANyone else is welcome to hook up too.

darkmuncan

Likes Bikes
Im looking @ heading over from Syd in mid july for 2-3 weeks over Crankworx, then heading down to Van for a few months.

Anyone interested in sharing accom in the Village somewhere, hit me up.

Last edited:

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crankworx should be intersting this year- I was in Steed cycles a few weeks back when Cody from Red Bull rocked up. He was saying that the slopestyle is now sponsored by them (not Monster) and he'd just gotten back from talking to Semenuk, Bearclaw, Zink, McCaul and a few others about a new direction for the slopestyle. "Put the mountain bike back in slopestyle" was the resounding sentiment. There will be no shipping containers and assorted crap. It will be BIG and take a lot more work to build the course but will be worth it, according to him.

There was also a mention that Red Bull 5000 Down will take place on the first weekend of C-works instead of late season - to avoid the snow and get some big-name riders involved. More DH racing- more hecklers rock- f**k yeah!

The reason our visas got upped to 2 years is because a lot of ski hills rely on our slave labour and they were losing too many staff too early, so they applied pressure to the Canadian Gov. and voila! 2 years.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Im just waiting on my VISA application to come back from the canadian consulate, hopefully will hear back from them in the next week or two. Don't think Ill head on over till the 1st of August though, was looking at early July departure but given its peak season, I can save $800 or so on the ticket by waiting 2 weeks longer. Spewing that my olds decided to do a 2 month Europe trip, meant I had to stay in Aus to look after the house/younger bro for May/June, full season would of been great.

Anyone else going to be over there for the summer/winter? I'm moving over for a year or 2, gotta start looking at accomadation, work etc