Which tyres do you prefer and why

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I just struggle with the idea of putting something over 1kg, like a DHF II on the front of my bike if it’s not a DH rig.
Plus get all touchy about alloy vs. brass nipples on CF wanker wheels with the aim of rotational weight weenie saving then fit chunky phat rubber on them.

I know personally it is hard to avoid and have done it and will do it again but seems stupid in the bigger picture.

Even before cushcore and other tyre noodle devices are mentioned.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Plus get all touchy about alloy vs. brass nipples on CF wanker wheels with the aim of rotational weight weenie saving then fit chunky phat rubber on them.

I know personally it is hard to avoid and have done it and will do it again but seems stupid in the bigger picture.

Even before cushcore and other tyre noodle devices are mentioned.
In a 64-spoke pair of wheels, the difference in nipple weight is about 50g, so pretty close to f-all. Durability of brass is streets ahead, so really no contest, brass all the way.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
having a frame that can run anything up to 3.0 is quite the challenge..just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
in the last year I have gone from 3.0 down to 2.8 then down to 2.6. and then back up to 2.8....they all have their moments in the sun
currently liking the WTB in 2.8 Bridger/Trail boss on the Devinci...but I like the DHR/DHF in 2.6/2.8 on Bender!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
@Scotty T runs them and likes them for Canberra to my knowledge. I ran one on the front for a while but prefer the grip of the DHR-ll.
I run Dissector on the front at 2.6, and High Roller II back in 2.4. Plenty fast for me in Canberra, could have used more chunk at Thredbo. Not as taxing to push along flats and ups as DHR/F. I was running dual HR's before.

I have a spare Dissector, and a Roller (the last of my 5 tyre haul from @Litenbror and @Haakon), when I wear through the HR's I might get something else for the front and move a Dissector back.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
F: 2.4 DHR-II EXO MaxxTerra
R: 2.4 Rekon EXO Dual Compound

How does this combo go? A mate warned me off the Rekon but to me it looks like a faster DHR2, which is what I run on the back in DC (same as you up front).
Been loving it to be honest. DHR2 seems to do really well in the front, and I haven't had any issues with grip in the rear. Rekon definitely not as grippy as a DHR2 (not supposed to be either though), but it's much faster rolling & still has decent corner knobs that are predictable. In the past i've swapped the Rekon to the front and run a Rekon Race or Aspen 2.4 in the rear which works well too - more slidey in loose corners but still predictable.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The Conti Der Baron and Der Kaiser are as fat the WE, a true 2.4. Makes the Goodyears on the Trance look skinny :)

Only a couple of rides on it, seems pretty nice.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Good point about actual tyre sizes. Measuring side knob width I measured the following tyres all within 1mm of each other. Onza aquilla 29x2.4, maxxis assegai 29x2.5 and goodyear Newton ST 2.6. The assegai and aquilla were identical width on the knobs and the Newton ST was 1mm wider. Casing was similar width on all 3 visually but I didn't pull out the vernier.

Keep that in mind when sizing different brands tyres.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Good point about actual tyre sizes. Measuring side knob width I measured the following tyres all within 1mm of each other. Onza aquilla 29x2.4, maxxis assegai 29x2.5 and goodyear Newton ST 2.6. The assegai and aquilla were identical width on the knobs and the Newton ST was 1mm wider. Casing was similar width on all 3 visually but I didn't pull out the vernier.

Keep that in mind when sizing different brands tyres.
Measure on the sidewalls for actual vs claimed width.

Bear in mind that many stated tyre widths are still based on being fitted to narrower 19-25mm rims, although "WT" (wide tread) tyres to suit fatter rims are becoming more common. Wider rims than what the tyre is built for will increase its actual width, but can flatten the tread area, giving an excessively square cross-section and erratic handling.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The Conti Der Baron and Der Kaiser are as fat the WE, a true 2.4. Makes the Goodyears on the Trance look skinny :)

Only a couple of rides on it, seems pretty nice.
My oldest one loves Der Kaisers, even pays for them himself... 2 new ones just rocked up in the last German order.

MacAskill approved too on the 60° Dubh Slabs.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What? Young ratbag buying his own shit?? Wonders never cease!! :p
Lately any special parts they want, they buy themselves.

Dad will buy them Schwalbe Bike Park Tyres, sticky as hell with Rhinoskin sidewalls and at 1500g I reckon they are near bulletproof.

Even the tyre smasher #2 son wears them out.