Which tyres do you prefer and why

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Front…Michelin DH22. Ultimate grip. Rather heavy at 1.5kg but they grip like no other.

Other front options for me…
Maxxgrip Assegai with at least EXO+ casing.
Specialized Butcher Gravity T7 2.4 or 2.6
Both those options do well in a wide range of temperatures and it’s only on extremes of moisture are they lacking ever so slightly. I prefer the feel of the Spec casing and run them without cushcore with no dramas. Maxxis get cushcore.

Rears…
Currently got a Maxterra DD DHF 2.5 on the rear….it rolls quite well but does sacrifice braking grip. It’s not dangerous but it’s definitely making the rear end more mobile that’s for sure.
DHRII solid rear tyre 2.3 rolls better than 2.4
Specialized Eliminator Gravity T7/9 surprising amount of bite given the knobs are smaller than usual. Don’t last as long as a Terra compound but are grippier.

Went thru a Kendra phase but got turned off when the Pinner exploded in my hallway. The next one wouldn’t seal and the following one was equally munted. The Hellkat is a good front try but lasts for 20mins on hard pack and rocks.

Michelin Wild Enduro meh
Michelin AM tried on the rear briefly and it seemed like a good trail tyre. A set of these front and rear could be good for light trail use.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
WTB Judge 29x2.4 on the front (is meant to be a rear specific tyre like the DHR2). I had a DHR2 on the front before this and they both have a similar tread pattern. The Judge is prohibitively heavy but grip is amazing for the majority of my riding (You Yangs).

WTB Trail Boss 27.5x2.4 rear. Good grip and tough sidewalls (I'm a bit of a Clydesdale)

LPG

likes thicc birds
If sticking with Maxxis an Aggressor might be a good choice for the rear. I ran one initially on my bike and liked it for most things. It rolled well but I found it lacked a little bit in braking traction when going down something steep and technical where you need to drag the rear to maintain speeds. From my experience in Canberra there isn't much of that. A dhf or assegai in the front is a good choice to pair it with.

I've been running an Onza aquilla fr60 29x2.40 in the rear. I got 2 on special at $28 each ages ago and have been very happy with them. Possibly not as fast rolling as some but cornering and braking traction is good and very appreciated on some of our local trails. I've just installed a Goodyear Newton ST 29x2.6 on the front. (And put the 29x2.4 set on the hardtail). I can't comment on how they ride yet but they look good

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
DHF front, aggressor rear.

I keep trying different combo’s but always return to the ol’ faithful DHF up front, rear is either aggressor or minion SS depending on whats available.
I run the same and quite like them, although I think my 2.5 rear is overkill so might switch it out

moorey

call me Mia
DHF front, aggressor rear.

I keep trying different combo’s but always return to the ol’ faithful DHF up front, rear is either aggressor or minion SS depending on whats available.
SS is a fantastic summer and hardpack tyre. 2.3 seems particularly skinny with 27.5 unfortunately. Haven't looked at 29", but 2.3 is largest I've seen, and haven't seen 3C maxxgrip compounds. I haven't looked for a while though. Still running current old stock.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Nobody seems to mention High Rollers, why not?
Mid lean dead-zone, squirmy side knobs and not particularly fast-rolling.

I would be happy to run Michelin's from now on if they were easy to get. Rock'R2 on the dually and WildAM/ForceAM on the hardtail.

I just put an agressor on the rear to replace a worn Wild AM with undercut knobs and the agressor corners the same as the shagged michy and rolls much worse. Dont know why I bothered TBH.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
SS is a fantastic summer and hardpack tyre. 2.3 seems particularly skinny with 27.5 unfortunately. Haven't looked at 29", but 2.3 is largest I've seen, and haven't seen 3C maxxgrip compounds. I haven't looked for a while though. Still running current old stock.
It is abit thin but last bike had 25mm internal rims so it worked nicely.
I went 2.5 aggressor out back on the new bike, because more climbing grip should help on the hardtail.

Honestly for Canvegas riding I’d just be running DHF and aggressors year round.

moorey

call me Mia
It is abit thin but last bike had 25mm internal rims so it worked nicely.
I went 2.5 aggressor out back on the new bike, because more climbing grip should help on the hardtail.

Honestly for Canvegas riding I’d just be running DHF and aggressors year round.
26mm here with SS’s. Sometimes 29mm, but it’s a better profile on 25-26. Aggressor side bite isn’t quite there, but sounds like those conditions don’t favour big knobs anyway.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
XC/Trail here, my primary boots are Maxxis Crossmark ll on both ends. A remnant trait from my past roadie life, I like them matched.

Fast-rolling and good, consistent grip on hardpack & sandy or fine gravel loose stuff, and fairly progressive when they do start running out of grip, so you can play the drift, and bring it back into line pretty easily.

The intermediate rows of knobs are a bit more openly-spaced and angled than the original Crossmark pattern, which improves grip on moderate-sized loose stuff, and in wet weather is now somewhat tolerable instead of shithouse. Still being a low-profile tread pattern, it's a bit hairy on big gravel.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
On my race bike I run Assegai front/ Dissector rear.
On my CC bike I run the same.
But on my Enduro bike I run Assegai front and Dissector rear.
When my new wheel arrives I will change the rear to a Newton I got off @Haakon,
then my race bike will be Assegai front/ Newton rear.
My CC bike will be the same but my Enduro bike will Assegai front/ Newton rear.....

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Rocky with loose-over-hard is the standard surfaces with AM/trail riding being the style - but that's just for me and this thread should be just a general discussion tyres. The AM tyres thread is good, wish I'd found it before I started this, maybe I'l merge. Hadn't seen Oddjobs thread, yet to read that one too.

I like the DHF-II, but the weight penalty is pretty significant.

Nobody seems to mention High Rollers, why not? I was considering an HR-II 2.5 3C MaxxTerra up front and Ardent/HR-II on the rear.
I’ve got a mate who still runs High Roller II on the front and likes it. I actually like it too but I think there are other options now that do a better job. You definitely need to commit and tip them in hard to get traction but that can be fun.
For a front, I think there are tyres that grip just as well without the vague transition from centre and for a rear there are tyre that do everything as well but roll better.
I ride mostly pretty hard packed clay with roots etc. been rocking the Michelin wild enduro front and rear in the gum x compound and really rate it. They wear faster than maxis 3c max terra though. still love me a minion DHF on the front if i want something entirely predictable and hard working

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
If anyone can come up with a decent tyre to deal with the good ol’ WA pea gravel you’ll have a whole load of fans over here. Not sure anything works particularly well on that stuff

madstace

Likes Dirt
i wish 60a maxxpro was more available.
You reminded me of my old Maxxis Hansventures, were the same compound. Classically old school narrow 2.35s but they were fantastic all round tyres, rolled so well for the grip.
XC/Trail
F: 2.4 DHR-II EXO MaxxTerra
R: 2.4 Rekon EXO Dual Compound
How does this combo go? A mate warned me off the Rekon but to me it looks like a faster DHR2, which is what I run on the back in DC (same as you up front).

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy

Frenchies again for me. 2.5 for the front. 2.4 for the rear.

Tried the Goodyear Newton ST front and rear. But had a rear puncture out of nowhere, and shite in any mud. Also measures up small. 2.4 is more like 2.25. I heard the 2.6 is better (wider).

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
High Rollers, why not? I was considering an HR-II 2.5 3C MaxxTerra up front and Ardent/HR-II on the rear
This... Nothing wrong with an Ardent on the rear if you like things slick.

I'm more than happy with a HR2 or DHR2 front or rear. Good grip, predictable.

If I don't have anything else, then a DHF, but on the rear.

I've also been pretty happy with Onza Ibex when I've run them as well, either end.

I'm currently overloaded with tyres in my stocks, no idea what to try next...

Goodyear Newton ST, Mitas Kratos, Continental Trail King are all 29 non Maxxis that I have waiting for a go on the rear probably. Along with a Dissector in the pile as well.