Which MTB for enduro?

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Hi again folks.
Thanks again for all the advice. Noted the Treks have come up a couple of times now so will check them out as well. I can only afford the 1 bike and don't envisage serious assault on podium finishes, although enduros are going to become my main sport.
Have thought about the Scalpel as well but, again, having a bike i can tackle Manly dam with each weekend (live about 50m from it up in Allambie Heights) means a lightweight trail, rather than straight race, might be the go.
I have a bit of time up my sleeve until i need to drop some cash so will keep on researching. And keep the tips/advice coming!
Cheers,
Juz

beeza

Likes Bikes
Rule 1 lightest bike that is durable
Rule 2 lifetime frame warranty
Rule 3 buy the best and keep it longer
Rule 4 all new bikes are worth 50% of full retail when ridden once
Rule 5 you are buying a frame, frame design and a rear shock - all the other parts can be taken to another bike
Rule 6 races (enduros etc) are won and made easy by a light bike that can go uphill (near the end of a 100 I'm event you are too exhausted to belt downhill) travel over 4 inches is overrated,unless the bike is still sub 10.5 kg.
Rule 7 all bike frames break - refer rule 2.
All bikes listed are good bikes. Take a look at what front runners who buy their own bikes are riding. Look at the age groupers in National events and see what they ride. Merida 96, Giant, Yeti, Cannondale (Rize is a bit heavy go lighter) Scott Spark etc
Rule 8 what do you weigh? And buy what you feel comfortable on.
good advice here. warranty is important - i just had a very positive experence with a giant warranty that was probably my own fault (overly shortened seatpost). replaced frame no questions asked within a week.

a 4" bike does everything really. agree re seeing what top guys are riding. who wouldnt ride and a rate highly a bike that is given to them - woudnt be a good look would it. i do enjoy reading the "reviews" given by sponsored riders or advertisers sometimes. often amusing. how stiff do bikes get?

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
A lot of good shops have demo bikes you can borrow for a few days to try out. So take advantage of them. I did this and it really put me off the Rize.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like the Pivot Mach 5. Very comfortable for along periods of time and forgiving when I make mistakes.

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
The Pivot sounds really interesting. Any ideas of weight for a Mach 5? Will definitely take the tip re trying out a few demos as i don't want to hand over cash without being totally sure.
Cheers,
Juz

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Pivot sounds really interesting. Any ideas of weight for a Mach 5?
I haven't weighed mine. It is a bit heavier as a frame, but I believe that includes the bottom bracket and it uses a direct mount front derailleur. It pedals better than my old 3.5" travel Giant Anthem and doesn't have the dead feeling in the rear that the Anthem had. I like it much more than the Yeti 575 and Trek Fuel EX 9.9. I like the DW link better than VPP and HL suspension. Some people don't. If you can get a test ride of a few different bikes that'd be cool.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys.
Money is a little bit of an issue but this will be the bike that has to last another 6 years.
Most obvious choice Is a Giant Trance X. Very versatile and best value spec for the money, bar none.
Will do anything from the first climb, to the last gnarly downhill.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Something to consider about the "how light is it" question...is the stiffness of the bike and hence the efficiency of the bike. I seen a few "light" duallies which were far from stiff.

I've had the good fortune of playing with a number of really good bike over recent years, and the latest carbon Giant Anthem, is just friggen awesome... and if I might say... is a bloody "rocket ship".

Having said that though, probably the most significant upgrade I've seen that greatly improves performance, are the Fulcrum Red Carbon. Whilst there are lighter wheels available (these are about 1350g) there is nothing this light and this stiff. You could put these on any bike, and you would get an instant performance improvement.

Remember that light weight + flex equals your power output going nowhere.
Just a note on the Trance... I ride a current Trance, and I love it... but for enduro's I would only suggest this if you were 90kg+

Good luck

bazza

look at me
I would put a Pivot Mach 4 on that list. I love mine, great ride and I have posted some good times on it as well! I have only riden a hardtail though.

Knut

Troll hunter
Open your choices up

I have a Baum titanium hardtail and would never go back to a duallie. It is complient and faster than I can pedal it. It descends pretty sweetly too. For the record I have also come back from a bike accident breaking four vertebrae. So I am a little reserved when I hear hardtails cop it for back pain from rough rides. Sure, the rock gardens are slower, but everything else is awesome! It will only go where you put it. So you have to ride it. A sore back from a hard tail is mostly due to position. If you are going to race enduros, spend the money and get a good bike fit. Once you have that knowledge of your size, shop around and talk to people who race at the races or out riding, as well as the guy in the bike shop.

The rule set was pretty good advice. Buy quality once. Most of all, buy the bike that you really like.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Having said that though, probably the most significant upgrade I've seen that greatly improves performance, are the Fulcrum Red Carbon..............You could put these on any bike, and you would get an instant performance improvement.
For $3k+ that's the least I'd expect from them!!