Which MTB for enduro?

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Hi folks.
I am sure this is an age-old question but i am looking at trading my old 2003 Jekyll 800 and getting a new (or new-ish) bike for enduros.
Have entered the Angry Doctor, Half Fling, Appin 400 and probably the new race down at Narooma (Escape from Cobra Mountain i think). Am looking at a bike to do the lot, plus get me around Manly Dam comfortably.
Have narrowed it down to Santra Cruz Blur (or LT?), Cannondale Rize, Yeti 575 or BMC Trailfox.
Any opinions on these bikes (or others that may suit), or owner experiences, would be awesome.
If this is the wrong forum, don't hesitate to let me know, by the way!
Otherwise, looking for plenty of info!
Cheers,
Juz

Bermshot

Banned
All good quality bikes mate so money does not appear to be to much of a problem, obviously the lighter the better for endurance. Hard to go wrong really with those choices.

JBR

Likes Dirt
Pivot Mach 5? Looks to be awesome.

I have a 09 SC Heckler built at about 12.5kg, with TALAS 150's, which I use as my trail bike. I like the extra travel. I have done numerous enduros on it.

Think 12.5 - 13 Kg at very most , nice and comfy, 120-140mm travel durable componentry. My big tip - lightest possible wheel tyre combo - this will make the most difference in my humble opinion.

Check out the Hope factory wheel-sets with stans rims on chain reaction. They are awesome value and great wheel sets.

JB

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys.
Money is a little bit of an issue but this will be the bike that has to last another 6 years. An ex-demo or bike a couple of years old would suit.
Yep, saw the new Jekyll - looks pretty wild.
Also added the Pivot Mach 5 to list.
Cheers,
Juz

Beechie

Banned
MTB endure bike

Rule 1 lightest bike that is durable
Rule 2 lifetime frame warranty
Rule 3 buy the best and keep it longer
Rule 4 all new bikes are worth 50% of full retail when ridden once
Rule 5 you are buying a frame, frame design and a rear shock - all the other parts can be taken to another bike
Rule 6 races (enduros etc) are won and made easy by a light bike that can go uphill (near the end of a 100 I'm event you are too exhausted to belt downhill) travel over 4 inches is overrated,unless the bike is still sub 10.5 kg.
Rule 7 all bike frames break - refer rule 2.
All bikes listed are good bikes. Take a look at what front runners who buy their own bikes are riding. Look at the age groupers in National events and see what they ride. Merida 96, Giant, Yeti, Cannondale (Rize is a bit heavy go lighter) Scott Spark etc
Rule 8 what do you weigh? And buy what you feel comfortable on.

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
I would seriously be considering a carbon hardtail with clearence for 2.3 or 2.2 tyres ( for comfort and grip) i have ridden and wasted plenty ( read plenty !) of money on bikes over the years and this is the set-up i keep coming back too !!! sure im slower down the hills than some, but far out , you just 'GLIDE' past people up the hills!

this advice of course comes with no guarantee that it will suit you're riding style...if you are talking 24 hr races then a dually would be my preferd option......good luck !

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Great info everybody.
Totally agree re buying the best to last longer.
Have thought about a hardtail as i am a team-member in most 24s but solo in the marathons and shorter enduros.
Noted comment re more than 4 inches of travel as have heard this from a few mates as well in regards to enduro racing.
Weigh between 78 and 80kg (six foot tall) so the lightest i can afford would be awesome.
Cheers,
Juz

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?205452-new-enduro-duallie
Here's one thread but there was another floating around as well recently re. 4-5 inch duallies.

I guess in the end, it comes down to what sort of terrain does the majority of your riding entail, how often you race and where in the field you intend on finishing, whether you go 4 or 5inch, hardtail or duallie. I personally ride a 5inch dually (TREK Fuel EX9) and do lots of long distance but dont care that i lose a bit going uphill because everywhere else it's comfortable, fun to ride, fast downhill and forgiving when your tired.
It's all well and good to get a bad ass lighting fast XC machine but if you don't like riding it all the time and ya can only afford 1 bike, where's the value for dollar in that?
Dunno if that helps but that my 2cents.

Last edited:

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
'10 Stumpy FSR
140mm rear, sits a bit slacker, lower with a longer wheel base and top tube than a Blur LT

great trail/enduro bike

i guess you've got to ask yourself, "are you chasing podium positions?"
if you are then you may want more of a 'race' bike, Epic, Spark, Anthem, etc
but if you aren't but you want a bike that you'll use all the time i'd go for a Stumpy

Bermshot

Banned
If you haven't already have a wander through http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/ . I have found it gives you a reasonable idea of what various shops around the country are selling their stock for, there can be quite a difference in margin between shops. A lot of run out models to check out as well.

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
re - enduro choice

for the price bracket you are looking at, i would add a 'scott spark' to the list...i find them a brilliant all-rounder for the money especially with their travel and lock-out modes.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Cause if its a sponsored ride it isn't as good?
Way to miss the point.

If they're a sponsored ride, they didn't choose their bike. When people lay down their own hard earned cash on something, they usually try and get the best available for their money, and it's a reasonable assumption to make that the privateers at the front are experienced mtb'ers and therefore are making a fairly well informed purchasing decision.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
If they're a sponsored ride, they didn't choose their bike.
Surely they choose if its 4" or 5" or 6" or 29er or hardtail or sram or shimano or tubeless or flat bars or riser, or eggbeater vs shimano vs time etc!

I like checking out what the elite guys are using to see if there is anything lighter or faster or more comfy that I could be using! Im sure the elite guys also think carefully about what sponsor they choose so that they dont get left with a huffy!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Im sure the elite guys also think carefully about what sponsor they choose so that they dont get left with a huffy!
I don't know, are you trying to tell me some one like Jason English wouldn't Huffy up if enough money was waved in his direction? I reckon as long as it was painted red he'd be in. :p

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I went from a Jekyll 1000 to an 09 Specialized Epic expert and haven't looked back. It feels so much faster than my Dale.
If you are looking for a faster bike I would forget the Rize. It feels almost the same as your Jekyll. And I don't think you get great value on them. The rize 120 may feel a bit racier.

One thing that took me a while to adjust to is the front end on the spesh. It feels like it's made of hubba bubba compared to the rock solid lefty.
If you like the Lefty get a ride on the scalpel and maybe the rize 120.
If not, have a ride on some 4 inch duelies. S-sworks stumpies are nice.................

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
RZ 140 or 120 are both fine for enduros. With the pro pedal now days you get plenty of travel for normal trail rides or stiffen it up if need be on longer rides.
Bang for buck though, you can't go past a Trance. Although the Trek Ex are good value and a mate of mine swears by the bike!