When power tools attack.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
I was reading in the newspaper apparently some rubbish mulcher (cuts rubbish into small bits) got jammed. So the operator jumped on the rubbish to unblock it. He got caught and got mulched. The next day police found parts of him in 1000's of 1 cm cubes.

This is a story my metal work teacher told me. Someone was using an angle grinder and the disk exploded into bits and ended up in his body. It took 3 months to get the bits of disk out. The guy sued the company that makes the disks and got a fair bit of money.

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
Wasn't a power tool but in grade 3 I wondered what would happen when I put my index finger in a sharpner and turned....

Needless to say I got a band-aid and left at recess.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Are all you people incompetant, unco-ordinated or just bloody unlucky?;)Prepares flame suit.
I have been using drop saws and angle grinders for 25 years and never lost more than some skin. Mind you, the potential is obviously enormous.

So what is it really? is the frequency of incidents caused by the tool of the lack of respect for the tool? An early teenage incident with a table saw gave me a healthy respect for sharp fast things.

Incidents happen to both experienced and unskilled operators but rarely is the tool to blame.
More often the rush to get things done, particularly in the workplace, will either encourage the use of inappropriate tools or processes. Also, the next person to trip over or stumble on items left lying around the work area wont be the last.

Probably the most important thing would be adequate training.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One of the woodwork teachers at school put the tip of his thumb through the bandsaw. And didn't notice it till someone pointed it out...

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a guy in my construction class ut three finges when he was using the drop sy and when the teacher asked what happend he said it happend on the band saw:confused:

worst done to me would be when i was using a wood lathe and wasn holding the chisel enough and flung out and hit me in the nads!!

we all had a good laugh while i was on the ground in pain:D

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
^ Dude accidents happen, no need to put people down for it.
That's true. Hence the ;)
A tree branch falling on your brand new R35 GTR while you're tooling down the road. Now that is an accident. Nearly all of the posts above are the result of something that could have been avoided. Training and forethought reduce the severity of or eliminate these incidents.

The point is, What are you going to say to the victims family? Accidents happen?

That just won't cut it.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wasn't a power tool but in grade 3 I wondered what would happen when I put my index finger in a sharpner and turned....

Needless to say I got a band-aid and left at recess.
Funnily enough i've tried this before, and ... you must have bloody tiny fingers!

Matt H

Eats Squid
That's true. Hence the ;)
A tree branch falling on your brand new R35 GTR while you're tooling down the road. Now that is an accident. .
Or buying an R35 in the first place. That'd have to be some kind of accident. :p

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since when was buying an R35 an accident?

I nearly removed my arm with a hydraulic wood splitter. Rogue pieces of pig tail steel flicking into your eyes when working on a lathe is fun too....especially when you have safety glasses on.

Also had a piece of quartz stuck in my eye for a few hours when it was flung up by a chainsaw.

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a chunk of cut of disk from a massive bench grinder got me betwen my fingers on right hand... cut thw webbing and cut through to the bone... tendon was exposed!

nearly got my hand munched a month back when the chain off the chainsaw decieded to come flying off at flat stick

Rampage Ripper

Likes Dirt
I don't know about you guys, but when I weld some sparks fly up and go straight down in front of my helmet. But thats MIG welding for you

Also, I get quite annoyed when on a lathe and it just stops. Then you think, fudgknuckles, gotta press stop. Then you need to reset it all up again.

When the metal cutting saw leaves a razor sharp burr on the end and I grab it and get a nice, clean slice through my finger.

Not really machines fighting back, but when I'm in Engineering studies next door to the metalwork room and the year 9 kids are absolutley hammering the machines, muck up, leave chuck keys in and then turn the lathe/drill press on. Then you get in and the you need to sharpen tool bits and clean up after them.

Hey, whats in your metal work room. We have
-2 MIG welders,
-heat treatment area,
-soldering irons,
-linisher(sp?),
-bench grinder,
-oxy/acetylene torch,
-6 Hercus 260 Lathes,
-a drill mill,
-2 drill presses,
-a Hercus Horizontal mill,
-BROBO saw,
-buffer,
-Hercus shaper,
-some hydraulic jack,
-like 5 angle grinders,
-2 anvils,
-welding room,
-grinding room,
-two sheet metal benders
- and all the assorted drill bits, tap kits, die kits, more drill bits, nuts and bolts, broing bars, 4 jaw chucks, did i mention drill bits
- oh and a big rack full of all the steel tube and plate you could ever need

fairy1

Banned
Not me but a guy I used to work with, he usually used normal planes however when he used an electric plane he decided to check the depth it was cutting at, whoops plane was running, three flat fingers.

A dumb one from me, was welding inside my car, used the heat from a previous weld to dry some weld through primer. That was fine, dried super quick, cracked the next arc then bam massive fireball in my car, whoops forgot about propellant from aerosol cans is flammable.

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
one of my mates filleted his index finger on a bandsaw at school, there was blood spray all up his shirt, all on the bandsaw and all over the floor, he grabbed it wrapped it in his apron then the teacher came over and said, give me a look, he pulled his finger out of the apron and the teacher went white and said, put it away.
i think he went white because he realised how much paper work he was going to need to do. :p

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
A dumb one from me, was welding inside my car, used the heat from a previous weld to dry some weld through primer. That was fine, dried super quick, cracked the next arc then bam massive fireball in my car, whoops forgot about propellant from aerosol cans is flammable.
did the paper bag you were using as a welding mask catch on fire?

whenever im doing welds when my arm is bent i get sparks flying into the crack of my arm and burning me, and i went to give blood one time, the nurse looked at the small scars on my arm, gave me a really bad look, and i was like, im 16... its from welding. im not a junky.
lol
i dont think they will take your blood if you have used drugs...

Last edited: