Whats the best beer you've had & why?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
ANY free beer is great!
Nah....

I remember getting a slab of Tooheys Red gratis, and man, fark, In hindsight I would've paid not to have had to drink that shite.

I did end up drinking half a slab of it though:eek:

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Sierra Nevada from california tastes good.

And this local brew in Winconsin was ace as well, i loved the sales pitch "Buy local, drink yokel", classic!

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah....

I remember getting a slab of Tooheys Red gratis, and man, fark, In hindsight I would've paid not to have had to drink that shite.
Yeah, tastes a bit like licking a hammer. I don't quite understand this but my brother used to bring home a 30 block of red tinnies. Him and a mate would polish it off before going out. Stumps me why they chose to drink that rot when they could have seriously had any beer to choose from.

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah... I've been offered some homebrews that I wouldn't take if you paid me. Also, I'm not a stout drinker so anything that resembles vegemite soup can stay away...
I learnt that lesson the hard way, as Dad introduced me to my first stout the other night. I didn't finish it.

Little Creatures, Coopers Sparkling and Pale Ale's are great, and so is Heineken when you're out and about (except when it's bloody $7 a bottle, geez).

RCOH

Eats Squid
I learnt that lesson the hard way, as Dad introduced me to my first stout the other night. I didn't finish it.
You & Toodles obviously have tried James Squire's Chocolate/Coffee Stout. Only available on tap, fuckin' delicious but expensive at $8.50 a pint. Well worth it though. James squire also do a pretty 'normal' stout available at your local bottle shop.

scblack

Leucocholic
Nah... I've been offered some homebrews that I wouldn't take if you paid me. Also, I'm not a stout drinker so anything that resembles vegemite soup can stay away...
You haven't tried my homebrew - good stuff.:cool:

Johnny's was good too.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
I've been knocking back beerlaos for the past few weeks (being in Lao and all), and damn that beer is one fine drop. Easily the best beer in SE Asia, and one of the finer mass produced lagers in the world. It also helps that they are only $1 for a big bottle.

They've a new dark beerlao out now which is an Irish amber ale style. Not too shabby either.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
^^ Demo Dave - I got stuck into that too, thoroughly enjoyed it. not fantastic, but damn refreshing...

Graveclimber - couldnt agree more, mate. I lived on that for weeks!

Where abouts in Laos are you?

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I've been knocking back beerlaos for the past few weeks (being in Lao and all), and damn that beer is one fine drop. Easily the best beer in SE Asia, and one of the finer mass produced lagers in the world. It also helps that they are only $1 for a big bottle.

They've a new dark beerlao out now which is an Irish amber ale style. Not too shabby either.
Beerlao actually make beer? I thought they just made T shirts to sell to skinny dreadlock guys...

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Ok, I haven't drank one yet, but I just bought this beer tonight and I'm saving it for the end of a winter canyoning mission I'm going on this weekend.

In some really dorky way, I'm pretty excited to try it! All you climbers out there may know what I'm talking about....

http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/crag_rat_product.htm

Bummer it's so expensive though... $10 for a bottle! (For one person...)

Last edited:

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok having a bit of a debate with a friend at the moment. We sort of came to the conclusion that imported doesn't necisarilly mean good.

I'm drinking Coopers Sparkling at the moment ( what I opt for 50% of the time) and it suits me just fine. The bottlo's in my immediate area are pretty limited as far as imported beers go. I've been taking notes throughout the thread as I'll be visiting Dan Murphys pretty soon.

I've tried the regulars mention in this thread eg. Stella, Grolsch, Beez Neez, Heiniken etc and I still find that Coopers sparkling and Tooheys Extra Dry still come up trumps?

A wuick question...does anything else find that Beez Neez taste like a semi-fermented homebrew....it certainly tasted like the batch I put down when I tried it when it wasn't properly feremented.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
A wuick question...does anything else find that Beez Neez taste like a semi-fermented homebrew....it certainly tasted like the batch I put down when I tried it when it wasn't properly feremented.
I think a lot of the smaller breweries suffer from that problem. I agree with you about Beez Neez and Matilda Bay stuff.

I actually had a really good chat with a JAmes Squire Promotions guy at the bottleshop on Norton Street in Leichhardt about their then newly released IPA.

I'd bought a case a few weeks previously and thought it tasted green. I told the guy that, and he agreed. IPA is a style meant to bottle age (for the long trip to India) and benefits by a few weeks in the bottle, so they were going to hold shipments of the stuff to give it a bit of age. That guy turned out to be their marketing manager (this was before they got swallowed up by the corporate world) and basically got pissed with me in a bottlo while we chatted about beer. Squire's IPA is one of my favourites now they've got it tuned up properly.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and basically got pissed with me in a bottlo while we chatted about beer. Squire's IPA is one of my favourites now they've got it tuned up properly.
God damn, best I've done with my local bottlo staff is tune a friends sister.

As for squire, I really don't mind a JS Pilsiner.....it just takes a bit more of an effort to get my paws on it. As for the Indian Pale, can't say I've tried but I definitely will.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good lord... Tried a bottle of Little creature's pale ale tonight courtesy of Mr C allonby, and I was not a fan! Ted's, and coopers pale ale has gone pretty well for me lately... although I'm keen to crack open a bottle of my home brew, brewcraft munich lager... (been bottled for a month... want to leave it for three) Might have to grave dig the ol home brew thread soon for some tips :D

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'm keen to crack open a bottle of my home brew, brewcraft munich lager... (been bottled for a month... want to leave it for three) Might have to grave dig the ol home brew thread soon for some tips :D
A tip from me is to bottle a few stubbies. This way you can taste how the beer is going without wasting a full tally (this is if you are infact brewing in tallies to begin with).

And yeah, I was thinking about digging too, but I was thinking about leaving it to the summer months :p

NCR600

Likes Dirt
God damn, best I've done with my local bottlo staff is tune a friends sister.

As for squire, I really don't mind a JS Pilsiner.....it just takes a bit more of an effort to get my paws on it. As for the Indian Pale, can't say I've tried but I definitely will.
The JS Pilsener is excellent. All of their brews are. My GF worked in the local Bottlo too, so I know what you mean.

Good lord... Tried a bottle of Little creature's pale ale tonight courtesy of Mr C allonby, and I was not a fan! Ted's, and coopers pale ale has gone pretty well for me lately... although I'm keen to crack open a bottle of my home brew, brewcraft munich lager... (been bottled for a month... want to leave it for three) Might have to grave dig the ol home brew thread soon for some tips :D
Drink one now, set aside one for 3 months, 6 months 12 months and 18 months.

A year in the bottle is often the difference between an average home brew and an excellent one.