What protection?

The older I get the more protection I need so was hoping for some recommendations on knee and elbow pads. Nothing too hardcore just for those embarrassing get offs. I ride trails for about 2 to 3 hours at a time so am definitely looking for comfort to pedal up and go down.
Mick

before I gave up on clipless I was wearing G form kneepads.

light enough to forget about wearing them, has enough protection for grazes etc but you wouldn't expect them to protect you from say a fracture in a big off

dunno about the elbows but would expect them to be the same

seem pretty well made to me

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I wear these on my arms riding everything from Lysterfield to YY

They are comfortable, don't slip and aren't too heavy so don't cause hot spots.

At the moment I have hard-shell knee/shin protections but looking to get the TLD for my knee's and shins.

However... the TLD's are the only pads I've had on arms, so can't speak about how good they are compared to other gear.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
The older I get the more protection I need so was hoping for some recommendations on knee and elbow pads. Nothing too hardcore just for those embarrassing get offs. I ride trails for about 2 to 3 hours at a time so am definitely looking for comfort to pedal up and go down.
Mick
What sort of riding Mick ? Can`t speak highly of Fox Launch Enduro guards but recommend you try them on for proper size fit . If I`m riding just XC trails I will only use the elbow pads for the tree trunk brushes and the odd time I fall ( knee starts to bug you after a while with all the pedalling ) . The more gravity orientated the trail then both come out .

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running the new specialized atlas kneepads for a couple of months now and love them. Stay in place and don't notice they're there at all (apart from being hotter than wearing no kneepads but it just feels like I have longer shorts on).

I wear these on my arms riding everything from Lysterfield to YY

They are comfortable, don't slip and aren't too heavy so don't cause hot spots.

At the moment I have hard-shell knee/shin protections but looking to get the TLD for my knee's and shins.

However... the TLD's are the only pads I've had on arms, so can't speak about how good they are compared to other gear.
I have these aswell. Very good.

Also got some 7 idp Transition - also very comfortable.

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
On anything other than a XC race ie any normal ride, I've taken to wearing knee pads and elbow pads. Yes they're a bit hot etc, but I got sick of constantly having cut up knees and arms from even the tiniest offs/mistakes.

I'm running POC VPD air knee pads and really like them.

POC VPD Air.jpg

Can't remember what brand my elbow guards are, but they're similar concept - a semi-hard shell.

Attachments

Last edited:

davo231481

Likes Bikes
This thread has popped up at the right time for me. I'm also looking at reducing lumps and bumps on the old frame. Best price I've seen on the POC video knees is around 140 but a bit hesitant to outlay that without recommendations and I see a few here like them so might try these out.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I like G-form pads, I was a bit sceptical at first but now have had 2 crashes at over 30ks. I didn't have the elbow pads on at one time, only knee pads and shredded the shit out of my arms. Not much happened to the knees.