What might have been......

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My best friend as a teenager died when we were in our late teens, and our whole group of friends all sort of fell apart afterwards. They were all really nice people…

Finding myself pretty alone I ended up hanging around with an old primary school friend and my brother a lot more, both of which were drug fiend dickheads truth be told. Didn’t do me much good and took a couple of decades to shake off the shit from those years. The aforementioned deadshit “friend” fed me a shit tonne of mushrooms one night to show what a big man he was, and that kicked off an insanely horrific trip complete with an epileptic fit - that I believe triggered some hardcore depression and I was never really the same afterwards.

Have since long ditched that guy and my brother mostly as well and am a lot happier for it! But still wonder how much happier my 20s and 30s might have been with my friends from my early mid teens…

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Not really a what could have been for me, but more for someone else.

Met a cool canadian girl when travelling about 25 years ago. Stayed in contact after I got back and she was going to come over to Perth but I wasn’t sure I was as keen as she was and thought it best to be honest about it. So she changed her plans and took a job offer instead and subsequently died in an accident on the second day.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

Met a cool canadian girl when travelling about 25 years ago. Stayed in contact after I got back and she was going to come over to Perth but I wasn’t sure I was as keen as she was and thought it best to be honest about it. So she changed her plans and took a job offer instead and subsequently died in an accident on the second day.
So, you were responsible!!! :p

Seriously though, that's pretty rough. Life draws some shitty cards sometimes.

Jabubu

let you google that for me

Mate that's terrible. Did you suffer any guilt over it?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
View attachment 407914

When start thinking about what ifs I end up way too deep in though concerned about things I somehow managed to get through unscathed.
My coping mechanism is to imagine the worst case scenario.

Yes, I could be an Apple multi-millionaire, but then I might have bought some high powered car and written myself off or had a heart attack following a hookers and blow binge. Better choices don’t guarantee a better outcome.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS

Similar story to an old girlfriend of mine. We were together for a couple of years at Uni, but I ended up taking a job in the Antarctic with the Brits and called it off because I didn't want to deal with the long distance stuff, and wasn't sure that it was a forever situation. Whilst we were together I got her into camping and overnight hiking, and we often fantasized about going overseas to do trails like Milford Sound, or to New Guinea to do the Kokoda trail. Anyway after we split she decided to go and do the walk with one of her mates. They were both on a plane that crashed on route to the start of the trail. I often think that if we had stayed together I would've been on that plane with her.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
So many positive and negative memories come flooding forward reading all these stories. I’ve way too many fucked up ones I’m never sharing. I have learnt the really hard way it’s better to regret something you have done then something you haven’t done.
It’s taken me 90 mins to write this, fighting back tears.

One of the more light hearted ones. 1998ish, got the opportunity to do a dozen laps around Philip island race track in a VH Commodore Cup car, without a cams license, on a Mazda club day. So long ago now I forget the owners name, he had rented the holiday house next to my families at the island, and I asked to tag along to offer assistance, I had previously helped a high school mates dad go group n historic racing so had half a clue. Dude was raw dogging the event on his own, had recently separated from the wife.

Intention was me driving so the cars owner could check out some niggling noises he was wanting to check out at the end of the day when pretty much every other car had blown up, used up all its tires/brakes, been black flagged for being louder then the space shuttle, etc. I’d been to a few of these club days, the Jaguar day was the most spectacular, two-three hours in, no jags left running, was basically the jag club subsidising cheap track days for others. Jag guys had passion in spades, the old v12 two door XJS coup Walkinshaw Bathurst 1000 car had like 6 dudes all fighting to have a go like kids at kindergarten in the sand pit.

I manage to go under 2 minutes in the VH, which was within 1 second of the fastest time posted by a VH commodore cup car at the time at the Island. Think the VK Cup cars at the time we’re in the 1:58s. On the day Cameron McConville was there, super friendly dude to chat to. So humble for a young dude only a few years older then me. I sure didn’t even know the definition of humble back then. Fuck he was fast. First time in a 993 RS CS and he’s going sub 1:51 times on his first time out in the car and everyone’s got raised eye brows and pulling stop watches out. (The track rules were/are club days were not timed events)

I failed to follow through with an invite to a sanctioned test day. Fucking bone head. JFC. Commodore Cup was one of the unofficial feeder series at the time.

Sometime soon I’m going to go lawn mower racing to put this regret to bed, a mate has a Greenfield with my name on it .