what is the best value digital slr now? what should i get?

John U

MTB Precision
I want it to take action shots of mountain biking but also some landscape photography and other general stuff.

i have been checking out the canon 350D and the konica minolta 5d.

i want to spend arond $1,300 for starters including lenses (i have found a shop in the city that will do this deal for either). i have been using a canon powershot s1 is but want to have a go with an slr.
i have a minolta film slr which is 2 years old and have a couple of attachments for that (mainly a polariser)

is the gear/tecnology good enough/cheap enough to take the plunge now or should i wait a bit longer?

is the canon 350D 3fps quick enough to get good action shots?

is the minolta image stabiliser a gimmick?

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
the 350D is a great little camera. the image stabilizer on the minolta is a bit of a gimmick as you won't really need it unless you are using longer telephoto lenses (upwards of a 300mm lens) and most of the better telephoto lenses will have one built in.

personally, i'd go the canon as they have a great rep in terms of their DSLRs.

parallax

Likes Dirt
Even though they're great value, my biggest quirk with the 350d is that they're way small. It's hard to hold it properly when you're working without a tripod.

But if most of your photos are taken using a tripod, it's a ripper deal.

my $0.02

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
350d is the go. if u wanna save a bit of cash ive seen 300ds for 750. still a top camera. nikon d70 is also a good camera. is the D50 its new version? havent read a review on it, but if its an improvement of the d70 it would b a ripper

vien

Likes Bikes
i recommend the canon 350d. I just bought one last week, i got the black 350d for 1299, cause i run a business i can claim back the gst so that's cool. It ends up being around 1180.

The image quality is awesome. Make sure u get a memory card with a min. of 2gig (and with the fastest write speed u can afford).

Mongo001

Cannon Fodder
Cams

Canon 20d get a package off ebay (new or 2nd hand) after you sus it out well. This is what I did I ended up spending $3500 but you can get a cam body for under $800 and lenses your better off spending alot on cos thats where the quality of flicks comes from.

Even if a 20d doesnt suit just get a canon they are the best man

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
Here's the best deal to start your system off with; IMO anyway. A little over budget ($1548.00 for body, lens and 1-2Gb memory card) but better than spending a bit less $$$ on a lot less as a result.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/canon400d.htm

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_2485_3545/index.htm

Not Canon's best lens but the best Canon option at the budget you're working with and with a zoom range to suit most shooting situations. Factoring in the 400D's 1.6x crop sensor you've got less wide-angle than is ideal (but with more telephoto as compensation) but at least it's a sharp lens and relatively distortion-free compared to other lenses in this price range.

Look also at a 1-2Gb Sandisk Ultra II or Extreme III CF card to top it off and you should be more than happy with this as a starting point.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/memory.htm