What happens with all the batteries?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I brought this up on here ages ago, being from the automotive industry I've seen a mess become of most recycling programs over the years. The bottom line is most times it's not cost effective without govt grants.
Reckon if we want to fix the issue, the cost of recycling and/or disposal should be included in the purchase price (ie. seller/manufacturer etc makes arrangements upfront for recycling at end of life). Less shit sold to begin with based on additional cost and plan in place to deal with it down the track.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Car batteries would still have value. Even if a tesla car battery depleted to say 50% capacity, that is huge and could power a home many times over.

Ebikes. Yeah they are going to landfill mostly. If you thought bikes are getting wasteful now, ebikes is next level. Good luck trying to find an ebike battery that will fit your proprietory bike in a few years time! This is actually what is holding me back buying ebikes, not concern for environment, thats farked already, that I will likely get something that is oprhaned and won't be supported. Same with cars.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
went through testing of about 2500 batteries for Solar car race vehicle earlier this year. For each cell- label, check voltage, charge, cycle them to flat then charge again. hold for 3 months, check and charge again. this to pick the best of them for race car and spare pack ( these cells have now done 3 races in about 8 years).
Lot of work.
offered $1 a cell (18650) by a local mob making home batteries. Reckon that's still more than than most are getting for surplus cells as above ( by the tonne).
There are a few vids on YouTube of peeps rolling their own 'power walls' and most i've watched talk of buying cells as recycle scrap and going through above process.
Gov't closed some avenues/ loopholes in battery importing a while back which effectively meant 'big battery' can dictate the prices and rake in the $$ offered for 'recycling initiatives' (much like the retailer polyethylene scam ) without actually doing the work required.

Last edited:

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the main problem for people trying to reuse old EV batteries like the Nissan leaf now 10-12 years old is they aren't becoming useless as car batteries fast enough. Most are still in cars. Our leaf EV now over 5 years old is just under 90% and losing maybe 1% a year. The leaf is meant to have the worst battery tech, although I suspect most EVs are losing something similar. They will still be good for home storage in 15-20 years time at this rate, then can be recycled in another 10-15 years.