What fork do I have here?

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Hi 'Burners. Scored this fork for free a while back and am finally getting around to using it on a build... but I dunno what model it is. It's a Fox obviously, 32mm stanchions, QR, 130mm travel... well, that's the distance between lowers & bottom of crown anyway.
Has PUSH stickers on it and an RCS (coil spring) sticker

It compresses and rebounds real slow so I figured I'd put some air in it just to see if it improved a bit and put new seals & oil in later. But I can't find any schrader valve under the caps. Must be a coil only fork like a DJer fork?

If so, a clean, new oil & seals might see it right?

I know the square root of fuck all about forks so any info on what model it is or link to service info much appreciated. Cheers.

20160805_100554.jpg

20160805_100613.jpg

20160805_100631.jpg

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Vanilla, with an R or RC depending on the number of turny things hanging off.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably a Vanilla RC 120mm, tuned by Push (or glamorized by someone with Push stickers) and judging by the brake bosses more than a few months old.

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Probably a Vanilla RC 120mm, tuned by Push (or glamorized by someone with Push stickers) and judging by the brake bosses more than a few months old.

Oh for sure it's seen some time & action. Probably worth sprucing up & using by the sounds of it though.

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
As slippy said, they appear to be an old Fox Vanilla Forx, coil/oil sprung so no air adjustment.
Fox Forx - Vanilla.jpg

stewyh

Likes Dirt
turning the red knob counterclockwise should quicken up that rebound should it not?
Turning either knob seems to net very little in the way of anything. Seems very slow and sticky in both directions

there's a code on the triple clamp where the stanchions are pressed in, on 2013 on it's above the stanchion on one fork leg, on 2008 to 12 its under the steering stem.

put that code in on this website, should tell you all you need to know.

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&ref=findbycode
There's no code stamped into the crown or bottom of the steerer. There's a sticker that says 0061607 and number engraved into the steerer tube which is A0006. Neither of which net any results of the fox site or on google.

However, all things being equal it seems I've got a coil/oil sprung 2000-2005 ish Fox Vanilla RC, rebound & preload but no lockout or low speed damping adjust. Fine by me as it's going on a mid 2000s STP for street use.

Should be able to find all service info I need online based on those deets. The slow rebound is a bit of a concern, maybe a clean, new oil & seals will help, hopefully the springs aren't stuffed.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

Warp

Likes Dirt
Turning either knob seems to net very little in the way of anything. Seems very slow and sticky in both directions

There's no code stamped into the crown or bottom of the steerer. There's a sticker that says 0061607 and number engraved into the steerer tube which is A0006. Neither of which net any results of the fox site or on google.

However, all things being equal it seems I've got a coil/oil sprung 2000-2005 ish Fox Vanilla RC, rebound & preload but no lockout or low speed damping adjust. Fine by me as it's going on a mid 2000s STP for street use.

Should be able to find all service info I need online based on those deets. The slow rebound is a bit of a concern, maybe a clean, new oil & seals will help, hopefully the springs aren't stuffed.

For STP use there should be still some Heavy (Purple?) springs laying around.

Basically, what you got is an older 831.

stewyh

Likes Dirt
For STP use there should be still some Heavy (Purple?) springs laying around.

Basically, what you got is an older 831.
Found the 2004 manual online. Apparently I need the yellow spring (125mm travel + 105kg lard ass). Looks like there's still a few to be found online :)
I haven't pulled the old ones out for a look yet, will crack them open over the weekend.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

There's not a lot that can go wrong with coil springs, they're not exactly the most high-tech things, just a good clean & new grease on that side. The rebound could just need a good clean & flush out with new oil, but the lack of adjustment opens the possibility that something between the dial & the damper guts has dislodged or broken so the ports aren't opening & closing properly, so not doing what they should in altering oil flow.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
That thing is a 2005 or older... Those were really great and ahead of almost anything in its day.
bugger! shows how little i know.....

they look in surprisingly good nick for 11 year old MTB forks though, hope they come up ok with a service. should be the goods on a period correct bike.

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Opened up

There's not a lot that can go wrong with coil springs, they're not exactly the most high-tech things, just a good clean & new grease on that side. The rebound could just need a good clean & flush out with new oil, but the lack of adjustment opens the possibility that something between the dial & the damper guts has dislodged or broken so the ports aren't opening & closing properly, so not doing what they should in altering oil flow.
Ok well they look to be in pretty good shape. I found a pretty detailed how to online which is just as well because the damper unit appears to be the culprit. It's spongy & wheezy and squirts oil out the top when rebounding. Hopefully a clean and new oil will sort it, at worst a new o ring here & there. There wasn't much oil in the lowers when I drained it, maybe 30-50ml.

As I'm a fork noob a couple of things are sorta confusing me.

I didn't expect to find a spring in the damper leg, I thought these things had one spring in them. So do I go ahead and buy one (or two) of the "yellow" spring(s) suited to my weight? The existing blue springs are meant for riders 25kgs lighter than me according to the manual. Although if the second one has been added aftermarket things might get even more confusing :dizzy:

20160806_180229.jpg

The spring in the non-damper leg is in 2 parts, one little bit below the... thing. Is this normal?

20160806_180255.jpg

After I pulled the old seals out I expected to find some foam rings under. Instead there are these hard rubber things with a flexible lower bit (the wipers I guess) which won't budge. I even chipped some paint trying to lever the things out. They appear in good nick, no splits or anything. Leave em in or force the buggers out and replace with foam rings?

20160806_180411.jpg

Any advice much appreciated, cheers.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not all forks, especially older ones, have the foam rings; some, including these apparently have secondary wipers. If they're in good nick, leave them, just run a smear of Slick Honey or similar suspension grease under the lip.

The small bit of spring is probably a top-out bumper to stop the fork going *CLUNK!* when it hits full extension.