What do you think about China, Tibet and the Torch Relay?

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
Fucking Chinese.

Quote from the age :"About 50 pro-China demonstrators followed them and tried to cover the Tibetans and their signs with large red Chinese flags."

Says it all really. Selfish self-rightous pricks.

phil p.

Likes Dirt
I went to the city a while ago and watched the torch go by, and from where i was there were alot more chinese supporters than tibet. Every one of them had a giant chinese flag! I think the chinese embassy were giving them out.
One chinese fella was shouting at a tibet-supporting protester about "You don't even know about Tibet!"...abit hypocritical in my view.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Watching sunrise today, a constant battle between the Chinese flame protector and the AFP, was hilarious. The AFP wanted to get the guy to move away because he was impeding the runners and getting in the camera shots, the chinese guy was physically pushing the AFP so he could stay next to the runners.

I saw no protesting and it was an otherwise boring and crap event.

rideabike

Likes Bikes
Went down and watched it today (along Northbourne Av) where it meets Cooyong st and everything went smooth as. No protesters, just a heap of CBD workers and Chinese waving their flag - Politicial issues aside, good on them for being patriotic about it. As if we werent proud when we hosted the games.

Apparently there was an incedent where someone was arrested burning a Chinese flag and where a couple of people jumped out in front of the relay but nothing like that from where I was.

There was a Chinese dude riding on the back of a AFP moto being dinked and on running with the torch as well as about 15 AFP officers.

Last edited:

joeyjoblah

Likes Bikes
This is a pretty interesting read: http://the-riotact.com/?p=7339

"At 9:15am I had to go to work, so handed my flag to a young lady to carry on through the morning. I received a text from her at about 10:30am that a group of China supporters took the Tibet flag from her and threw it in Lake Burley Griffin."

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
There could be a backlash against the Chinese over the conduct of some of the supporters. There are quite a few stories coming out of mobs of Chinese supporters that were bussed down by the embassy acting quite violent against Australian citizens exercising their lawful right to peaceful protest.

That's not a good image for the Chinese right now and it's pretty hard to deny with al the photographic and video evidence.

Gotta say, it is pretty shit that you can be attacked by a mob on the street for just waving a flag or banner, shit should definitely be done about that if it can. Simple matter of sovereignty and upholding the law.

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
I had a read through the comments posted on the Age website by both pro-Chinese and pro-Tibetan readers. The same thing keeps coming up from the pro-Chinese "You don't know our history !!". This is amoung the more sensible reponses and yet it seems to me that most pro-Tibetan advocates know more about Chinese history than them. However, they don't understand the patriotism held by the Chinese. As Aussies patriotism is seen as a "get your hand off it" kind of deal and as such the pro-Chinese rally is seen by me and others as an anti-pro-Tibetan rally more than anything else. It seems they were more interested in the pro-Tibetans than the flag. Another thing that kept coming up was "You don't know about human rights". Funny that these comments are coming from Chinese that are rich enough to study or work overseas.

I don't know what my point is really. Just venting :(

scooter

Likes Bikes
Comments like this "The Olympics should NOT be used as a vehicle for political protest, and that is why Tibetans have clearly shown their inferiority. They should never have attack China through the Olympic symbol." just piss me off. China, and every other country who has hosted the olympics, has used it as a political tool, and they should therefore expect to cop some political flak. Unfortunately some of the pro-China/anti-Tibet crowd took the idea of representing their country far too literally today.

I'd boycott the olympics if I actually had any interest in watching it.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
There could be a backlash against the Chinese over the conduct of some of the supporters. There are quite a few stories coming out of mobs of Chinese supporters that were bussed down by the embassy acting quite violent against Australian citizens exercising their lawful right to peaceful protest.
I wonder how many of them holds:

*An Australian passport;
*A tourist/student visa;
*An uni degree;

They do realised that if they got arrested while on student visa their visa can be revoked and deported right? What they are doing can be consider as "politically-motivated crime". Judging from some of the slogans they were chanting I don't think they are smart enough to know.

That's not a good image for the Chinese right now and it's pretty hard to deny with al the photographic and video evidence.
To be honest I am glad the Chinese embassy did what they did. It shows the world how ignorant and moronic Chinese people can be. The herd mentality is so strong that they can brush away all rational reasoning.

I would even go as far to say that if what we saw in Canberra is representative of the Chinese population than really democracy is not an ideal model to govern China – I am sure the Greeks did not invented it to govern primary school children.

skivi

Likes Dirt
the pro-Chinese rally is seen by me and others as an anti-pro-Tibetan rally more than anything else. It seems they were more interested in the pro-Tibetans than the flame.
mmm i too noticed this, i think it's a good reflection on the Chinese, highlighting the control the government has over it's citizens and how the situation is Tibet has not yet, nor may it ever be, resolved.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
There could be a backlash against the Chinese over the conduct of some of the supporters. There are quite a few stories coming out of mobs of Chinese supporters that were bussed down by the embassy..
It was funny the news reports stress that the chinese supported were mostly bused in but then they quietly mentioned the fact that many of the Tabetans travelled in together from Sydney and melbourne...

As for the violence, it seemed to come for a few idiots on each side.

red death

Likes Bikes
...As for the violence, it seemed to come for a few idiots on each side.
thats what normally happens thecat. I didn't actually see any Tibetan violence reported though - not saying it didn't happen, but can you elaborate on what you saw?

This looks a step in the right direction anyway. Not that it's not all been said before. ;)

And apparently reporters are to be now allowed back into Tibet. Wonder if we'll find out what if anything China has been hiding and why they found it necessary to do whatever behind closed doors. To my mind the closed door presented China in the worst possible light.

None of this has happened because Tibetan supporters simply rolled over lap dog style.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

What are Chinese soldiers doing with clean, folded monk robes ?
Heh heh heh, Looks pretty suspect but unless Buddhist Monks are actually earth-bound Jedi Knights like everyone of otherwise rational thought seems to reckon (and as such can be killed yet leave no trace of a body other than that of a blue-tinged ghostly figure whose identity can be changed at the merest whim of George Lucas -Ahem-Anakin Skywalker in the reworked Return of the Jedi!-Ahem,) I'd hazard a guess that the geezers in the robes are Tibetan conscripts ito the chinese army who're swapping their robes in for the glorious green and red uniform of our new Alien Ant Overlords!