What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Through some generosity from @Dales Cannon and a bargain buy from @Wake Jake - got to try out some 12deg backsweep bars on the gravel bike.
IMG_8061.jpeg

IMG_8063.jpeg

For the TL;DR - I'm still getting the positioning dialled in 100%, but initial impressions are good. Certainly spent a lot more of the ride with my hands around the grips rather than resting on top (to relieve the slight angle my wrists sit at with conventional bars). I think the 12degs are seemingly a good match for this style of gravel/cross country bike where you want the arms/wrists to rest at a more natural angle while covering ground seated and still feel good while cornering, but don't think I'd want them on a trail bike and definitely not on an enduro bike. Hard to describe exactly but I feel like conventional bars would still be preferable where you want to brace yourself against impacts a bit more (IMO).

FWIW - The 25mm jump in stem length from 85mm to 110mm seems to have kept the grips the same distance away (reach?) too. Which is mint as I wanted to retain the same fit and steering response just change up the grip angle some.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Through some generosity from @Dales Cannon and a bargain buy from @Wake Jake - got to try out some 12deg backsweep bars on the gravel bike.
View attachment 405770

View attachment 405771

For the TL;DR - I'm still getting the positioning dialled in 100%, but initial impressions are good. Certainly spent a lot more of the ride with my hands around the grips rather than resting on top (to relieve the slight angle my wrists sit at with conventional bars). I think the 12degs are seemingly a good match for this style of gravel/cross country bike where you want the arms/wrists to rest at a more natural angle while covering ground seated and still feel good while cornering, but don't think I'd want them on a trail bike and definitely not on an enduro bike. Hard to describe exactly but I feel like conventional bars would still be preferable where you want to brace yourself against impacts a bit more (IMO).

FWIW - The 25mm jump in stem length from 85mm to 110mm seems to have kept the grips the same distance away (reach?) too. Which is mint as I wanted to retain the same fit and steering response just change up the grip angle some.
Where is the butt plug? On second thought, don't answer that!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It was a most irregular shape. Lucky I had a big tub of Slick Honey handy is all I can say. :oops:

8/10 for difficulty.
2/10 for comfort.

Definitely glad I ordered the 31.8mm version instead of 35mm, though a 22.2mm one would've been better again. :p
And I used a worn insert to give that ribbed effect.

slowmick

38-39"
Spent the afternoon getting ready for a year ender with the lads tomorrow. New rear tyre, quick service on the dropper post, new ZTTO dropper leaver and a quick check over and clean. Hoping to make it around a full lap without having to pump up the rear tyre. Just need to remember to drop some of the 50 kPa out of it to make the ride a little smoother.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Set out on a big epic Ebike smash with a mate, out on the Wild Mersey Trails and 40km in my derailleur decided to attack my cassette, the cassette won, tearing the derailleur off and throwing it around my wheel and jamming it in my seat stay. Now I have an extra unwanted pivot and a whole new derailleur and seat stay needed.
I did get a Strava KOM, so not a total loss.

Attachments

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Those little oil-free compressors are great, I bought a cheapy vertical standing one to put under the bench for general duties in the shed and you can have a normal conversation with it running, not like my old rattly one that you can hear from the other end of the street.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Got out for my last ride of the year at the Youies.

I swapped the fork out (other fork still had the wheel and axle stuck in) and went 29 up front with a 40mm stem.

It was nice to get back on the coil (Z1) up front, but didn't change my opinion on the mullet.

So for 2024 it'll be back to full 27.5, Z1 up front with a slightly longer stem, which will most likely either be my first purchase of 2024, or last of 2023! Have a good new year Farkers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Took my nephews (7 + 4) for a long ride around the harbour. Ripped some skids, wowed them with my cool "bunny jumps", failed to do a wheelie, and generally had a good time. We also threw some fairly large rocks in the water, fed some fish, and watched some fishermen clean some good sized jew fish.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Rode the new trails at John Forest National Park. I've got to say I was highly impressed with them! Lots of nice views and scenary plus some fast and simple flow trails. Conditions were dusty AF though, can confirm my brand new DHF Super Tacky 1000000000000% saved me from a tree

The Surge with a 130mm fork is low in the front, had a 170mm fork previously and will need some riser bars.

In other news, my Marzocchi 55Ti Evo 170mm 26" forks have been rebuilt with new Enduro Seals and I'll be selling them.

Attachments

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I stripped down an $18.5k road bike that a customer's wife decided to drive into the garage door. Took a while, with all the internally routed BS cabling, but nice to get the frame in my hands and see that yes... $6k worth of carbon frame is worth about as much as a chocolate teapot.

View attachment 405790
$18.5k road bike!
You could buy an Ebike for that! :p