What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
So there are some pretty cool pump tracks popping up all over the place, so thought I'd bring the old P3 back to life, and try not to die. Cranks turned up today which was the final piece of the puzzle... First thoughts are Holy crap this thing is small...how the fk did we use to ride these things, and more so, pedal our arses off into jumps... Glad it's the "long" frame.
It's more or less another parts bin special, the frame, from 2004, was originally my bros but had been abandoned and I found it in my folks shed a while back...some custom lowered fox32's which are equally as scary as the size of the bike, some super sketchy DT 420sl wheels and some random parts from the shed. Keen observers will note lack of any chain tensioners, this is partially due to the derailleur style tensioner not fitting the frame, the derailleur bolt thread being stripped, and also the fact that the back wheel does not come out without taking the rear brake caliper off. I guess the old Hayes 9s of yesteryear had more clearance than this trashy avid. So i figured a perfectly sized chain is the least of my worries.

403417618_368074688928913_5654730542452213476_n.jpg
403410687_373533271905681_7709185560012572176_n.jpg403618080_312547648345934_7923960139580329436_n.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The brake levers arrived today for the little roadie. So I tested it. Moonshot gearing makes it a tough ride until you get to speed. 52/42 - 13/20 gearing is hard work. I have a 42/32/22 8 speed mountain crankset that is also square taper so maybe that is an option and just run the two bigger rings. 10 tooth difference will still work with the existing rd. If the road fd doesn't play nice I have several bottom pull mountain fds.

Hmmmmmmm. Is it worth the hassle? Maybe... it is really hard to judge because the frame is sooooo small compared to my preferred stretched out mtb bike geo. I don't think speed is a big deal on this and it is really to see if #3 wants a roadie. If she does she can buy a decent used one or alternatively go the gravel bike option. #2 is taking over the Bronson so no way will this keep up with the climbs even on fire and rail trails...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yesterday - fitted a new rear shock to the scout. It looks fucking cool!!! No time for a photo yet nor a test ride. Stay tuned for all that in a soon to be published pyr.

Today - new bike day! That's right folks, I am on a train en route to my new bike!!! I am mildly excited. I am also totally rooted, had about 4 hours of sleep and am 1 hour later than I originally intended to be. I'd sleep but Santa is pretty much thumping around on my rooftop!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So I put the 42/32 mtb crankset on. Q factor is off the wazoo but it works. Rideable but still tall gearing. The crankset is such a high end item I needed a drill and grinder to remove the 22t grandmother. Going to put a 14-28 rear cassette on and then a mtb fd as the existing one has no chance of throwing far enough. Hopefully it will clear the rear tyre wich is intimately close to the seat tube. Then it be done.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Rained a lot last night and supposed to be a storm this afternoon. The morning was fahn hot but I took Justin for a fitness blat because I get carried away at the chance for any ride.

One other gentleman on a roadie yelled out 'We are mad' as it is about 36 now. He was spot on.

Saw a baby blue tongue getting pestered by mynahs. They scooted when I came along but he still wanted to have a go at me. Squirted him some refreshing water and called it even.
20231214_115802.jpg