What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
On the drive to Lysty, I was stuck behind an old truck with a stock crate on… next thing ya know, the rear gate of the stockcrate slides fully open… some full sized steers looking out at me… farrcck. I pulled him over at the Wellington Road roundabout… he was thankful… could have been a real mess.

Anyway did a quick up to the dog pound and back on Buckle at Lysty... windy as, rubbish down everywhere. Cleared the track of half a dozen small movable branches… but not this one.
You're brave going in there today.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
You're brave going in there today.
Stupid is more like it...

Na, I was just super hanging for a ride, have been in bed all week with the cold/flu/lurgy... and I just needed to get out. The wind wasn't so bad on most of Buckle, but it got pretty howling up the top near dog pound.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Planned for a long weekend of camping and riding up at Melrose, but not everything went as planned.

So, upon arriving and unpacking after the 3 hr drive I discovered that a few things had been left behind... Like my chair, and the GoPro charging cable. Not all bad though, I had an awesome secluded camping location away from everyone else.

IMG_5003.jpg

So, camp was setup; time to hit the trails... Well lets just say that perhaps the first trail I hit did not survive the recent rains so well and it was rough, with lots of large exposed rocks. No biggie, just a bit more steering practice. But man everything felt a bit weird, I put it down to new stem/handlebar combo. Stopped to double check alignment; through axle was loose... F-wit.

Headed to the other side of the park; to the more "flowy" trails... a little water was in the way though.
IMG_5005.jpg

Man was that a shit load of fun over that side, despite the water crossings... until:

I pumped on a crest for some mad airtime... Only the trail didn't keep going straight
vlcsnap-error429.jpg

F*ck Fu*k Fuc*
vlcsnap-error149.jpg

A nice side on pic of what was in that grass:
vlcsnap-error957.jpg

Status report: no real functioning front brakes at this point but my wheel didnt exactly turn freely on its own either, due to a massively bent rotor. Five minutes with the leatherman and a tonne of cursing later I had a spinning wheel and sort of working brakes. #winning

Limped it back to camp, but being after 5pm the local bike shop was closed, so getting a new rotor would have to wait until Saturday 0900.

Got the fire cranking, stoked to get some dinner cooking and BAM. A group of around 20 *insert extremely loud minority group* rock up and setup camp right next to me, basically just shouting at each other the entire time. There go's my quiet weekend away. FFS.

So its about 2200, I'm ready to pack it in for the night and basically their kids are just screaming at each other, no early night for me, 2300 still just screaming and shouting. They finally cark it at about 2430, and I finally got some sleep.

Day 2:
Get up early to cook breakfast so I'm ready to go at 0900 and get a new rotor then head straight out from there. Finally, things are looking up, new rotor fitted by 0910 and I was off to the trails. Smashed the 5km commute and on the first part of the climb started feeling a bit queasy, stopped, puked, felt even worse. Headed back to town. Crashed back to bed and slept for 3 hours.

Around 3pm I decided to head out again, got back to the trail head, started the climb and ran into this guy:
IMG_5009.jpg

And everything started looking like a fucking snake... oh wait that is a snake! so after 2 snakes in about 300m of trail I bailed.

Rode back to camp, got the fire going and cooked up an early dinner. By this time the noisy neighbors had all arrived back as well, and I had discovered a broken spoke on the rear wheel.

<RageQuit>
I decided at this point that it wasn't worth it, packed up camp, left at 1850 and drove all the way back to Adelaide.
Final casualty count:
1x front rotor
1x rear spoke
1x pair of shoes and socks (melted them trying to dry them by the fire)

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Planned for a long weekend of camping and riding up at Melrose, but not everything went as planned.

So, upon arriving and unpacking after the 3 hr drive I discovered that a few things had been left behind... Like my chair, and the GoPro charging cable. Not all bad though, I had an awesome secluded camping location away from everyone else.

View attachment 332702

So, camp was setup; time to hit the trails... Well lets just say that perhaps the first trail I hit did not survive the recent rains so well and it was rough, with lots of large exposed rocks. No biggie, just a bit more steering practice. But man everything felt a bit weird, I put it down to new stem/handlebar combo. Stopped to double check alignment; through axle was loose... F-wit.

Headed to the other side of the park; to the more "flowy" trails... a little water was in the way though.
View attachment 332703

Man was that a shit load of fun over that side, despite the water crossings... until:

I pumped on a crest for some mad airtime... Only the trail didn't keep going straight
View attachment 332704

F*ck Fu*k Fuc*
View attachment 332705

A nice side on pic of what was in that grass:
View attachment 332706

Status report: no real functioning front brakes at this point but my wheel didnt exactly turn freely on its own either, due to a massively bent rotor. Five minutes with the leatherman and a tonne of cursing later I had a spinning wheel and sort of working brakes. #winning

Limped it back to camp, but being after 5pm the local bike shop was closed, so getting a new rotor would have to wait until Saturday 0900.

Got the fire cranking, stoked to get some dinner cooking and BAM. A group of around 20 *insert extremely loud minority group* rock up and setup camp right next to me, basically just shouting at each other the entire time. There go's my quiet weekend away. FFS.

So its about 2200, I'm ready to pack it in for the night and basically their kids are just screaming at each other, no early night for me, 2300 still just screaming and shouting. They finally cark it at about 2430, and I finally got some sleep.

Day 2:
Get up early to cook breakfast so I'm ready to go at 0900 and get a new rotor then head straight out from there. Finally, things are looking up, new rotor fitted by 0910 and I was off to the trails. Smashed the 5km commute and on the first part of the climb started feeling a bit queasy, stopped, puked, felt even worse. Headed back to town. Crashed back to bed and slept for 3 hours.

Around 3pm I decided to head out again, got back to the trail head, started the climb and ran into this guy:
View attachment 332707

And everything started looking like a fucking snake... oh wait that is a snake! so after 2 snakes in about 300m of trail I bailed.

Rode back to camp, got the fire going and cooked up an early dinner. By this time the noisy neighbors had all arrived back as well, and I had discovered a broken spoke on the rear wheel.

<RageQuit>
I decided at this point that it wasn't worth it, packed up camp, left at 1850 and drove all the way back to Adelaide.
Final casualty count:
1x front rotor
1x rear spoke
1x pair of shoes and socks (melted them trying to dry them by the fire)
Snakes already........ Bugger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took a massively overdue first run at Redhill today. Navigation / Trail guide courtesy of a couple of friends. Damn it was good fun. Lysterfield is my local but Redhill made it feel like a bikepath to me.

Rode the 29FS at Lysterfield yesterday and confirmed to myself that 120mm Revelations are not suited to me / it. 140mm Fox 34 / Pike it is then.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Finally got around to lengthening some xfusion sweeps I picked up in that famous crc sale.

Super easy job, one youtube video and 15 minutes swingin off tools we have some 160mm sweeps! Through em on my old mans bike and went out for a cheeky sunday arvo trailride. Fun times.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Put it in the car, took it out to the Youies, saw how ridiculous the wind was getting, went straight back home again.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Went from 2.25 EXO TR Ardents at ~850g each down to Thunder Burts for the 205km Flinders Ranges Outback Epic, dropped around 600g of rotating weight.

A bit grip deficient but they are reasonable, definitely a good choice for the FROE.

Bloody fast tyres !

Attachments

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That weight is quite stupid. For reference that full suspension bike is less than a kilo heavier than my single speed. Which I rode this arvo. And took a photo of. Which is below.

20161008_144513.jpg

Fitness has been ramping up surprisingly so I'll drop the 32/21 it is currently for something less pathetic soon.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nice SS !

Yes its lighter than my hardtail too, by quite a bit, even when it was fully rigid.

I never actually stuck the frame on the scales when I had it stripped down, but it must be ridiculous.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
A nice wash, a clean and some new Ergon GE1 grips.
Took the mind off having to put our dog down this morning.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Sorry to hear about the dog. Never a good day when shit like that happens. How you liking the grips?

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Thanks mate. I like the grips, only had one ride so far but they felt good. Completely different to the ESI chunkys I had on but they are nicely sculpted to the had and put your wrists in a natural position on wide bars.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I gave them a try coming off esi and found them a bit hard on the hands. Wasn't sure if should have given them bit longer as really liked the shape.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I recently ordered a new pack to replace the Fox pack that's starting to fall apart after 4ish + years. I ordered an Osprey Zealot 15 pack - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/osprey-zealot-15-backpack/rp-prod132323

I also ordered a new multi tool and a tube to throw in as well.

Onto the actual bike itself, I picked up the hardtails rear wheel from De Grandi in Geelong. I put it in after one of the spokes just fell out on my last ride on Sunday morning. The wheel picked up a decent wobble on the limp back to the car too. A few of the other spokes were pretty loose as well.

They replaced the spoke and trued the wheel and pointed out a few points of the rim that I've compacted slightly. I didn't think i was giving the wheel such a hard time, that's for sure! All the repairs were done for free too!

Time to get the 2.25 off and the 2.4 on. The wheel it's still holding air fine at the moment tubeless. Is there likely to be an issue with a new tyre?

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Spent around 45 minutes practicing balance skills around the street and my driveway.

Pulled off a one perfect endo to backpedal to forward pedal, and many many backwards pedal to over balance.

And one perfect 45 deg endo to pedal slip to shin strike. Dat burn