What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am a certified expert at this.

Not the most graceful trick you'll ever see though...

I have on very rare (even rarer than that) occasion managed to do this deliberately but have never had the patience to make it something I am consistent with. In my brain there is a huge struggle in lifting the foot/feet.

And once they are off...you have to get them back on!

slowmick

38-39"
I finished loading the car at 6am this morning. Booked myself a ticket for the 8am shuttle to the top of Lake Mountain today. I was supposed to be away this week with my family and my wife's family in Tawonga (near Mt Beauty) this week and I had plans for heading to Mt Beauty, Falls Creek and Bright while we were there. Then a huge storm came and destroyed the caravan park. I wanted at least one big ride before heading back to work.

I did a solo run of the cascades trail as I knew it was going to beat me up. My first attempt was 4 years ago when I was a lot fitter and 25kg lighter and I still found it tough going. Really enjoyed some sections and was properly punished by others. Now i just need to the Jabubu's thread about eating less and actually make an effort this year. Need to find a new crutch.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I did a solo run of the cascades trail as I knew it was going to beat me up. My first attempt was 4 years ago when I was a lot fitter and 25kg lighter and I still found it tough going. Really enjoyed some sections and was properly punished by others.
Hey slowmick... is it that hard? Is there lots of tough ups amongst the downs?

A few years ago, Sue and I started at the bottom, just out of Marysville, and we rode up for about one and a half hours, till we were buggered. Then we bombed down. It was awesome.

I didn't have a Garmin at that stage, so no idea how far up we got.

Marysville.JPG

slowmick

38-39"
@Lazmo - given the amount you actually ride I think you would be fine. There are no "huge" climbs but there is a lot of undulation even on the flat bits so it feels like you are either flying downhill or doing some level of climbing. There are a lots of rock at the top which make the descending "physical". There are plenty of videos of the trails. I watched the flow mtb one last night which showed me how far I have to get back on track.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This might be better titled "what did you do to your bike today".
Last Thursday Yvonne and I were up at Lake Meadowbank where we have a caravan and do a bit of riding. We set out for the Telstra Tower. About a 31 km round trip with about 900 meters of climbing. All on gravel but some quite steep bits. When we were nearly to the top, I went over some debris in the road and the chain popped of the chain ring. I could see a couple of twigs so I removed them, rode to the top to admire the view down the valley over Maydena and to Mt Anne. When we started down, the chain was flopping around, even a bit of chain suck. So I stopped at the bottom of the first hill thinking I needed to flip the clutch switch back up. But, fark me! The switch was gone!
I knew there is adjustment thingy on the clutch but couldn't get it right. So I pedaled lightly, coasted when I could and walked when I had to.
However, I was still getting chain suck so I thought maybe a hub problem? When I pedaled the chain jumped after making a God awful crunching sound. Anyway, made it back to the lake, had a swim and proceeded to not think about it.
So yesterday I though I should ride it around the drive before we headed off. Skipping and crunching worse but only when stressed. Pulled cassette and free hub off to find a few teeth missing and lots of tiny metal chunks.
Ratchets are rat shit.
IMG_20240115_5791.jpg

Derailleur for the spares, I guess.
IMG_20240115_31174.jpg

Never done this before

TL;DR
Went for ride,picked up stick in derailleur, destroyed derailleur and ratchets. All fixed now. Rode on other wheels today with Onyx rear hub. Loved the silence. Waiting for the other to arrive.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Rode on other wheels today with Onyx rear hub. Loved the silence. Waiting for the other to arrive.
Serviced the Ibis rear hub a few weeks back, it's wasn't loud anyway so I put a decent amount of DT grease in there. It's frigging silent now and I really like it.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
On the family holiday at the moment and took the opportunity to head our to the Narooma trails since they're only about an hour away.

Booked the shuttles for the gravity zone and did a few laps of the play area before the shuttles kicked off.

Really great place to ride, not a heap of elevation, but excellent bang for buck climbing in the play area.

The "downhill" trails aren't in the gravity section funnily enough, and the gravity area was pretty well groomed for most of the trails.

Had a bit of an oopsie with the brake adaptor on the front when one of the bolts decided to eject itself on one if the runs, so off with the front brake and finished the day.

Really fun place to ride and a bit of everything for everyone.

IMG_20240115_114333_copy_1455x1941.jpgIMG_20240115_122134_copy_1242x1656.jpgIMG_20240115_122145_copy_1633x1226.jpgIMG_20240115_191941_copy_1631x2174.jpgIMG_20240115_164418_copy_2075x1556.jpg

Last edited:

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Serviced the Ibis rear hub a few weeks back, it's wasn't loud anyway so I put a decent amount of DT grease in there. It's frigging silent now and I really like it.
I've ridden DT Swiss hubs for over 10 years and they're great. Easy to service and reliable. But the silence of the Onyx is nice. They too, are easy to service. I figure the crunched ratchet are a one off; down to operator error.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Hrmm, i should do that to the Bontrager 108 hub so i don't keep sounding like there's a margarine lid pegged to the seat stay...
Slickoleum or?

ozzybmx

Hrmm, i should do that to the Bontrager 108 hub so i don't keep sounding like there's a margarine lid pegged to the seat stay...
Slickoleum or?
Might work. I have used Finish Line wet lube in every hub for many years. The bullshit with Chris King's 'magical' grease in the $50 'lip balm' tub put me off years ago. The hub service kit was $$$ but a pin punch to knock the bearings out did the same job.

You could use anything in there as long as you keep on top of the servicing and recognise when the freehub pawls are making a noise or something may be going wrong with the freehub. Tune hubs used to make a creak under power, they had minimal sealing as they were weight weenie'ing but the creak meant there was dirt in there.

I only used the DT grease this time as I had a tub that came with a set of 54t Ratchets. The eeb takes a bit of abuse on the drivetrain so I though I'd give it something extra to keep it lubed under power.

Just make sure what every you use is light. I had a hub serviced many many years ago and they put so much grease in there, the pawls were skipping as they were floating on a bed of thick grease, one was even stuck down on the freehub body. Another lesson that sent me on my crusade to do everything myself.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I only used the DT grease this time as I had a tub that came with a set of 54t Ratchets. The eeb takes a bit of abuse on the drivetrain so I though I'd give it something extra to keep it lubed under power.
Our good friends at Ali have DT knock off grease which I haven't bought yet. I shelled out for the real DT grease but till give this a go one day.
How magical could be real deal greae 'really' be?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003526133502.html

Slickoleum also seems to work well but don't cake it on. I also give it squirt of Triflow before I reinstall the hub. Then I just have to remeber how quiet it sound after a service. Once you notice more noise then it is time lube it again.

I do appreciate how easy it is to remove the freehub and ratchet from the DT hubs. The Easton, Campag and Hadleys axle and freehub removal is pretty similar but have a pawled freehub instead. I don't bother remove the cassette from the freehub any more, there is no need. Just undo any locknuts and persuade the axles out gently with a mallet then the cassette plus freehub won't be far behind.

ozzybmx

I do appreciate how easy it is to remove the freehub and ratchet from the DT hubs. The Easton, Campag and Hadleys axle and freehub removal is pretty similar but have a pawled freehub instead. I don't bother remove the cassette from the freehub any more, there is no need. Just undo any locknuts and persuade the axles out gently with a mallet then the cassette plus freehub won't be far behind.
I thought my days of gouged freehubs were over, still scarred from the alu Hope gouged splines.

Fitted the Linkglide 11spd, had to buy a HG freehub, of course its alu and being gouged out by the steel Linkglide cassette.

I purposely removed it when I did the hub service a week or so ago and had to give the freehub a file, just like the old Hope days.