What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Went for a bit of a ride around the Kurrajong side of the Youies last night as a nice way to finish off the weekend.... man it must have been smashed a few times by storms lately, it's a little the worse for wear. Fairly large, deep patches of sand just eat momentum if you're lucky, send you off into a tree if you're not.
Some tracks closed for maintenance which is cool... anyone know if there's a working bee there any time soon? I wouldn't mind spending a bit of time to help clean up the place.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Went for a bit of a ride around the Kurrajong side of the Youies last night as a nice way to finish off the weekend.... man it must have been smashed a few times by storms lately, it's a little the worse for wear. Fairly large, deep patches of sand just eat momentum if you're lucky, send you off into a tree if you're not.
Some tracks closed for maintenance which is cool... anyone know if there's a working bee there any time soon? I wouldn't mind spending a bit of time to help clean up the place.
Even the top of Junction was pretty hammered mid last week. Normally the sand settles in all the low spots - but there must've been water running across the ground even up the top of the hill this time, as it'd piled up sand on the high side of several corners (ie: just on the entry or exit) of the corners. I've ridden Youies a lot over the last few years, and have never seen that before.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Joined the dark side properly and rode the roadie to work today.

6.6km this morning didn’t leave a good impression. Reinforced every negative thought I’d ever had about road bikes. Would have much rather been on a mtb.

Did the 27km route on the way home. Legs felt heavy but ended up with an average time 5.1kmh faster than my previous best (on mtb with slicks). Not sure if it was the bike making me faster or the fear of being passed by another roadie or, even worse, one of those weird mtbers.

PB’d 49 of 52 segments. Pissed I just missed the clean sweep. Also did one of my best jumps in a while hitting a decent bump at speed and inadvertently getting both wheels in the air.

Wasn’t sure what the protocol is when roadies nod at you so I tipped my helmet at them like a gentleman.

Can’t wait to cleanse my soul on the trails Thursday night.

mark22

Likes Dirt
No worse than Hopes. To be honest I could live with 12sp Shimano hubs if I didn't have to take the free hub off to grease it every month....
Just got a bike with Shimano microspline hub, what's the go with greasing it every month? Just the freehub or the whole thing?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just got a bike with Shimano microspline hub, what's the go with greasing it every month? Just the freehub or the whole thing?
I greased where the Freehub face meets the hub. That seemed to be the squeaky/ creaky point for me.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Joined the dark side properly and rode the roadie to work today.

View attachment 385972

6.6km this morning didn’t leave a good impression. Reinforced every negative thought I’d ever had about road bikes. Would have much rather been on a mtb.

Did the 27km route on the way home. Legs felt heavy but ended up with an average time 5.1kmh faster than my previous best (on mtb with slicks). Not sure if it was the bike making me faster or the fear of being passed by another roadie or, even worse, one of those weird mtbers.

PB’d 49 of 52 segments. Pissed I just missed the clean sweep. Also did one of my best jumps in a while hitting a decent bump at speed and inadvertently getting both wheels in the air.

Wasn’t sure what the protocol is when roadies nod at you so I tipped my helmet at them like a gentleman.

View attachment 385977

Can’t wait to cleanse my soul on the trails Thursday night.
To be fair, you shouldn't judge roadies based on that bike... Try again on a decent road bike ;)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
To be fair, you shouldn't judge roadies based on that bike... Try again on a decent road bike ;)
Nah, that's not the problem, that bike is a classic. Confirmation bias is the problem-
Reinforced every negative thought I’d ever had about road bikes.
Clearly it makes for a faster commute @ashes_mtb ... You say it didn't leave a good impression - other than offending your self-conscious inner @moorey by being on a roadie in the first place, what didn't you like? Definitely can take a bit to get used to the different position and feel.

moorey

call me Mia
Nah, that's not the problem, that bike is a classic. Confirmation bias is the problem-
Clearly it makes for a faster commute @ashes_mtb ... You say it didn't leave a good impression - other than offending your self-conscious inner @moorey by being on a roadie in the first place, what didn't you like? Definitely can take a bit to get used to the different position and feel.
It's the arse pounding of no suspension and small tyres. Want pics?

crash3

Likes Dirt
New dropper post I got on warranty arrived late last week. Very busy last week and over the weekend (family stuff, bucks party, prepping motorbike for bucks party) so installed it last night.

Works fine, took a couple of cranks around the backyard and put her back to bed. Hopefully get back out on the trails this week.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
The 6.6km route is a mix of road and paths (plus trail option). Plenty of jumping up and down kerbs and playing around etc that I’m not prepared to try on old neglected 13mm wheels and is more fun on a mtb anyway, plus there was glass and debris everywhere that I don’t give a second thought to normally. Couple of spots where the better visibility from being upright on the mtb is better also. The road sections are so short that it wasn’t really any faster on the roadie.

Long ride home was different. Pretty much uninterrupted PSP in good condition, so pretty much perfect for a roadie, although I’d be just as happy on the mtb as 10min difference in the riding time doesn’t worry me.

I’ll use the roadie a bit in the next few weeks to get used to it, but after that the only appeal I can see for it is jumping on a road ride group when I don’t have time to get up to the trails. If I’m out on my own, I’d rather the slower mtb and have the option of having some fun where the opportunity arises.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The 6.6km route is a mix of road and paths (plus trail option). Plenty of jumping up and down kerbs and playing around etc that I’m not prepared to try on old neglected 13mm wheels and is more fun on a mtb anyway, plus there was glass and debris everywhere that I don’t give a second thought to normally. Couple of spots where the better visibility from being upright on the mtb is better also. The road sections are so short that it wasn’t really any faster on the roadie.

Long ride home was different. Pretty much uninterrupted PSP in good condition, so pretty much perfect for a roadie, although I’d be just as happy on the mtb as 10min difference in the riding time doesn’t worry me.

I’ll use the roadie a bit in the next few weeks to get used to it, but after that the only appeal I can see for it is jumping on a road ride group when I don’t have time to get up to the trails. If I’m out on my own, I’d rather the slower mtb and have the option of having some fun where the opportunity arises.
Ah sorry, didn't properly read the 6.6 / 27km distinction initially. All makes sense. I enjoy the road bike but "when I don't have time to get to the trails" is still probably my driving motivation too - if I lived in the Dandenongs I'm sure my current 80/20 road/mtb volume would be reversed. Still, riding a road bike is better than riding no bike :)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

I'm guessing youre quite tall looking at the setup on that thing? But that bar and stem combo is doing terrible things to my OCD, its all kinds of wrong... I cant see that roadie handling particularly well - maybe you just need a bigger frame?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I'm guessing youre quite tall looking at the setup on that thing? But that bar and stem combo is doing terrible things to my OCD, its all kinds of wrong... I cant see that roadie handling particularly well - maybe you just need a bigger frame?
I’m 194cm and the bikes a 60cm with 58.5cm top tube and 120mm /17deg stem (stock stem).

I have zero idea about setting up drop bars. I deliberately ran them high to help with the transition.

They were rolled forward more on the way to work and it was rubbish. On the hoods it felt like all the weight was on that part of the hand between thumb and forefinger and got painful pretty quickly. Rolled them back to get a more comfy position for the ride home. To be honest, none of my concerns were to do with handling, the bike felt fine.

Happy to hear what’s triggering your OCD so I can perpetuate it.