What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

moorey

call me Mia
Haha

I saw he had a Race Face Aeffect crank and wondered if it's normal to have a gap between the left crank arm and the bb shell. My son's Shimano 5100 doesn't but my Aeffect R does. Everything appears to be seated correctly. It just bugs me that I don't know if it's supposed to be like that or not!
Is one shell 68mm and the other 73, and you haven’t used correct spacers?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Is one shell 68mm and the other 73, and you haven’t used correct spacers?
No both of our shells are 73mm. I think I'll pull it apart again and pay attention to the non-drive arm (which has the spindle attached). There could well be a spacer there but I wasn't paying attention and it just bugs me not knowing! There's certainly no play at all so I can only assume it's fine.

The carbon Next R cranks have a collar type spacer which fits the gap nicely but sod all photos or videos exist of the Aeffect cranks on the non-drive side for me to compare.

moorey

call me Mia
The spindle also matters here doesn't it? Might be different "Q" factor so would require another spacer?
Don’t think it’s Q. I’ve fitted for people, not used, but thought the crank had to be preloaded up flush with the BB. Not an expert with these though.

Minlak

custom titis
Don’t think it’s Q. I’ve fitted for people, not used, but thought the crank had to be preloaded up flush with the BB. Not an expert with these though.
Probably missing the spacer that costs like $45 and can only be bought from WorldWide Cyclery - Its easy to misplace and forget

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Gap like this?

That's my aeffect crankset. Relatively new.
I have one spacer on drive side shell. 73mm bb.

dirtdad

The inner flange of the crank looks flush against the BB though isn’t it?
Yeah. Just looks like it steps down from that outside edge to an inner one. When the crank spins, it turns the outer seal on the bb.

You can see the lip on this diagram I stole from MTBR.

HamboCairns

I think I'll pull it apart and give it a harder knock into the shell. Wouldn't the cinch system pull the left side in as far as it will go?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Does it flop around? No? Don't fuck with it. Those adjustable collars are the worst solution eever to a problem that exists because of poor engineering.

dirtdad

Wouldn't the cinch system pull the left side in as far as it will go?
I'll be honest. I had mine apart 4 or 5 times when installing it. Second guessing the number of shell spacers on drive side. Even though instructions said 73mm she'll needs one on DS and zero on NDS. It just kept looking a bit wrong. In the end I just followed instructions and then left it.

The cinch is how your chainring installs.
The "system" you talk of is just the 61 full grown Issac Newtons you need to install that bolt. I had to add an extension to my 8mm hex, and I still don't know I got there. Then you look at the thing and think 'fuck - maybe it's not close enough to the bb shell...'.
So I agree with Dales. If it doesn't push from side to side like MattyP suggests. And it spins ok... Leave gud enuf alone.

HamboCairns

I'll be honest. I had mine apart 4 or 5 times when installing it. Second guessing the number of shell spacers on drive side. Even though instructions said 73mm she'll needs one on DS and zero on NDS. It just kept looking a bit wrong. In the end I just followed instructions and then left it.

The cinch is how your chainring installs.
The "system" you talk of is just the 61 full grown Issac Newtons you need to install that bolt. I had to add an extension to my 8mm hex, and I still don't know I got there. Then you look at the thing and think 'fuck - maybe it's not close enough to the bb shell...'.
So I agree with Dales. If it doesn't push from side to side like MattyP suggests. And it spins ok... Leave gud enuf alone.
Yup doesn't pull, doesn't play, spins nicely.

The creak appears to be coming from the frame itself or maybe the cables rubbing very minutely against the frame.

HamboCairns

I don't see a gap? Looks like the stepped down diameter spacer (or whatever it is) presses against the inner race of the bearing?
Well that's ok then! I just happened to see my son's left crank arm and that looks almost flush with the bottom bracket similar to this -