What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Rekon aren't a particularly tough tyre, would something like an Aggressor (maybe in a DD casing) be a better replacement? (I'm assuming it was on the rear...)

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Yeah it was on the rear, I'd dropped the pressure minutes before to reduce a bit of bounce in the rear. I really need an insert!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Normally if you've ripped a tyre open an insert wouldn't do much to prevent it. Snake-bite pinch flat, - yep an insert would be good, but slashed/ripped a tyre open - a thicker casing will be more benefit. Remember thicker casings will also offer better support (less squirm under loaded cornering, less bottoming out on landings or clattering over rocks) at slightly lower pressures (the less bounce you were looking for) compared to lighter casing tyres while greatly reducing the risk of a slash/rip. Inserts are more of a pinch-flat prevention/ride feel tuning thing IMO... Just my 2c.

HamboCairns

Normally if you've ripped a tyre open an insert wouldn't do much to prevent it. Snake-bite pinch flat, - yep an insert would be good, but slashed/ripped a tyre open - a thicker casing will be more benefit. Remember thicker casings will also offer better support (less squirm under loaded cornering, less bottoming out on landings or clattering over rocks) at slightly lower pressures (the less bounce you were looking for) compared to lighter casing tyres while greatly reducing the risk of a slash/rip. Inserts are more of a pinch-flat prevention/ride feel tuning thing IMO... Just my 2c.
I'll take a pic and you can tell me if you think this is a pinch flat or a rip.
Heavier Tyre casing - you said you were a big unit ?
103kg and this is the first time this has happened! But I was gunning it and I did hit some square edged rocks pretty hard.

HamboCairns

It's not a completely gone through but it's enough to not keep air in. Fucked or repairable?

I'll stick a tube in for now so I can keep riding but I'll avoid rockier sections at speed!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Went for an explore. Found some trails along the werribee river that definately had mtb in mind. Rock gardens, chutes, some fast winding xc stuff. Overall pretty decent given the 5km restrictions.

Attachments

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Went for an explore. Found some trails along the werribee river that definately had mtb in mind. Rock gardens, chutes, some fast winding xc stuff. Overall pretty decent given the 5km restrictions.
Good to see those tracks are still there.

I rode those about 10-11 years ago.

Nothing amazing, but good to have on your door step.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Good to see those tracks are still there.

I rode those about 10-11 years ago.

Nothing amazing, but good to have on your door step.
Yep. I had planned a trip to wombat state Forrest before the lockdown was announced on Friday. So ite no replacment but not bad to have within the 5km zone