What are you reading?

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
American Psycho by Bret Easton-Ellis,
also about to start Less than zero by the same author.
Recently read,
Cell by Stephen King (crap, dont bother).
Papillion by Henry Charriere (Superb book).
Its not about the bike by Lance Armstrong (who hasnt read it?).
Fight club by Chuck Palahniuk (loved both book and the movie).
Tactics of the crescent moon by H. John Poole (know your enemy).

scblack

Leucocholic
ThePig said:
American Psycho by Bret Easton-Ellis,
also about to start Less than zero by the same author.
Good books, but steer clear of his recent books - just crap name dropping without plots. Glamorama is just total and utter shite.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
scblack said:
Good books, but steer clear of his recent books - just crap name dropping without plots. Glamorama is just total and utter shite.

Yup heard that about him. I must say American Psycho is pretty close to being my favourite book. Some of patrick Batemans inner monologue is bloody hard core.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Diary - Chuck Palahniuk. Superb as usual from Palahniuk (the writer of Fight Club). Not a particularly happy novel but fine writing.

Iduru - William Gibson. Just started this. Gibson, along with Iain M. Banks, is one of the best SF writers around. Has more imagination and is a far better writer than nearly any other SF or non-SF author. His recent "Pattern Recognition" is awesome.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm bored and thought I'd get out the shovel...

This trip I've gone through,

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis: Chillis frontman's tales of extreme drug abuse and rampant rooting. Would be a cracking read but for the new age hippy crap he's prone to spouting. Still good though

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis: This is a wierd one alright. Ellis is back on form with the semi-autobiographical novel set in the last few years. Can't really say too much as it'll spoil it.

As used on the famous Nelson Mandela (underground adventures in the arms trade) by Mark Thomas: Great book by British comedian/activist Mark Thomas (he was pulling pranks on politicians when the chaser lads were still at primary school.) He basically catalogues the international arms trade, the companies involved, the nations involved and intersperses them with tales of pranks and reports he's done for dispatches and his own comedy show. Excellent book, especially the bit where he get's an indonesian general to do some tai chi as part of a marketing seminar.

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Dying to read that, can I borrow when you're done?
I've already finished it and have a number of other titles by Dr Karl if you wish. They are at your disposal. :)

Presently I am reading Heavier than Heaven, the biography of Kurt Cobain. This is very interesting and also very sad. Amazing what impact we parents have on our children. You know it but to see what impact the negatives have is terrible. They shaped this guys life, didn't help that on his grandfathers side 3 great uncles committed suicide!!! :)

I also have just finished the biography of Madeleine Albright, fascinating woman and amazing info on what went on in the Clinton years. Both in Washington and internationally.

Waiting to be read Elizabeth George's - What happened before he shot her. I love english murder mysteries. No blood and gore just mental games.

Plus re-reading Inside the Third Reich.

Last edited:

|Matt|

Banned
Well, 'Where the Wild Things are' is always good, but I just finished reading George Orwells '1984' which was pretty hard to follow and get into, but it gets good and becomes pretty intriguing.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's Not About the Bike - Lance Armstrong with Sally Jenkins

Every Second Counts - Lance Armstrong also with Sally Jenkins

Sucking The Marrow Out Of Life - John Maclean

The three best books I have ever read, and the three of the most inspirational books, that I think anyone will come across.

According To Skull - Kerry O'Keefe is also a crack up :p

jeez people on this forum like auto/bio/graphys

anyway i have read hitchikers guide to the galxey i have read all my sons by arthur miller i liked it sad and intersting

Macr

Likes Dirt
Australian History books
Captain Cook biography
Rascals, ratbags and ruffians
Great convict escapes
Crackpots, ratbags and rebels

I am addicted to Australian history from European times. Have done extensive research into James Squire as well.

chie

Likes Dirt
Just finished a birthday present:
I Know You Got Soul - Jeremy Clarkson
On to:
A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pirates - Captain Charles Johnson
and halfway through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson, it's always good to pick up and read 5pages at a time from.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Just finished a birthday present:
I Know You Got Soul - Jeremy Clarkson
Great book! Got it for my Christmas last year. The layout's superb!

I'm a bit buggered at the moment. I've gone through all my own books and am stuck with a really dodgy legal thriller called The Hearing (it's no Grisham) and a couple of Dean Koontz that are lying around the office until I get back into Jo'burg next tuesday (I have a LOT of free time so they'll not last long...)

Binaural

Eats Squid
"Filth" by Irvine Walsh. Repulsive, yet absorbing.
"Breakfast of champions" by Kurt Vonnegut. Just started, not sure if I'm gonna finish.
"Lonely planet - China". Going to be spending a few months there this year.
"The mating mind" - Geoffrey Miller. One of the best books on sexual selection I've read, loads of insights into how Darwin's other big theory works.

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
I've just finished Pig City by Andrew Stafford which is a rather good history of Brisbane music over the last 30 years or so. By going into the background and influences of the bands, as well as society's reaction to them it ends up being an entertaining social/politcal history of the place as well.

I'm now starting on Starship Troopers in the hope that I can find some of the supposed subtlety of the movie that I didn't manage to pick up on.

Oh, I'm also trawling through Linux Device Drivers by Alexandro Rubini et al. which is quite good but not exactly an entertaining read.

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not particularly cerebral but "The Dangerous Book for Boys" by Conn Iggulden, it has everything from how to trap and kill rabbits to ancient history, Shakespeare and a few basic latin phrases. I was given it for my 30th birthday and can't seem to put it down, I wish I had a copy when I was eight.:)