AM Vodka Prime and Soda

Petero

Likes Dirt
Maybe this is just coming from a looong reach bike. Or maybe my stem (35mm) is too short for my desired reach (6ft tall). Any thoughts?
depending on old bike geo, if the seat tube angle was slacker, the corresponding ETT would have been longer, the ETT is what you'd feel with saddle to bar distance, not the reach.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
What do you mean by this? Cockpit gets shorter as seat gets lower, when would you be riding it around with the seat not fully extended (other than when standing up)?
I guess I'm still getting saddle height dialled in. At almost full leg extension (slight knee bend), it feels high/forward compared to what I'm used to, but mostly ok (still at the rear of the saddle).
Needs moar saddle-time for testing is what it needs!

dirtdad

Hmmm. Yeah, looks like from the ETT comparison on geo-geeks I could go for a bit more stem perhaps?

Looks like Foxy was 30mm stem. I wanted a slightly shorter feeling bike, but this shows there is a good 38mm difference in ETT. I'm not going to swap one in just yet. Will ride it a few hours before making any changes.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd take time getting used to riding that. The differences you've shown there are significant.

Despite differing geo on 3 bikes, I find the ETT (how it feels seated riding) are within 5mm of each other.

The steep STA takes a bit of getting used to also.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Ride no. 3 for the Prime. Little 20k ride with club yesterday across fire trails, singletrack, some rocky and rooty stuff. Getting used to the shorter reach now. Don't feel off the back of the saddle like I did initially, and it feels easier to get over the front and maintain grip than my Mondraker did.
A few kms in after the first singletrack section I stopped to figure out why my fork felt shite. Turns out Mr 4yr old had been 'helping' with my rebound settings, ie. fully closed off.

Getting the Mezzer fork settings a bit more dialled. Apart from initial rebound issue, felt quite stiff yesterday. So I revisted the recommended specs (and some internet ramblings) last night and realised i've probably had too much pressure (90/62psi) in the IRT/main spring to compensate for the fact I've left HSC/LSC wide open (Ah ha! there's more dials!).
Today I pulled the IRT and made sure it was greased up good. Then set IRT/main at 88/55psi. Much softer initial stroke, but still seems to ramp up enough in a driveway bounce test to avoid bottoming out. Then when I close off the LSC, I can feel it hold up a bit more in the mid-stroke, which is what my higher pressure was doing before. So now I just need some trail time to find out how much LSC damping I want to leave in there. Will leave HSC alone for now.

dirtdad

So another night ride last night.

I'm pretty happy with my fork settings. Supple off the top, but hold up well in the middle, and rarely gets near full travel. Will play with air pressures some more. But generally liking the Mezzer. It's super stiff too, which is nice coming from a Fox 34 (and pushing 85kg at the mo).

DPX2 rear shock is harder to get feeling good.
Things I've tried:
Left it per stock config, and set sag at 15mm. Rebound adjustment range is fine. Played with LSC, but don't feel big differences. Shock felt quite dead, like it has 10mm of softness, then ramps up wayyy to quick and bigger hits feel like a deadblow hammer.
Pulled the 0.6 volume spacer out over the weekend and reset sag to 16mm (16/55 = 29%). This is just outside Banshee's recommended 13.5-15mm. It feels like my travel is more useable now.
Will also try less sag, maybe 25% (around 14mm) more in line with recs.
Might also try putting a smaller vol spacer in rather than none, or just a little whack of slickoleum perhaps if I can't be bothered with the spacer kit.
Eventually I might want to grab a coil. The mezzer is just so plush that I don't know if I'm going to find a setting on the shock that gets me close in feel to the fork.

When setting sag, i notice there's a weird part near the top of the stroke where the shock feels like it gaps through part of it's travel without resistance. Was mulling over it all night, and realised this morning that it'll be where the dimple is to equalise the negative space. Feels shitty when I'm sitting and bouncing near the top of the travel, but I haven't noticed it out on the trails.

Overall still liking the Prime frame. May try a 45-50mm stem at some point. I've got a 35 on there at the moment, and it's perhaps a tiny bit short. Could use a little more weight over the front when it pushes on sandy/loamy corners.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@dirtdad I've found the DPX2 can be a little finicky to get set up but performs well once you hit the sweet spot. RE: sag, interesting you've gone to more sag without the volume spacer? I'd be trying for 25-27% sag, tending to the lower end of that without the spacer. Also make sure your damping is fully open when setting sag, the times I've best enjoyed the DPX2 have been when I've got it to a point where it only needs a couple of clicks of compression (from open) and maybe max ~4 clicks rebound. Obviously not on a Prime so take it with a pinch of salt but I do find as you say it can feel a bit dead when you're too reliant on the damping to compensate for the spring pressure not being quite right.

RE: spacers, I have a 0.2 and 0.4 here that are not enough for my 210x50 in the new frame... happy to swap either for the 0.6 if you want to try a smaller token.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
@dirtdad I've found the DPX2 can be a little finicky to get set up but performs well once you hit the sweet spot. Also make sure your damping is fully open when setting sag, the times I've best enjoyed the DPX2 have been when I've got it to a point where it only needs a couple of clicks of compression (from open) and maybe max ~4 clicks rebound.
110% this. I found I needed sizeable adjustments on rebound before I noticed any difference until I just threw everything open and worked from there.

dirtdad

Thanks all for the tips.

The more sag (16mm instead of 15mm) was more a matter of "surely that's enough" when I got to 250psi (after checking 4 times during the process) and I still couldn't bottom it from bouncing in the driveway.

Will go back and try out 25% sag on 0 spacers though, reset LSC and rebound and see how I go. Will also keep the spacer offer in mind though @leitch if I want to try a 0.4 as per ben above. I think I'll also let out all air and see where the actual bottom point of my travel is. Because maybe what I'm seeing as not bottoming when I look at the oring is actually the end of the shock travel?

dirtdad

October update

Finally weighed the thing. Bang on 15.5kg (with coil rear).

Been running a H3C xfusion coil rear now for a few months. Really enjoying it. Feels a little between spring rates, so might keep an eye out for 475 springs. Rebound needs to be almost completely closed or it's very fast. It's almost impossible to adjust rebound on the coil due to the shock cage getting in the way. Currently I use a stick to poke at it...
But on the whole, loving the coil, and finding traction abounds!

Played a fair bit with fork (Mezzer Pro) settings too. Currently I have it set at 150mm. Running 50psi main, 82psi IRT. Mostly closed LSC, 1 click (from open) HSC, and 2 clicks from open rebound damping.
Was a bit of an experiment from some MTBR commentary, using the compression damping to hold up in the midstroke, while being super supple off the top and getting out of the way of rocky bumps quickly. Working out ok while rebound is open enough to respond with the lower spring rate (lower main psi). If rebound is too closed it packs down and gets really chattery.

Overall, I'm finding heaps of traction and speed on the Prime. I'm able to stay off the brakes and just get into the flow.
The shorter reach and geo difference to my Mondraker makes it easier to find front wheel grip.

I can see why so many of you suggested the Banshees (or I'm really good at post-justifying purchases to myself).

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@dirtdad - what brake rotors are they in the pics in the OP? They look familiar but I can’t remember the brand…