video,divx problem???

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
hey, just a quik question. Im real confused about some divx and video stuff. I just downloaded some short mtb clips and trailers and none of them play in anything. I downloaded divx yet it doesnt work on that either. someone said that i need a codec or something/ any ideas or links?
one of the clips was the nwd5 trailer.

cheers, benny.

ashhash

Likes Dirt
Open it in Windows Media Player.

If it doesnt have the right codec installed it will say so and take you to the download location.

Also if you "right click" on it and select properties it will probably tell you what codec had been used in the summary section.

Ash

zac

Likes Dirt
first of all, find a program called media player classic - its kind of like a really pared down version of windows media player (xp one?) in that it'll play dvds, divx, etc but won't do playlists, burning, ripping or anything like that. it'll also quite happily run with the windows mp on the computer. then get yourself a little thing called gspot which is an app that tells you what codec you need to play just about any file. finally, ace megacodecs seems to be the go for an all in one codec pack. i've got these and the only reason my computer won't play 2 files is that they seem to be corrupted and my computer has an annoying habit of shutting down for no particular reason at all.

danv

Likes Dirt
ashhash said:
Yeah I agree...looking at the summary is a bit too easy...
]Looking at your background is a bit too easy :wink:

RE the original thread, I have had luck with this program. I'm not sure what it actually does, but it apparently 'changes' the codec for a file or something, but I only think it changes like what the codec is identified as or something, because it does it instantly. Anyway, I fiddled around with this program on a file I couldn't play, and ended up getting it playing on media player 9.
edit - if you fiddle with this program, I would advise making a backup of the file, although I've had no problems thus far.