Used SUV's ~$20K pref 7 seats

MasterOfReality

After forever
My missus has a 2017 CX9 and I hate it, the fucker is harder to park than my 200 series. Plus it cracked the head and pissed coolant everywhere. Goodwill repaired out of warranty by Mazda.

I always liked the V8 XC90 but they are getting long in the tooth now.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I like Brumbys a lot except for the teeny tiny little factory wheel and tyre combos. Doesn't really leave much room for (legal) upgrades. :confused:
Also when you get one as a truly elite bike chariot then realise that the front wheels overhang too low off the rear tailgate and need to be taken off :/
I always liked the V8 XC90 but they are getting long in the tooth now.
Yamaha V8 no less, underrated engine. Even @Haakon would approve of one of these.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Also when you get one as a truly elite bike chariot then realise that the front wheels overhang too low off the rear tailgate and need to be taken off :/

Yamaha V8 no less, underrated engine. Even @Haakon would approve of one of these.
Oh yes, those engines are a work of art. Classy understated performance - yes please.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
How can I say this without sounding like an arse, fuckit, I can't.

Don't tell cardy he is still sad that the grey motor is no longer in production. :p
That's kinda like dating an amputee. There is nothing wrong with it, it's still entertaining and they are probably a great person. But there still something missing.

It's 8 cylinders or go home.

(Now I've said it, you'll find me cringing in the corner)

ausdb

Being who he is
Thanks for the insightful & amusing commentary so far to help me with my plight. At the moment my SO still has her heart set on a Santa Fe or Sorento with some bells & whilstles as I'm sick of vanilla outlanders.
However as she's upped the budget slightly I am sort of trying to get her to consider non 7 seat options too, @Haakon would surely approve of something like this.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Thanks for the insightful & amusing commentary so far to help me with my plight. At the moment my SO still has her heart set on a Santa Fe or Sorento with some bells & whilstles as I'm sick of vanilla outlanders.
However as she's upped the budget slightly I am sort of trying to get her to consider non 7 seat options too, @Haakon would surely approve of something like this.
I like the look of them, how have the DSG's held up?

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
From my memory, the Skodas had a better reputation than VW for the dsgs as they seemed to implement the equivalent gearbox a bit later and would usually be able to solve any issues before putting them in. I don't remember details as I was buying manual so wasn't too fussed when doing my research. This was 5 years ago. I have an Octavia Scout and have been happy with it.

I would love to replace my wife's car with a Skoda Superb but she is insistent on "Wagons Bad, SUV good" so she can continue to drive her POS Dualis until I can schedule some sessions between her and Haakon.

I would love to change our cars so we have a small ev for most of our driving and have a van or similar as a second vehicle for occasional holiday/utility use/a second vehicle but that's a luxury that is out of the budget.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
From a car forum -

It was the early 7 speed dry unit in lower powered cars, 2005ish - 2010, that generated the most noise about reliability. Gearbox model no 0AM.

The 02E DQ250 (6 speed wet) and DQ500 (7 speed dry) are both very robust and reliable units - if looked after, which is the standard caveat for all cars.

As to which car got which gearbox in which year, I'm afraid you'll have to research it. VAG are constantly chopping and changing things.

Look for the 3 digit gearbox code on the options sticker (iirc), such as 02E, 0AM or if it's a manual, 02Q, 0A6 etc. If not on the sticker, it will be stamped into the gearbox casing near the drain/filler plugs.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
They seem to have resolved most of the DSG issues, and a second hand car a few years old is likely ok, provided the maintenance on the gearbox has been kept up. The wet clutch DQ250 did have a few failures around, nowhere near as much as the dry clutch found in Polos, Golfs and some of the lower spec Wagons though.