Unicycles

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Aldi has unicycles this week. Who is getting one? Who can give me a few pointers on riding a unicycle?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

g3rg

Likes Bikes
I have one of the Aldi unicycles, but haven't learnt to ride it properly yet. I can ride 5m in a straight line and need to lean on something to get started. There's a lot of youtube videos on learning to ride a unicycle.

For mucking around there's nothing wrong with them, especially at that price.

RDH

Likes Dirt
Aldi has unicycles this week. Who is getting one? Who can give me a few pointers on riding a unicycle?
Riding a unicycle is a pretty easy 3-step process:

1: Start riding it
2: Ride it
3: Finish riding it

3 simple steps.

No, but seriously, youtube has 74,400 results for 'how to ride a unicycle' and, like most youtube tutorials, some of them are really good. Some are probably sh!t so ignore those ones. Failing that, just give it a go and feel your way into it*.

One tip: if you do decide to buy one from the Aldi, the very first thing you must learn is how let the bike fall out from under you when you lose your balance. If you don't, you risk breaking one or both of your wrists as you go down with it. If it wants to go forward, let it go forward. If it wants to go back, let it go back. The important thing is that you fall straight down and land on both feet. This should make more sense if you watch the tutorials.

Happy trails
RDH

*that's what she said.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Talk to Pete the Digitalhippy, he rides a 36" mountain unicycle. As for the XTs I can't understand brakes on a unicycle, the laws of physics would dictate massive craniofacial injuries every time you applied them.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Still not sure weather to ride clipped...... Got it today and I still haven't broken my wrists. :) anyone else keen for some unicycle mtb in a few months time?

Get one... Everyone needs a unicycle.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Talk to Pete the Digitalhippy, he rides a 36" mountain unicycle. As for the XTs I can't understand brakes on a unicycle, the laws of physics would dictate massive craniofacial injuries every time you applied them.
That is mucho funny if you can see your avatar. Unicycle much?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It's not me, thankfully. If I had a mug like that I'd happily smash it into the pavement daily..... :fish2:

0psi

Eats Squid
It's not me, thankfully. If I had a mug like that I'd happily smash it into the pavement daily..... :fish2:
No you wouldn't. If you had a mug like that you'd happily smash it into male crotches daily. . . . :jaw: A step too far?

moorey

call me Mia
Don't lie, that's you, you handsome devil.
Back on topic, make sure you run a narrow wide ring, like all the cool kids.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Make sure the seat is straight your hip angle has a massive effect on your turning (as it should with every bike) but unicycles are massively noticeable if its a little out.

You need to lean forward to go forward, too many people try to stay straight up and they will pedal and the unicycle will kick out from under them and they will fall backwards.

There are two ways to start but I use the pedal down method, I'd suggest you start on a pole or a fence so you can lean on something as you progress.

The pedal down is, you start with your weight on one leg pointing straight down for me this works but for others they find it unstable, others start with the pedals more level WHIJ gives them momentum off the bat.

Don't be scared of hurting the unicycle you will launch this thing from under you plenty of time.

Look up and forward not down..
Arms out and up.

persistence

On and if you are a male make are your junk is comfy and out of the way before you jump on the seat. Sitting on your balls is not comfortable.