Ultimate Frisbee

Did you know the sport was called "Ultimate"?

• Yes.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • No.

Votes: 24 24.7%

• Total voters

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i sused to play it in uni and wasnt to bad. i liked how it was real social, but we made up songs for the other team at the end and had to sing them. yes we were dirty enviro hippies, but no i was not proud.
I tried to hook up with a team in london but after attending the training i was put off by how serious they were. there are some scary good people at ultimate. be scared of hippies with skills!

Linnertson

Likes Bikes
Woo I am so excited! 385 Days until worlds! although Ultimate Frisbee in Australia isnt that popular we still keep our athletic ability's by showing that a small country can produce great players no matter what the sport. Last year we came 4th out of about 10 other counties! but not surprisingly USA came first followed by Canada then Colombia and then Australia. But for the 3rd time in a row we won the Spirit award (yes there is one). The girls came 3rd out of 5 counties and also won the Spirit award so they did very well too. Here is the World junior ultimate championships dvd trailer from last year.
Note: WJUC is every 2 years.

-Alex

matty_101

Likes Dirt
Are you so bad at other sports that you started this one? I don't see how throwing a frisbee to someone gives it sufficient grounds to be a world sport, I'd understand if it was only played in Holland.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I played it a couple of times in about 1989 when living in Canada, I didn't get it then, and I don't really get it now. We did play a game once while riding bikes, that was a heap more fun:D

Ryan

Radministrator
Ultimate is a pseudo-sport at best. I played it once at uni and never again. It's like a poor, red-headed, limp-wristed cousin to AFL and nowhere near as fast or skilful. The only thing it has going for it in the 'real sport' stakes is the fact that you play 90 minutes non-stop, which is pretty tough.

The creepy hyper-religious kids at my college used Ultimate as a recruiting tool - strike one.
Non contact, constant repetition of a single skill - strike two.
Leitch the soy-vanilla-frapuccino-girls-jeans-pastel-shirt-metro-jacket-scenester-metro likes it - strike three.

Linnertson

Likes Bikes
Are you so bad at other sports that you started this one?
Well not really.. I have made state/won for Rugby union, Euro handball, Basketball. Played rep soccer and AFL And am 5th in Australia for long jump, 100m and 200m sprint... (I am aware I sound like a douche bag but im just proving my point)

Ultimate is a really great game IF played properly . I dont understand how you say "I don't see how throwing a frisbee to someone gives it sufficient grounds to be a world sport" but yet soccer(just a example), kicking a ball to someone is any different..

-Alex

Last edited:

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I've had a go. It was 1994 in QLD at Pimlico High, Townsville (I fucking hated that school, got in trouble with the headmaster in the first 10 minutes I was there :rolleyes:). I didnt really enjoy the game, would rather be playing footy.

From memory if you DIDNT have the frisbee you could tackle/get tackled if you did have it you had to stand netball style and not run? I think we played a variation of the game.

They play it on the ovals next to my work, we evenm hosted the Ultimate Games not that long ago, I was amazed at how many people showed up to play.

J

JaRedy

Dig dig dig!

Just got home from a weekend tournament on the Gold Coast...8 games, 1 party, 2 days...almost killed me.
I did a search for "frisbee" here and two Ultimate threads came up. This one and a more recent one. However the more recent one was full of crap so I opted to dig up this one instead of making a brand new thread for it. I also saw the name linnerston pop up several times...wonder if he's still with us?

I gotta say it is damn addictive, I only started playing this year with some friends from uni after being introduced to the sport through my girlfriend, and i'm already booked in for Uni games (AUG) at the gold coast this year, and I couldn't be more excited :). (That smiley looks retarted). Despite the novelty of the sport (and the weird looks you get from people if you mention it), it's actually really really fun!

Ever since primary school where I played soccer (and didnt like it) I pretty much haven't played any team sports until now, which is my 2nd year of uni. Instead, alike to many people on this forum, I found no sport gives me the same excitement and fun factor that riding does. But nonetheless, somehow I have gotten hooked to frisbee. I think its the fact that practically everyone is a uni student, and at times its just one big piss-take (with hip-thrusting chants and team names to do with making love and getting down to f**k). Lastly pretty much everybodys snice, and theres less of that competetive overtone which is evident in netball for example (I tried playing mixed netball for uni last year and I hated it because everybody took it too seriously...even though it was a beginner league)! Throwing frisbees around is pretty fun, too...who doesnt like throwing frisbees?

I'm going to try and get my little brother into it, he's actually taken interest without me even encouraging it...like asking me if I wanna throw around at the park, or stealing my frisbee to throw around with his friends. (First time he did that he apologised but I couldnt have been more glad that he was enjoying himself).

Last edited by a moderator:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Goin to agree with it being the only team sport I really enjoy! I only play socially with friends (Mayb 4 times a year when we're all together) but it's simple rules and great fun, and low impact, whenever I play soccer or footy I get hurt caus I'm to light wieght haha

Good to hear you're enjoying it

nickdos

Likes Dirt
I've been playing for over 10 years (my AFDA membership number is < 250). There are a lot of MTB'ers who play - there is sometimes an all Ulti playing team in the 24 hour MTB events.