Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'd give them a go but I'm too much of a tight arse and generally don't even like paying more than $50 for tyres, which has been easy with @Haakon and @Litenbror moving their High Roller II's on to me for peanuts, I still have two fresh ones.

I also haven't had a pinch flat since I stopped using tubes, about 3200km of riding, the two flats I've had were a puncture and a sidewall tear both on the Trek with the Bontragers. Reckon I've only pinged a rim half a dozen times on the Bronson and no rim damage or flats in 2000km. Clearly I am old, not CORE don't go 'ARD enough ;)

Anyway thread reminds me I need to change my rear tyre soon, and put some juice in immediately.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'd give them a go but I'm too much of a tight arse and generally don't even like paying more than $50 for tyres, which has been easy with @Haakon and @Litenbror moving their High Roller II's on to me for peanuts, I still have two fresh ones.

I also haven't had a pinch flat since I stopped using tubes, about 3200km of riding, the two flats I've had were a puncture and a sidewall tear both on the Trek with the Bontragers. Reckon I've only pinged a rim half a dozen times on the Bronson and no rim damage or flats in 2000km. Clearly I am old, not CORE don't go 'ARD enough ;)

Anyway thread reminds me I need to change my rear tyre soon, and put some juice in immediately.
Before tomorrow morning ideally!

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use Rimpact, just the standard version but might go the thicker option in the rear when I get round to it. I didn’t want the weight of cushcore, but was looking for a bit of rim protection. Works fine for me :)

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Part of my CRC order was delivered on Friday and so operation “put ARD in the tyre” was begun. I was expecting a struggle but it was really quite easy. The insert popped right into the rim and required a little more concentration (for me) to get the bead under the ARD wing but it was still quite easy.

I normally run 28-30psi on a Minion SS DD, and dropped it to 24psi for the day. It was my first real ride since the start of lockdown and I was very rusty. I rode Boulder, Travis and Cressy and was lacking in all forms of skill and finesse. I ploughed through every rock and bounced over every square edge I was trying to avoid and didn’t once hear a rim pinging off a rock...

I can definitely feel the extra weight but it doesn’t bother me at all. Two thumbs up;)

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Was that just Hero and Shred or further up Elevation and DH where the real rocks hang out?
I’m a big fan of Cushcore. I like and notice the ride quality. Like having a touch extra travel. Also last I changed tires I noticed a huge amount of marking where I’m sure I would have smashed the rim. I don’t love changing tires and have had some major shit fights getting certain stiffer tires on and off but I still think it’s worth it. Never had to put a tube in trail side since I started running them.

Forget Huck Norris. For my plow riding they were absolutely useless.
Update to my previous response: spent the day doing shuttles to the top of Mystic on Saturday and rode Elevation either all the way down or at least the top half into hero all day.
I stand by my previous comments - don’t see the advantage. It may very well be that I‘m just not smashing shit hard enough. Or that, at 72kg kitted up, I’m not heavy enough. Or a combination of the two. But I’ve ridden the same trails with no insert and ‘just’ an EXO casing minion SS on the back and been fine with no flats or dented rims. Same this time around but noticeably more weight - which didn’t really bother me but was noticeable in a small way.
Cushcore has been a bit of an experiment for me and can’t say I would bother in the future. I know that’s just me and there are plenty of people who get a real benefit from them so maybe it comes down to how you ride and where you ride...

moorey

call me Mia
I find myself in a pickle tonight...rode the Alpine in anger for the first time in months....and really think I’d like to take it to TransTas.
The issue...it’s 26. Not an issue, other than finding a tyre that will last the distance. I’ve got plenty of standard new EXO, but don’t trust the casing in rocky terrain...particularly if I can’t carry spares or rely on 26” spares in Tassie.
Can’t find any DD 26” online anyway without paying $110 plus post, and still only in 2.3”. Nope.
Found my fave wild enduro in 26. Stock is 10+ weeks away.
I think if I ran a tyre insert, with standard EXO, I might get away with it. Maybe.
Are there good options in 26” or only stupid wheel sizes?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I find myself in a pickle tonight...rode the Alpine in anger for the first time in months....and really think I’d like to take it to TransTas.
The issue...it’s 26. Not an issue, other than finding a tyre that will last the distance. I’ve got plenty of standard new EXO, but don’t trust the casing in rocky terrain...particularly if I can’t carry spares or rely on 26” spares in Tassie.
Can’t find any DD 26” online anyway without paying $110 plus post, and still only in 2.3”. Nope.
I think if I ran a tyre insert, with standard EXO, I might get away with it. Maybe.
Bet you’re wishing Trump won now so you could take a 29er to Tas ;)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Magic Mary super gravitys?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...mary-evo-super-gravity-mtb-tyre/rp-prod203496

2.5 Dhf dual plys?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...-dhf-mountain-bike-tyre-dual-ply-/rp-prod4620

There's a few other options on crc.