Tyre dilemma. Need help!

Ideate

Tubeless wont stop you getting pinch flats, but it will reduce the number of times you get them.
It has for me. I put a tube in a about six months ago to use up one of my cheap tyres and literally got a pinch flat 30 seconds into my first run. Just the other week I scored a nail in my rear minion on the way to work.. Pulled it out and forgot about it. Still riding it even without an air top up.

I could go on.. weight has never been a concern but since going tubeless, I've never had a flat in about two and a half years of rocks, cases, nails, sticks, glass, gutters.. Mavic ust and stans is magic.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Pros and cons for both. I followed a bloke on a group ride the other day and it was his first time tubeless. He took a sharp right hander, skidded out a bit then I heard a loud fart noise, he crapped himself and didn't know what had happened at first.

<Steven>

Likes Dirt
Pros and cons for both. I followed a bloke on a group ride the other day and it was his first time tubeless. He took a sharp right hander, skidded out a bit then I heard a loud fart noise, he crapped himself and didn't know what had happened at first.

I hope you're referring to his tyre! ...read it again :yuck: :laugh:

Flow-Rider

Burner
LOL! I hope it was from his tyre, It rolled one side of his tyre off the rim, luckily he was able to remount it with a hand pump on the trail. :pound:

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I know DH things are a bit different, and the weight differences get amplified due to the size difference, but it does surprise me a bit that the tubeless Minions are lighter than their standard counterparts. Going back to the XC setup, I can't recall all the numbers exactly, but the extra meat in the UST tyres vs foldie equivalents, plus valves & goo roughly equated to one tube.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes, definitely needs a second read to not be taken too literally! :laugh:

jarrod839

Banned
hi Jarrod , mate the standard Minnion works tubeless as well if that helps .
thanks mate
Tried tracking down some minions online and could only track down a front in the standard 2.5 and no rears. Meant to be more stock coming in mid jan so will grab some them.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Incorrect.

correct.

I speak from the sucky experience of a brand new $80 XR3 pinching right on the summit of Stromlo - sealant all up the inside of my leg.
I'll be buggered. How do you get a pinch flat with out a tube to pinch???? Please explain???? I haven't had a flat since going tubeless. Shit have I just jinxed myself???

And so as not to hijack the thread,

Here's a few observations for you: have you tried the 42 compound aka Super Tacky, it's a lot softer than the 60 compound.
Wouldn't this leave him in the same situation as he has with the Magic Mary's? eg going through them more frequently? I have no idea about mtb tyres but from watching a lot of motor sport softer compounds = better grip but much shorter lifespan.

T-Rex

Template denier
I'll be buggered. How do you get a pinch flat with out a tube to pinch???? Please explain????
Sure. If you hit a rock hard enough, the rim drives itself through the tyre case, putting a cut right next to the edge of the tyre bead. It's a real pisser on a couple of levels. Even if you are running sealant in your UST tyre, which costs 50% more than a regular tyre, the sidewall flexes right at the point where the cut is, so it doesn't seal up. And, you can't patch it from the inside because it's so close to the edge of the bead. The only thing you can do is put Supaglue in the cut, and this only works about 50% of the time. I've got a rack full of tyres damaged like this, the only thing you can do is tube them.

Wouldn't this leave him in the same situation as he has with the Magic Mary's? eg going through them more frequently? I have no idea about mtb tyres but from watching a lot of motor sport softer compounds = better grip but much shorter lifespan.
Your motor racing analogy is spot on, the same principle applies. The soft compound Minions grip better, but wear faster. If you look at a used tyre off a fast guy's bike, especially a front, you will see the inside of the outer knobs get undercut, so the knob folds over rather than supporting the rider's weight as he applies pressure on the turn in. The centre knobs are normal height and are hardly worn, but the tyre won't support a fast run.

T-Rex

Template denier
I know DH things are a bit different, and the weight differences get amplified due to the size difference, but it does surprise me a bit that the tubeless Minions are lighter than their standard counterparts.

UST minions have a fabric bead, a bit like a folding XC tyre, only you can't really fold them. A tube Minion has a wire bead, ie plenty of steel. The extra sidewall thickness of the UST brings it up to close to the weight of the tubed Minion with it's wire bead.