Turner DW Link

S.

ex offender
Im not really "resisting" change. My point is (and i think its completely valid and true) that turners generally always ride awesome (as DW points out, when he designed the sunday the DHR was his benchmark) and they are engineered really well. The DW link camp is going to benefit massively out of this alliance, more then turner will IMO. Muppets will ride a turner dw link for the first time and will truely beleive the riding experience is all because of the dw link because "the dw link is the best suspension design in the universe, i read it on ridemonkey and mtbr" and forget that geometry and build quality are (more IMO) important.

Sure, turner will sell more bikes and for the time being the bikes they sell will be the most sought after, but what happens when turner stop using the DW link? Nothing last's forever, look what is about to happen to iron horse. Helped build up the DW link brand (if you can say that....) then cast aside. Hope turner doesn't go the same way, time will tell, enjoy it while it last's i guess.
Man you can talk some crap. What about the people who jump on it and go "wow this pedals awesome, it must be because it's a Turner!"? Talk about building straw men, that was the worst argument I've seen for weeks, and on Farkin that's saying something!

What you seem to be deliberately missing is that Turner now have a quantifiably better suspension design than they used to, and instead trying to find every possible speculative reason to be negative about it, which again reinforces my comment that you are simply anti-Weagle. Cast aside? ahahah - do you have any idea why the contract was terminated with IH (but not with Ibis, Pivot, or Indy Fab)? Possibly the same business decisions that led to several of their prominent forum-using long-time employees to quit the company? Are you aware of just how badly IH is shooting itself in the foot right now? They have gotten rid of their entire dealership network (at least in America) and are now selling through a SINGLE online outlet that just so happens to be owned by the son of the guy who owns IH. Who on earth would want to be associated with that?

Seriously dude your post was point blank retarded.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im not really "resisting" change. My point is (and i think its completely valid and true) that turners generally always ride awesome (as DW points out, when he designed the sunday the DHR was his benchmark) and they are engineered really well. The DW link camp is going to benefit massively out of this alliance, more then turner will IMO. Muppets will ride a turner dw link for the first time and will truely beleive the riding experience is all because of the dw link because "the dw link is the best suspension design in the universe, i read it on ridemonkey and mtbr" and forget that geometry and build quality are (more IMO) important.

Sure, turner will sell more bikes and for the time being the bikes they sell will be the most sought after, but what happens when turner stop using the DW link? Nothing last's forever, look what is about to happen to iron horse. Helped build up the DW link brand (if you can say that....) then cast aside. Hope turner doesn't go the same way, time will tell, enjoy it while it last's i guess.

Whoa man, you must be spending way to much time on the forum's. I understand there is a heavy pro dw vibe from a LOT of people when you read a lot of that stuff. So a lot of people are happy with their bikes and a lot are just jumping on the bandwagon, big deal. The "dw camp" are going to benefit massively from this alliance? You mean you pointless arguments are going to be that much harder now?? Relax man, you're going to love your new DHR!

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We shouldn't be bitching, we should be celebrating. Turner is making a DH bike with one of the best suspension designs invented, but keeping the good aspects of the old DHR, build quality, pivot quality, geometry, customer service, etc. I reckon this bike is gonna make a big stamp on the high end DH frame market, maybe I'll even buy one.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
FFS! Im not bitching. Im not dissing on DW. I never said the DW-link is crap. Calm down, its like poking a stick into an ants nest with you lot.

Im merely putting forward my point of view (and i don't care if you agree or not) that there are more important things then suspension design, turners have and always will ride awesome (even DW points this out) and im glad DW got someone onboard who can make the bike properly for him and put to rest the bad rep sundays had. Im 100% sure the new DHR will kick arse, my order is already in

No need to go calling me a retard (thanks Steve!) or saying my point of view is pointless. Anyway, over and out!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Cave Dweller, apart from those just hung up on asthetics, most of us are talking about the new suspension design here.
I'm fairly certain that it will not be as active while pedaling as your DHR even though the shock angle at the start of the stroke is so mild and will require little effort to move it, and the links don't appear to change that(S?).
It will have better square edge compliance and small bump compliance if not pedaling.
It won't bob as much when pedaling.
The geo won't quicken up quiet as much when slamming corners.
It will(depending on wheelbase differences)be more stable when bottoming(big jumps/drops).
It should feel like it has a lower COG.
The geo should remain a bit more consistent.
These are my conclusions from looking at the pics, would anyone care to discuss them?
Will it get pedal kick back when pedaling in the rough?
I'd love to see a moving pic of the suspension moving through it's stroke, but I never managed to even see that on the Iron Horse.
I'm not trying to get a flame suit here, I'm trying to collectivly use our minds to discuss it and figure out how it'll ride to the best of our knowledge.
A square wheel will go clump clump clump, I can tell by looking at a pic.
When Intense and Santa Cruz went to VPP from 4-bar/FSR and single pivot respectively, there was also much skepticism. There's obviously still some dissatisfaction, but on the whole it's been a positive and progressive move.
I bet Turner's decision proves the same.
The first V10s where crap, and a stupid design that they admitted themselves, or so I heard:) They were shit though.

Last edited:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The first V10s where crap, and a stupid design that they admitted themselves, or so I heard:) They were shit though.
Yes, they were. But the point was (as I know you know :D) they got better pretty quickly, and the new ones apparently address the 'stalling' shortfall of the last designs.

Flux and 5Spot are real, the Sultan is still comgen.
But at least 2 are real now. Better than the renderings, I believe.

binner

Hath shat hymself
ohhhhhh my

Bill, put me down for a RFX and DHR please......I can wait, I enjoy reading this thread, it's electric!!!. ;)

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Settle down, Cowgals!

DW said he was not renewing the IH contract because they were not fully incorporating his ideas, and he felt the product could have improved should they have done so. DT rode an Ibis, loved it, spoke with DW, and so it all began. And yep, DW used the DHR as the benchmark for his IH designs, so with the synergy of the two, sweet, downhilling love was made, and now, amidst sometimes agonising labour pains, the DWDTDHR is being born. Sadly we are just going to have to be patient before we know if it's a healthy baby or not, but at least it's a baby, and I doubt it will be worse than the TNT DHR. If you have any questions just swing onto the Turner forum at mtbr, where DT and DW have independant threads where they will address any of you personally. Nice fellas.

As for my opinion:

Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, etc...

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Must say I've noticed there is always a lot of carry on about Turner & DW, but I've never paid much attention to the bikes.
I will agree with one thing, the new DHR looks better than the current design. Although I'll still stand by my opinion that I'd hate having to clean one!

Don't know enough to comment on the technical side of things! Even if I did I don't think it would compare to some of the arguments you guys can come up with. Certainly look forward to reading reviews & hype once the bike does actually come out!

DJR

Likes Dirt
RFX in British Racing Green, take off the Float and replace it with a Roco Air or Coil, Lyrik up front, XT wheels, hone cranks, X-9 running gear, Elixir 7" brakes = YUM

Last edited: