Tubeless setup ( leaking sealant)

Baino

Likes Bikes
Hi all, last week I decided to give tubeless a go, so far so good however after today's ride I noticed sealant coming out from my tyre bead and rim. Is this normal, I'm kinda new to all this so I'm learning as I go.

Cheers

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What pressure are you running?

Did they snap onto the bead when you inflated them when going tubeless?

Baino

Likes Bikes
What pressure are you running?

Did they snap onto the bead when you inflated them when going tubeless?
ATM there in 27psi, I didn't actually do the conversion myself, the bike shop that I purchased from did, last week when I picked the bike up there was abit of leakage however I was told they put abit extra sealant in and that it would dry up. Do you think maybe I should pump the tyres right up until it pops perhaps?

struggles

Likes Dirt
I am with you ctguru. If you don't get that scare the crap out of you bead pop they will not seal.

My tyres need at least 40-50psi to seat the bead.

Baino

Likes Bikes
I am with you ctguru. If you don't get that scare the crap out of you bead pop they will not seal.

My tyres need at least 40-50psi to seat the bead.
Il give that a go thanks for the advice guys, will I need to add more sealant now after I do this?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends how much you've lost. Pop the bead off enough to check the sealant, add more if needed. Then inflate the tyres to their max PSI, leave over night. In the morning, deflate back down to your desired pressure.

Baino

Likes Bikes
Depends how much you've lost. Pop the bead off enough to check the sealant, add more if needed. Then inflate the tyres to their max PSI, leave over night. In the morning, deflate back down to your desired pressure.
I feel abit stupid asking this, how much sealant is enough? Incase I do need to top up what sealant would you suggest?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everyone is different, I usually run two scoops of Stans, which is about the same as a couple of tablespoons. You just want a decent puddle in the bottom, not a big pool of fluid.

If you get a big enough tear, it's not going to seal no matter how much fluid you have, and if you're running good sealant, you'll need f&%k all for most normal punctures, in fact quite often you wont even know you've had one.

Last edited:

Baino

Likes Bikes
Everyone is different, I usually run two scoops of Stans, which is about the same as a couple of tablespoons. You just want a decent puddle in the bottom, not a big pool of fluid.

If you get a big enough tear, it's not going to seal no matter how much fluid you have, and if you're running good sealant, you'll need f&%k all for most normal punctures, in fact quite often you wont even know you've had one.
Cheers for the advice mate, what sealant do you use?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stans. I've used all of them, including some I've made myself, and Stans is the best.

EDIT - Spex is pretty good too.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
i say just enough goo so they hold pressure for about a week without needing a pump

the goo coming from your beads is just sealing them up! good thing when it dries. it only happens with tires with thinner sidewalls. on my 2.4 continentals no seeping... 2.2s = seeping.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It sounds like the tyre berping . This could happen because the bike is bottoming out or too lower tyre pressure .
The first thing to do would be to pump the tyres up to 50/55 psi and check that the tyre has been beaded properl . If your not sure spin your tyre and look down at the tyre if it looks warped lik the wheel is bucked stop the tyre at that point and check it .

Baino

Likes Bikes
It sounds like the tyre berping . This could happen because the bike is bottoming out or too lower tyre pressure .
The first thing to do would be to pump the tyres up to 50/55 psi and check that the tyre has been beaded properl . If your not sure spin your tyre and look down at the tyre if it looks warped lik the wheel is bucked stop the tyre at that point and check it .
Guess that makes sence mate as I noticed it when I dropped the pressure right down. Cheers mate

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
If the shop did the fit then it should be their problem not yours. Take it back.

But if you want to diy, check out Stans installation videos, very good. Check the bead is seated properly. Most tyres have a small line running just above the bead. Check it is the same distance from the rim all the way around on both sides.

My ignitors needed about 45psi to seat the bead. Crossmarks needed about 55psi. Used a servo air hose for both.

Once you think it is seated, press the sidewalls in and listen for air escaping. If the tyre is sealing by the sidewall pressing up against the rim it will release air when pressed. If it's seated properly and the bead is against the rim it wont leak.

A std Stans cup = approx 2tbs = 50ml. You should only need 1 cup, especially if there is already stuff in there. I use a 50ml syringe and aquarium hose to put the stans in via the valve.