Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

John U

MTB Precision
Relations between Russia and the USA at an 'all time low' according to Trump.

I guess this was how it was always going to be with Trump. Relations with other super powers was always going to be all time low or all time high.

golden path

Banned
So....US naval carrier group vs North Korea.

Who's gunna blink first?

Thoughts - China needs to step up and help remove Kim Jong Un, rescue the NK people from this crackpot, install a decent leader, and help stabilise the region.

The US aren't going to let him build a long range nuke.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Relations between Russia and the USA at an 'all time low' according to Trump.

I guess this was how it was always going to be with Trump. Relations with other super powers was always going to be all time low or all time high.
Its all just a show. A few weeks ago who was it that America was accusing Trump of being in bed with?

Putin needs his pipelined.
Indeed he does.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Putin needs his pipeline.
Not about access to energy. Russia needs to remain globally relevant (so, choose an allay that you can defend - which means logistically possible, the launching of cruise missiles from the Caspian showshow proximity plays a part in who to support and who to let go) and needs to retain a port in the Mediterranean. There is an intersection with the seizing of Crimea, that is the only deep water port that Russia has access to that doesn't freeze over during winter. Crimea is required to supply Tartus in Syria (along with simply having a navy that can operate 12 months a year) and Tartus is required to give Russia a strategic footprint in the Med/Arabic world. Turkey controls access to the Bosporus. Should they cut access for Russia they don't have access all year round to the maritime commons. With Tartus they can still launch vessels without relying on the relationship with Ankara. Etc., etc,

So....US naval carrier group vs North Korea.

Who's gunna blink first?

Thoughts - China needs to step up and help remove Kim Jong Un, rescue the NK people from this crackpot, install a decent leader, and help stabilise the region.

The US aren't going to let him build a long range nuke.
http://www.smh.com.au/world/china-w...lear-weapons-state-media-20170413-gvk9pm.html

The Global Times, in its Chinese-language editorial, warned there is increasing consensus between the US and China on the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula, with one difference being that the US may be prepared to use force.

North Korea's best option was to announce a halt to its nuclear program, and in return China would ensure North Korea's security afterwards and help to revive its economy, the editorial said.

The problem is what can the US do to stop them? It's a country of 25-30m people. Putting troops on the ground is 2003 all over again, no Pres wants their name on that, especially 1 year into their admin. Second, look what happened in 1952 when the US came close to the Chinese border; human waves pushed them back past the 38th parallel almost into Seoul - the take away being is that DPRK is a matter worth fighting for. However, today, the PRC has nukes. THat means the stakes are existence as we know it. You think Trump has the bottle to make that call based on incomplete information in constrained time frames? Doubtful; easy to be the tough guy when you're not held responsible for the big calls.

China has nowhere near the leverage over DPRK that people thing. DPRK actually has the upper hand in that relationship because China cannot tolerate a failed DPRK. If Pyongyang falls - for any reason at all - China cops 10-20 million people spilling across the Yalu into a region that is already struggling. Secondly, if Korea unites under a Western friendly govt that would essentially take the US to the Chinese northern border, where you can drive a tank/supply an army all the way to Beijing.

Nobody gives a shit about the North Korean people. The US doesn't want any more nuclear peers, China doesn't want THAAD in ROK or a nuclear Japan. DPRK has told generations that the military first doctrine is for their own good and that their deprivation is both a consequence of American imperialism and that once they are able to defend themselves they will have freedom from want, etc. (problem here is that the hunger and lack of development isn't completely consequential to their cost of a nuke deterrent but a product of Stalinist/ultra-totalitarian govt, but the people don't know that). So the North Koreans cannot give up their nuke program as they have told generations of their folk that the only way to survive is to have a deterrent (just look at Gaddafi, Saddam and Assad), and that goal is why their budget has been largely been directed to the military all these years. Can't just go ditching it now as people will ask why they had to suffer for no real outcome.

This is a pretty serious gig, fuck it up and the Pacific gets a lot shittier.

safreek

fuck me Hillary, stop whinging and get over it. Fuckwit beat the other fuckwit, that's life. go and blow a big fattie and relax:hippie:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I tried but fell asleep a few mins in after a 12 hour day.

Doesn't sound like there were any bombshells though.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I tried but fell asleep a few mins in after a 12 hour day.

Doesn't sound like there were any bombshells though.
I'm just reading through the political analyses now. So many breadcrumbs carefully scattered that are bound to keep this train chugging for many months to come. Comey reminds me of that guy who finally got their revenge on their dickhead boss in the most public possible way.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh come on, who wouldn't do her.
The thought of her and Theresa together with me, triple banging. Sorry got to go for 20minutes or so. The thoughts are, frankly, arousing:gossip::gossip:
19:30 minutes of spooning yourself and crying on the floor of the shower...