Totally Over Magpies

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I was looking for this thread the other day :) got swooped just around the corner from home about ten days ago, just a little. Two days ago same magpie was more aggressive and followed me home, Bout 50 metres swooping all the way and getting closer. Nasty bugger. Thing is there's a large and heavily treed reserve just across from their nesting tree :crazy:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Funny this thread became active today. I just logged onto the forum specifically with the intention of digging this thread up.

It has begun.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Got swooped the other day on the roadie for the first time ever, scared the shot out of me, tell ya what though got some nice sprint practice in.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Got swooped today... I just Fkn hate the things.

Nuf said...
I love 'em! You have to admire an animal attacking something 40 times it's size whilst on the move. Respect from me.

Look, it's only six or so weeks. I find a simple wave of the hand above the head (you can ride one handed can't you?) is all you need until you are out of their way. The other solution is to find another route for the next few weeks...

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
6 weeks! Try all bloody summer! There're is one in Redhill,Vic. Worst I have ever dealt with full contact swoops almost every time. Tennis racquet time me thinks..

mtb1611

Seymour
I have fantasies of killing the bastard piece of shite magpie that presides over a certain section of the Mt Annan course. To add insult to injury, a posse of them appear to have taken a liking to my garden and are taking great delight in digging it up in search of food. As if I didn't need a reason to wish extinction upon their wretched faeces of a species. Die you early-morning warbling head-attacking lawn-destroying gits!

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the Maggie's are digging in your lawn you probly have the early stages of a insect problem, usually something like African black beetle, normal time of year for that as the grubs start munching away at the turf. Another reason why I hate them.. They make my nice grass crappy looking lol

mtb1611

Seymour
If the Maggie's are digging in your lawn you probly have the early stages of a insect problem, usually something like African black beetle, normal time of year for that as the grubs start munching away at the turf. Another reason why I hate them.. They make my nice grass crappy looking lol
Aha...thanks for the heads-up mate....still hate them and I feel your lawn-pain haha!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry for your hate, I love them. They are really intelligent and if you want to kill a bird, then you have a brain unworthy of the bird!

Magpies understand reason, not tennis racquets. Maggies need you to look them in the eye.

Our locals have new babies for a week or so. The parents seem to hate each other, but this is their second generation. They never work as a team except in nesting season. Last year's babies have been brutally beaten away over the last month or so.

Today the parent birds went a sea eagle together. Magpies fly better than the Roulette's. They charged the eagle and both ended with an after-burner vertical ascent to barrel role stall turn back to the home tree. If I could ride a bike like they fly, I'd be Danny MacAskill

mtb1611

Seymour
Sorry for your hate, I love them. They are really intelligent and if you want to kill a bird, then you have a brain unworthy of the bird!

Magpies understand reason, not tennis racquets. Maggies need you to look them in the eye.

Our locals have new babies for a week or so. The parents seem to hate each other, but this is their second generation. They never work as a team except in nesting season. Last year's babies have been brutally beaten away over the last month or so.

Today the parent birds went a sea eagle together. Magpies fly better than the Roulette's. They charged the eagle and both ended with an after-burner vertical ascent to barrel role stall turn back to the home tree. If I could ride a bike like they fly, I'd be Danny MacAskill
Yeah, they're real intelligent. They can witness hundreds of riders in a 24 hour race ride through their territory without showing even the slightest hint of attacking their nest....and then attack the next rider because they're clearly going to attack said nest. Einstein with wings them magpies! And if you ever learn to ride a bike like they flew, and proceed to sweep me, I will hit you with a tennis racquet. Or a Trance X...

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there any way one could get a bird relocated? I've had my fair share of Maggie's and this one is brutal..

camo71

Likes Dirt
Ha yeh i have one trying to drill me everytime i head to the local track , though i take my hat off to anything that'll go something about 20x times bigger ,i keep the helmet on though ....

My son got hassled by a magpie when we were riding around dubbo zoo, it was very funny. Given the selection of wild life at the zoo I think he got off lightly.

Magpie v Plover ???

for me the magpie would win hands (wings) down

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Is there any way one could get a bird relocated? I've had my fair share of Maggie's and this one is brutal..
Try feeding it, if its around your place, give it raw mince, you can literally guarantee it wont hassle you again, i have been doing the same thing for 4 years now, not 1 maggie strike since, and i used to get hammered by them!

Without knowing the similarities between birds and dogs I can see this going a bit hitchcock.

*** bird dives down, hits rider's helmet, bird receives free feed ***

if word gets around I hope you are a fast rider to make it to the closest telephone booth (do they still exist ?)

styler

Likes Dirt
I have fantasies of killing the bastard piece of shite magpie that presides over a certain section of the Mt Annan course.
Was riding at Mount Annan 2 weeks ago, 4 laps without a issue, last lap the bastard just keep attacking me. Head down and pedal my ass off. I wont be riding Mount Annan for a while. That nest has been there for years you think they would have relocated them. They would have taken a few riders down by now.

moorey

call me Mia
Just fit one of those ghey looking long, upright zippy ties to your helmet.
You're all a pack of townie candy arses. Htfu and love the maggies.