Totally Over Magpies

I don't know about other Plovers, around other areas. But around here, the Plovers DON'T hit you, where as a Magpie, will just destroy you.
That's it, plovers are all squawk and not much else. FFS they carry on like a seagull and who ever took one of them seriously. Maggies put the beak in !!!

Ya never heard of a football team named the plovers have ya ?????

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had one once attack multiple times over 500m; always from behind, but I could see his shadow coming with the sun from behind and managed to move my head out of the way each time. Until he worked it out and came in from ground level and drilled the back of my head on the way up. I swear he was smiling down from the next tele pole and he let me go after that.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep. Anyone who says they aren't a smart bird has clearly suffered one too many beak blows to the head.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Wear a helmet and sunglasses and they can't hurt you.

Yep, can be a bit of a shock the first swoop if you are not expecting it, but after that, I just quietly giggle to myself as the bird knocks itself senseless on my lid.

A bit more of a pain when out running though, I have enough self respect (just) to not wear my helmet.

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
I disagree with the helmet and sunglasses thing. I had both on last week and got hit on the ear easily! Maybe it depends on the flying ability of said maggie :noidea:

wembas

Likes Dirt
they are smart... and evil.... they figure out pretty quickly that the side of your head is the sweet spot...

Toughy

Likes Bikes
they are smart... and evil.... they figure out pretty quickly that the side of your head is the sweet spot...
The one that went me a couple of weeks back learned quick smart that hitting the helmet wasn't having the desired effect, so started grabbing the back of the shirt instead. Thankfully it stopped after another 150m or so.

NatoDog

Cannon Fodder
There is a particularly bad bunch at Cobbler Creek,just above the paddock zone and also on new trails further up the hill.
According to folklore they have been there for many years.They got me again today.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Htfu, candy arse. I have one that I consider a friend. 200m stretch of road, hits my helmet at least 5 times every run. It's a ritual, he doesn't hurt me, I let him whack the helmet. Win win.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Htfu, candy arse. I have one that I consider a friend. 200m stretch of road, hits my helmet at least 5 times every run. It's a ritual, he doesn't hurt me, I let him whack the helmet. Win win.
Would that be the stretch on main road that runs behind sovereign Hill? Had one that used to get me every year, riding to and from Mt clear.

moorey

call me Mia
Would that be the stretch on main road that runs behind sovereign Hill? Had one that used to get me every year, riding to and from Mt clear.
Nah, the short street behind the Eastwood leisure centre that ends at Barkley st at the netty car park.
I love this little Maggie. He's got chutzpah :first:

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
Got swooped yesterday arvo at Mt Annan. My patented "bellow like an angry grizzly" technique had no effect whatsoever except to make me hoarse today.

Still, no actual contact, so I can't complain.