Tommy tape for tubeless?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yo, I have a couple rolls of Tommy Tape self fusing silicone tape laying around, 25mm width, and wondering if this stuff would work to set up tubeless or if I need to buy a thicker adhesive tape? Have heard gorilla tape is pretty good, if I did a tight double wrap of tommy tape would it provide a substantial enough seal on the rim or being non adhesive will it not provide adequate seal? anyone use this stuff? Cheers!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Give it a go. Personally, I use this stuff
Norton outdoor masking tape. Less than $5 for a 50m x 25mm roll at Bunnings. Wrap each rim twice.

stirk

Burner
I checked out the Tommy tape site and I'd say definitely not going to work. The advertisement says it has no adhesive but sticks to itself so I'd say it won't stick to a rim.

Mr King is using the stuff you need, personally going almost a year and no issues with the bear.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Wrap to the edges of the rim aye! That blue shite works good.

lol! I just read those multiply quotes under your post. Hmmm, the middle one doesn't sound good at all.
No, it doesn't.

Not $250 plus post good, that's for sure....

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Wrap twice!
Wrap to the edges of the rim aye! That blue shite works good.

lol! I just read those multiply quotes under your post. Hmmm, the middle one doesn't sound good at all.
How long has it been since the last time you wrapped the rim with the bear tape?

I'm almost up to a year and with an event coming up am debating whether or not to refresh.

I figure what ain't broke don't fix but interested in how long others have had the bear tape last. Thanks

Flow-Rider

Burner
How long has it been since the last time you wrapped the rim with the bear tape?

I'm almost up to a year and with an event coming up am debating whether or not to refresh.

I figure what ain't broke don't fix but interested in how long others have had the bear tape last. Thanks
Mine is only about 6 months old on one of my wheelsets but have since changed the tyres and everything looked good under there so far.

dunndog

Eats Squid
So just to be clear, when you say masking tape, you don't mean variations of the standard paper like masking tape do you? That photo looks like it has a glossy finish..

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
So just to be clear, when you say masking tape, you don't mean variations of the standard paper like masking tape do you? That photo looks like it has a glossy finish..
It's outdoor, weather proof specific tape. Has a plasticised surface

#nickstevensisachunt