Thumb injury

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Last Tuesday i injured my thumb catching a footy, the ball some how damaged the tissue in the muscle below the thumb. it was heavily swollen and blue for a good 3 days, it was agony, i continued to play sport (rugby) with it strapped which cause me some grief.

5 days later, the swelling has heavily reduced and most of the pain has gone. i did seek medical advice but they couldn't tell me anything without an x-ray although they said i could have torn the tissue. my main problem is that i can now bend my thumb back so that it nearly touches my wrist :eek:. I could not do this before and i defiantly can't do it on my other thumb. i need some advice on what could have caused this and if i should see a doctor or wait it out?

Any more advice or experiences are appreciated.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've experienced the exact same thing catching a football and gosh it hurt. Swollen thumb etc but no extra felxibility!

I'm not a doctor but I stronly advised against bending it backwards or playing with it in any sort of way.

saMfish

Likes Dirt
It's not like this is it? If it is, go to your local hospital immediately. A few days with this kind of injury (the one in the link above) is the difference between being able to fix it and having it fucked for life.

My thumb after tearing my ulnar collateral ligament and ripping a piece of bone off. Two surgeries plus 3 months off the bike and it's all good again.

Last edited:

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Wow, i don't think it is like this as i don't think it is directly the actual thumb more the muscle tissue below the thumb on the palm of the hand. it bends back directly behind the nail, not a side ways bend.

For your injury did the thumb directly hurt or was it the muscle on the palm?

also sorry to hear that.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it bends back directly behind the nail, not a side ways bend.
Pictures or it didn't happen!

And after sitting here playing with my thumb with a minute trying to bend it back, if yours can go all the way back to the wrist directly behind the nail, it'd seem it's pretty fucked! Doctor asap.