Thredbo Valley Trail - recommended min age

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

I'm heading down to Thredbo over Xmas and taking the family including our four year old child. He is pretty good on a bike, but struggles with hills - and he is only four.

I'm thinking of taking him on the Thredbo Valley trail, the one between Thredbo and Crackenback. I have not ridden it before.

From those of you with experience riding it, do you think it would be suitable or will it be too advanced? Is it possible to do part of it and organise a car to pick us up partway down it? Any idea where a good point to plan on for a pick up would be with easy access to the road?

From what I have read, it seems the first bit (until the first suspension bridge) is the easiest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode there last year.

My wife dropped myself and the kids off at Thredbo and we rode to Crackenback, were she met us for coffee and lunch at the cafe.

Firstly it’s a 2 way walking and riding track.

There is nothing technical on the track features wise - think flow trail style with a few shorter climbs.

It passes through both campsites which are about 12km and 14km in distance roughly, crackenback being 15km.

I was super unfit but it’s mainly losing elevation so was pretty easy. Don’t think it would be much fun the other way.

Make sure you also check out the trail near lake Jindabyne for the kids. The section from Hatchery bay to the caravan park is fun.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it runs parallel to the road though not always in sight so those campsites are the clear pick up points. I had planned to take my then 8 year old down and meet the car at Crackenback resort. not sure I would go much younger the whole way

wilso1

Likes Bikes
Someone who rides regularly won't find TVT difficult, but I've seen (& heard) that it spooks a few people who are expecting something more like a flat concrete path along a broad river bank. The middle section (between Ngarigo & Diggings campsites) is the more difficult, but mostly because it has some uphills and is narrower than the well-formed paths of the 1st and last sections. There are no technical features on any part of the trail. We saw a few young boys (8-10yo) arrive at Crackenback looking pretty shattered - it's too far for a 4yo.

The first section from Thredbo to Ngarigo is more downhill than uphill, but from memory still has some shortish uphills. Some of the bridges are pretty humped too, requiring even an adult to hit it with some speed. I'd guess your 4yo might not find those fun (and the descent off the other end ain't flat either).

For your 4yo, I would suggest the try last section from Thredbo Diggings campsite back to Crackenback. It's the shortest, it's a pretty wide gravel trail, and while it starts with a gradual uphill, it finishes with a just-as-moderate downhill. If he finds that a breeze, then try the first section. But as suggested above definitely also try the caravan park to Hatchery Bay trail - non-threatening, flat overall and only gentle ascents at best

I'll have the rides somewhere on strava , and could dig those up if you really wanted to see the profiles.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
The full Thredbo to crackenback track does have a number of ups and downs that would require a 4yr old to get off and push. I agree with the above poster that riding the entire length of the trail from Thredbo to Crackenback for the first time, sight unseen would be too much for a 4yr old.

If you want to ride it yourself before taking the little one along, I highly recommend booking (early) onto the free shuttle that Thredbo offer which means that you can just ride it as a descent. Riding the trail for yourself will probably be the best way to see if he might be up for it.

One option that you could definitely do is to leave the family at Thredbo Village, drive in your car down to Ngarigo campground, ride back up the TVT to the village, meet the family and then ride back down to the car. This would only be ~5-6km, predominantly downhill but with some undulations. This section of the trail would probably be the most fun for the little one and the family. It includes a few suspension bridges, easy terrain and beautiful views. However even on this section of the trail the little one will probably be pushing the bike for ~600m.

Trailforks shows the all section of the trail with elevation here: https://www.trailforks.com/region/thredbo-valley-track/

Just the Thredbo to Ngarigo section is here: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/thredbo-valley-track-thredbo-to-ngarigo/

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure when you say "the little one will probably be pushing the bike for ~600m" you meant to say "you will be pushing their bike for them for ~600m". Thats generally how it ends up working out :)