Thoughts on Enduro certified convertible helmets

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I'm looking at getting a new helmet but as I need it for general riding as well as trails, I'm looking at the new breed of Enduro certified convertible helmets.

How are they for chin protection strength in a crash? Would you trust one? Any recommendations?

LPG

likes thicc birds
I briefly looked at it but decided a breathable fullface was a better option. The convertible helmets are not really ideal in either situation with high weight for the protection offered. I found that by taking the cheek pads out of the breathable FF I was happy climbing in most any conditions and the cheek pads were easier to store.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I had the same decision to make in the end I went with a light weight high airflow full face a Specialized Gambit. Straight after I bought the Gambit someone gave me a TLD stage helmet. I prefer the Gambit.

I don't miss my half helmet.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've had a Bell Super 2R and a Super DH and both are good helmets but one thing I have found is that it's a bit of faffing around to fit the chin piece and it is a pain to carry the chin piece when you aren't wearing it. For my next helmet I was looking at a lightweight full face and just use the open face helmet for easier days on the bike. I was looking at something like the Proframe RS but they are a bit pricey at the moment. I'm hoping the price will come down when some newer models arrive. The original Proframe just doesn't fit my head.
A mate of mine has the Giro Swtichblade and because the chin piece isn't a full ring like on the Bell helmets, he can tuck one side into the back of his shorts or bum bag on the climbs and he can fit it while wearing it.
1707350819479.png

You also have to remember that the removable chin bar helmets are heavier than a fixed lightweight helmet, so after a big day riding it can be harder on your neck.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
In the last year I have purchased 2 new helmets, one full face and a "half lid".

Wasn't interested in a convertible, so I got a Leatt Gravity 4.0 and (more recently) an open face leatt.

$212 for the full face and just over $120 for the open face.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
i had the same decision.

i liked the idea of the convertible full/halfie but apparently they have issues with the pin that holds it in might come off and impale you in a big wreck which the thought kinda turned me off.

in the end i went with the fox proframe.

I'm not really a fan of the magnetic chin strap but oh well. gotta go with what fits most comfortably.

I'll proibably still update my halfie too later on.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
i had the same decision.

i liked the idea of the convertible full/halfie but apparently they have issues with the pin that holds it in might come off and impale you in a big wreck which the thought kinda turned me off.

in the end i went with the fox proframe.

I'm not really a fan of the magnetic chin strap but oh well. gotta go with what fits most comfortably.

I'll proibably still update my halfie too later on.
That the standard Proframe or the RS version?

I found the brow padding way too thin to fit my head. The Boa system was much more comfortable on the RS version. The extra $150 or so for the RS was a bit hard to swallow, so haven't nabbed one just yet. Maybe if the bike market bottoms out a bit more, I might find a better deal.

teK--

Eats Squid
There's a reason why Proframes are the most common lightweight fullface around.

They are comfy, not too hot to pedal in, and give a reasonable compromise of protection compared to a proper full face.

I had a convertible Bell Super when they first came out. I never removed the chinpiece to be honest, so the added complication I would not bother with in future.

95% of the time I just use a Fox Dropframe. Proframe for shuttle days.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hate on me all you like .
But

Specilized are doing a sale at present .

I have an older Ambush , no it’s not a full face nor convertible - but I like it for the back of the head protection , and it is cool to ride in - as in fantastic airflow .
The newer ones have mips and anti if you wish to crash and have your family find your body .

depends on melon size if you want colours etc

pretty much half price , for a discount head - and other styles avail

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
That the standard Proframe or the RS version?

I found the brow padding way too thin to fit my head. The Boa system was much more comfortable on the RS version. The extra $150 or so for the RS was a bit hard to swallow, so haven't nabbed one just yet. Maybe if the bike market bottoms out a bit more, I might find a better deal.
I got the RS version. the standard one just didn't feel as comfy.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Factor in the cost of a bumbag.
It’s actually illegal to run those lids without one.

but seriously, if u think u need a full face go all in with a d3 etc. otherwise enjoy the breeze on ur cheeks going commando ;)

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I bought my boys the 7iDP Project 23 (23 vents) in glass fibre and a composite 100% Aircraft. Both very sturdy DH level helmets with lots of vents.

#2 son had a D3, they are a head cooker. Arguably more protection that the above 2 but murder to ride up wearing one.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had my Proframe for many years now, does it's intended job well. Can be warm, but is still bearable on hotter days if you need to wear it. Not sure I'd bother with a convertible. The extra heat seems to come from the extra around the back and sides, I don't think taking the chin bar off will make a lot of difference other than making it easy to drink.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Sounds like a full face is the way to go.

I'm guessing helmets up to Enduro certified are lighter and airier than full DH ones?

I suit a Giro helmet shape, do full face follow the same rules or does internal padding change this somewhat?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Sounds like a full face is the way to go.

I'm guessing helmets up to Enduro certified are lighter and airier than full DH ones?

I suit a Giro helmet shape, do full face follow the same rules or does internal padding change this somewhat?

The leatt I bought replaced a Giro Remedy. It comes with 2 different thickness cheek pads. With the installed pads the fit wasn't optimal. Swapped the out and the helmet is comfy as.

scblack

Leucocholic
Convertible helmets are far and long away from new. I had a Giro Switchblade at least 20years ago.

As long as you dont expect full-face DH levels of protection - they are good to protect the face from less full-on falls.