Thinking of giving a gravel bike a crack

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
80 is still long... Why not see if you can borrow something first?
IT is but it has a 100mm stem on it now and I only really need to pull it back by about 20mm to be comfortable.

In regards to borrowing something, I don't really know that many people in this two horse town.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
So I need to get an 80mm stem (prob not more than 7 rise, but prefer 0) as the cockpit is a little too long for me and I'd like to be a touch more upright.

There's many brands of stems that I'm unfamiliar with (BBB, Pro, Zipp, Deda, Vision, etc.). A couple that I'm looking at are:
https://www.wiggle.com/au/p/ritchey-comp-4-axis-84d-stem?color=black&stemLengths=80mm @ $71 from Wiggle
https://www.wiggle.com/au/p/easton-ea90-stem?color=black&stemLengths=80mm+Length+|+0° @ $157 from Wiggle (little more than I want to fork out)
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/p/ritchey-wcs-c220-bike-stem?color=black&stemLengths=80mm+|+73° @ $116 from CC, but I'm not sure how to understand the degree of rise here, 73 or 84)

I've only chosen those ones right now as I'm familiar with those brands. Are there any brands that I should be avoiding?

Surprised at how little choice there is in Aust - Pushy's only has a single 80mm stem on offer!
I’ve had BBB, Pro and Deda before and they were all fine. Can’t recall ever having an issue with any stem, including the Aliexpress cheapies tbh.

What about a Ritchey? https://www.bikebug.com/ritchey-trail-stem.html

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'll have a look in the shed when I get home. Got a feeling I might have a Syntace one that I'd be happy to send to you. You could give it a crack and see if it works before committing

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I should have something around 70 or so. I will look. Aust post still services Canberra?

Nope I should check before saying stuff. Shortest is 90mm and too much angle, others are 100+ unless you want a Cannondale which wont fit anything and is just under a metre long.

Last edited:

hpatches

Likes Bikes
Have you tried the Recyclery? (Part of Canberra Environment Centre). They should have a big box of 2nd hand stems and the price will be right if you find the right size. Worth a look if you are anywhere near Gungaderra Homestead

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'll have a look in the shed when I get home. Got a feeling I might have a Syntace one that I'd be happy to send to you. You could give it a crack and see if it works before committing
I should have something around 70 or so. I will look. Aust post still services Canberra?

Nope I should check before saying stuff. Shortest is 90mm and too much angle, others are 100+ unless you want a Cannondale which wont fit anything and is just under a metre long.
Have you tried the Recyclery? (Part of Canberra Environment Centre). They should have a big box of 2nd hand stems and the price will be right if you find the right size. Worth a look if you are anywhere near Gungaderra Homestead
Thanks all; good suggestions and very generous.

This is bang on what I was looking for (forgotten about BikeBug, it's so long since I've shopped around for parts), purchase completed. Thanks.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@johnny post a pic of your cockpit setup from side on. There are other things with drop bars that can be done to make it more comfortable on the hands etc too. You might find in addition to the shorter stem that rolling your bars back even just the tiniest amount can change your hand/wrist position and make things more comfortable.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
@johnny post a pic of your cockpit setup from side on. There are other things with drop bars that can be done to make it more comfortable on the hands etc too. You might find in addition to the shorter stem that rolling your bars back even just the tiniest amount can change your hand/wrist position and make things more comfortable.
Best thing I ever did for my roadie was dropping $200 on getting it fitted properly.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yes, I've been planning on playing around with that when I get the new stem. Will post some pics.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Should have listened to @Dales Cannon 80mm was nowhere near short enough. I tried moving the seat forward on the rails a bit instead of getting a shorter stem, but it messed my pedaling position up - the further back I sit the more I can pull upwards with my heals when clipped in. The further forward I sit the more I pull up with my toes, which my knees don't like.

So, I picked up a 45mm stem, which has allowed me to move the seat back (almost) far enough. Took the bike onto dirt today for the first time. Felt pretty good, but they were only groomed trails (arboretum). I can see the benefits of the dropper, but the 50mm travel it has seems pretty insignificant; could do with a full 100mm to be properly useful.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I put this one togther using a Diverge EVO frameset (the flat bar geo gravel frame from Spez).
Popped some drop bars on it with a 90mm stem and waaaaaay too long as I expected.Slapped a 50mm on there and it's Boss.
Pic shows the 90mm BTW

Oh and it's for sale.
View attachment 403082
Thats a mighty fine looking machine indeed. Hard to argue with the brushed aloooominum look.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@johnny how's gravel life going? I'm having thoughts that are dangerous to my bank account about one of these... https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/revolt-advanced-2-2024
I'm really enjoying it, although I have only taken it onto dirt once so far (due to a fucking horrendous virus that I've only just got over, and time constrains), but will likely be getting a little bit of dirt in tomorrow morning on the commute to work. I've done a lot of bike path riding and I'm really happy with it, in general. I'd like the reach to be about 20mm less than it is, but that's more about my fit than the bike itself.

I'm constantly surprised at how light it is even though its steel (still got tubes in it as well) and love the acceleration I get out of it when I take off from a standing start. When I took it onto dirt at the Arboretum a few weeks back, I wasn't a fan of riding with my hands on the drops of the bars. The back of my neck had to strain to look up down the trail in that riding position. I also think that a 50mm dropper is a bit of a waste of time - it's definitely better than nothing, but why not just go 100mm and be done with it?

I'm looking forward to the commutes where I have a bit of time and can string O'Connor Ridge, Bruce Ridge and Black Mountain into my commute to work (which then takes me along the lake). It gets me to my desk in a much better frame of mind than sitting in traffic.

Lastly, the original RRP for the Norco Search XR S1 was $4k, I got mine for $2750 given the current market pressures. Worth seeing if you can do the same with that or another 2023 model.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm looking forward to the commutes where I have a bit of time and can string O'Connor Ridge, Bruce Ridge and Black Mountain into my commute to work (which then takes me along the lake).
That sounds like a cracking commute! He says totally not getting nostalgic for Canberra trails…

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
When I took it onto dirt at the Arboretum a few weeks back, I wasn't a fan of riding with my hands on the drops of the bars. The back of my neck had to strain to look up down the trail in that riding position.
It's the only way to ride them on dirt unfortunately, especially descents. I get the same thing with shoulders and back of neck, I have no idea how people ride them in the brindies etc.

I found not wearing my bulky heavy mtb lid helped with the strain a little (probably more psychological than anything).

Still a way cooler option than a pure roady though.