The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

donny70

Likes Dirt
Going to collect my alpinestars today from the powder coaters. He's had it 5 weeks now so hopefully it will be done.
Well surprise surprise it wasn't finished and what was done was shit quality and no apology either. 5 weeks and what I got had overspray from bad masking and drips. Worst service ever, no wonder I'm building my own powdercoating oven.

It's taken hours of work to clean up the mess and I still have a bit to do in the middle so I can put on the last decal.

Anyways this is what I've done so far.

donny70

Likes Dirt
I've done a good bit of filing, sanding and polishing to get it there. I have a set of magura HS22 racelines to go on there too. Fluro brakes for a fluro bike.

RAUCONS

Cannon Fodder
Ritchey is it???

Alright guys I have a bit of a challenge for you. I bought this bike in 1996 or 97 in Cairns. It had been stolen and repainted and was bought at a police auction. The bike has Ritchey vertical dropouts, slotted cable guides and a welded head tube junction with the head tube taking a 1" steerer tube (the forks in the picture are not the original forks). I think the seat tube / top tube / seat stay junction is lugged. The serial number is 5H 042 and at the time the bike had a shimano XT group set.

So what do you think it is?

I'm pretty sure this is not a Ritchey frame as no other Ritchey has this rear brake cable routing. From what i can tell it's a fairly decent frame for the time due to the components it came with, The ovalised top and down tube and the Ritchey dropouts.

BRETT, discovered the merits of your frame? I found something very similar here in Brazil, and the seller claims to be ritchey P 21. I think not. The tightening of the seat 21 P, are very different.
Hug.
Sorry for the English.

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-498991548-mtb-ritchey-p21-24v-old-school-_JM

Brett

Likes Dirt
Hey Raucons, I still have no idea what the frame is. I emailed this guy about it http://oldmountainbikes.com/ here's his reply:

I don't recognize the frame. It's definitely not a Ritchey model. It does look like a nice frame, and the serial number would imply that it is part of a smaller sized batch of frames.

I stripped a bit of the paint off the bottom bracket of mine and it is that dark blue colour similar to the Ritchey so who knows?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

floody

Wheel size expert
Slow progress on my STS-DH, I picked up a set of NOS GT/Hadley 'Super High End CNC' hubs, although sadly they are 4-bolt Formula pattern and what I do not possess is a set of Formula Evoluzione brakes to match. I also found a NOS RockShox DHO fork, however it is missing its axle (should be easy to get one machined up though). NOS Azonic World Force Doublewall bar, NOS Azonic Shorty stem. Chris King headset, original Kore post and I picked up a really neat cow print SDG Bel Air locally.

Thermoplastic 'tubes' aren't polished yet as I want to redo the downtube stickers, I fudged up fitting the driveside one and the angle is a bit off, so I'll do that then carnauba wax the plastic to bring the shine back.

Three big holdups are rims, brakes, tyres. I can't seem to find 121CD, 321CD or 521CD rims in 32h, the correct red Formula Evoluzione brakeset is rare as hens teeth (could use Hope Mini as an alternative), and I want either Hutchinson On-The-Rocks, Hutchinson Coyote or Michelin Comp 16/24/32/Hot/Hot S rubber.

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first
Slow progress on my STS-DH, I picked up a set of NOS GT/Hadley 'Super High End CNC' hubs, although sadly they are 4-bolt Formula pattern and what I do not possess is a set of Formula Evoluzione brakes to match. I also found a NOS RockShox DHO fork, however it is missing its axle (should be easy to get one machined up though). NOS Azonic World Force Doublewall bar, NOS Azonic Shorty stem. Chris King headset, original Kore post and I picked up a really neat cow print SDG Bel Air locally.

Thermoplastic 'tubes' aren't polished yet as I want to redo the downtube stickers, I fudged up fitting the driveside one and the angle is a bit off, so I'll do that then carnauba wax the plastic to bring the shine back.

Three big holdups are rims, brakes, tyres. I can't seem to find 121CD, 321CD or 521CD rims in 32h, the correct red Formula Evoluzione brakeset is rare as hens teeth (could use Hope Mini as an alternative), and I want either Hutchinson On-The-Rocks, Hutchinson Coyote or Michelin Comp 16/24/32/Hot/Hot S rubber.
I have 2 d321's mate 1 is pretty crap thou a few dings in it but one is fine just has a few marks and tatty stickers. I found NOS 36h D321's for my Giant cost an arm and a leg thou.

floody

Wheel size expert
I may have to take you up on that...though I'm holding out for NOS/very tidy rims as there is so much new stuff on it.

heavyp

You heard it here first
I may have to take you up on that...though I'm holding out for NOS/very tidy rims as there is so much new stuff on it.
Yeah fair call, ill try get some pics for ya. I have my Manitou X-Vert Carbons for sale too so ill be in touch about the forks.

moorey

call me Mia
If anyone wanted supernova's, a mate has a set sitting in his shed I doubt he'll ever use and would probably part with. Here's a pic from when he pulled them off the bike a couple of years ago. Unridden since AFAIF

heavyp

You heard it here first
If anyone wanted supernova's, a mate has a set sitting in his shed I doubt he'll ever use and would probably part with. Here's a pic from when he pulled them off the bike a couple of years ago. Unridden since AFAIF
:shocked: Amazing!!!!

I currently have a pair of Manitou X-Vert Carbon 7inch forks on ebay in the UK as there still over there up to 150 quid which im pretty stoked with.

floody

Wheel size expert
I sold a pair of the first generation carbon Xverts years ago for like $100. Le sigh. I've also thrown out a Tioga/Showa air fork, a Tioga disk drive on 121, and a set of Tioga Revolvers. Yeah...

moorey

call me Mia
Well, looks like supernova are taken.
Its not exactly vintage yet, but he's got a complete 02 patriot with 90% parts from that era and 02 boxxer team. If anyone wants more info or specs, let me know. Ps, I've been hassling him to sell me this for years, but I gave up and bought something else, now a month later, he wants to sell.

Edit. new manitou swinger is only new addition I think.
Hope hubs, ex325 rims, race face cranks, shimano brakes (not sure what), mrp guide, 02 boxxers

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I'll get full spec list tonight after he's home from work. Had a quick chat to him about price, and after a bit of discussion, looking at about $1000 as it sits there. I know he'd like more, but I think realistically, that's a more feasible price.
If someone didn't want it so original, for a couple of dollars more, I could chuck on 9x saint shifter and mech (810), and a silent guide.
Ill put up a proper thread in trading ASAP, but wanted to give the vintage boys a look in first.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Another pic I trawled up

Interested PM me late if thats cool. Patriot was my first ever bike bought with my own hard earn't money and here she is

Sold it for 900 quid after 3 months as i was desperate for money to move to Australia.

p4pb9044330.jpg