The stupid questions thread.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Years ago a mate of mine received a thai massage gift from his wife. He went along for it, and she proceeded to give him the tug. He jumped up and asked her to stop - he was happily married. She insisted she will continue, but he said no.

Was a funny story.
No wonder he was "happily" married. I'd be a lot less complainy if my missus gave me gifts like that.

#hashtag

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They do if you do a custom build and ask for it.

Most bikes are actually a build kit that come from the supplier just needing assembly. These are tubed as its quicker and easier so bigger profit margins

Plus accessories are a big market cant cut into that.
You wouldn't want to miss the chance for after sale sales...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Why don't bikes shops build bikes automatically with tubeless setups (where compatible)?
They do if you do a custom build and ask for it.

Most bikes are actually a build kit that come from the supplier just needing assembly. These are tubed as its quicker and easier so bigger profit margins

Plus accessories are a big market cant cut into that.
Doesn't need to be a custom build. My generic specialized came with the rims taped and valves in the bag, LBS asked if I wanted to run tubed or tubeless when I placed my order.

moorey

call me Mia
For the average schmuck, tubeless isn't a good idea anyway. I never tubeless the bikes I build for others.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
For the average schmuck, tubeless isn't a good idea anyway. I never tubeless the bikes I build for others.
I was thinking about it, but that's convinced me not to bother. Because as schmucks go, I'm pretty average.

It all seems like a lot of work, anyway.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hey guys

I have a shock pump just like this Raleigh. The rubber hose has developed a leak or crack just behind base of the connector/valve head.

Anyone know where to get a replacement hose or is it time to buy a new one. Already tried ebay "replacement shock pump hose" no luck..?

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey guys

I have a shock pump just like this Raleigh. The rubber hose has developed a leak or crack just behind base of the connector/valve head.

Anyone know where to get a replacement hose or is it time to buy a new one. Already tried ebay "replacement shock pump hose" no luck..?
Just buy a new pump. They arent particularly expensive. I've got a few spares if you want to pay too much for a second hand one?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So... With all the hype about the advantages of plus sized tyres is anyone contemplating going back to a 26" front wheel on a 650b bike or a 650b front wheel on a 29er to run plus on the pointy end?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
So... With all the hype about the advantages of plus sized tyres is anyone contemplating going back to a 26" front wheel on a 650b bike or a 650b front wheel on a 29er to run plus on the pointy end?
Running 26 in a 27.5 fork and keen to try a + size tyee but they are a bit thin on the ground in 26".

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What pressure in the front? This seems to me like the mx/enduro craze of yore running smaller wheels and baggier tyres. I convinced myself I could notice a difference but not everywhere.

As for plus tyres in 26" I have many choices.

Sounds like I need to get a cheapie wide 26" rim with 15QR and give it a go.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
What pressure in the front? This seems to me like the mx/enduro craze of yore running smaller wheels and baggier tyres. I convinced myself I could notice a difference but not everywhere.

What are your 26+ choices?

black rider

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

Clickbike.com.au have replacement hoses for $1. Start saving ;)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Why don't bikes shops build bikes automatically with tubeless setups (where compatible)?
Tubeless doesn't take kindly to being parked on the shelf & not rolled around when freshly done. It really needs to be ridden to get the sealant around the bead gaps fully, where it can then form a membrane as it dries. Shop staff have other things to do beside making sure the tyres are rotated to spread the sealant. It's that rather than the faffing around, which is actually pretty minimal. I'll only do a tubeless setup if requested when the bike is about to go out.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Clickbike.com.au have replacement hoses for $1. Start saving ;)
Oh man. I threw the shock pump in recycle bin last night. Just saw this and dump truck already took it away this morning... I don't think I will ever get over this... :doh::dread::frown-new:

mitchy_

Llama calmer

I ran that at 15psi for my test run. Have ordered rims fork front and rear and will experiment further. I've seen numbers around the 12-18psi mark, so I split the difference.

stirk

Burner
I like to bleed brand new brakes because I think the factory doesn't do a great nor consistent job. Am I doing it wrong?